Author Topic: automatic update problem  (Read 15657 times)

anti

automatic update problem
« on: April 13, 2005, 01:26:37 PM »
- Program: Already up to date
  (current version 4.6.639)
- Vps: Already up to date
  (current version 0515-1)

My automatic update is not working but manual update working. A red box with error message will appear. What wrong? My firewall is ZA basic and MS firewall

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: automatic update problem
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 01:33:02 PM »
- Program: Already up to date
  (current version 4.6.639)
- Vps: Already up to date
  (current version 0515-1)

My automatic update is not working but manual update working. A red box with error message will appear. What wrong? My firewall is ZA basic and MS firewall

How do you connect? Dial-up or permanent?
When the error occurs, at boot time?
Do you use XP?
The best things in life are free.

Fast

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005, 01:36:05 PM »
Hello Anti

do you connect to the internet using cable or dsl ?
If so, it could be that Avast! tries to connect BEFORE your internet-connection is established.
There should be a workaround for that here on the forums. Try to do a search for it using the keywords "update" and "dsl" .

edit: Sorry Technical, didnt notice you were there first. I believe you've got something in your "settings" about this one ?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 01:43:43 PM by Fast »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 01:42:27 PM »
There should be a workaround for that here on the forums.

If this is the problem, it's not a workaround, it's a solution  ;)
Change the value AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds on section [InetWD] into avast4.ini file.
Click Settings in my signature  8)

Fast

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005, 01:46:30 PM »
Yep, that's the one I meant !  :)
Thanks Technical.
Let's hope this solves anti's problem.

Fast

anti

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005, 05:21:50 PM »
There should be a workaround for that here on the forums.

If this is the problem, it's not a workaround, it's a solution  ;)
Change the value AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds on section [InetWD] into avast4.ini file.
Click Settings in my signature  8)

My is Dial-up and using XP, it happen after I connect to internet. Can teach me how to Change the value AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds on section [InetWD] into avast4.ini file. Can only find UseRAS and AssumeAlwaysConnected. The rest don't have. Do I need to add in?

ashserv.exe – application error
The instructions at “0x7c910e03” reference memory at “0x00000000”. The memory could not be “written”.
Click on OK to terminate the programme
sometime, this message will appear after I close the PC.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 06:14:16 PM by anti »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2005, 07:40:16 PM »
My is Dial-up and using XP, it happen after I connect to internet. Can teach me how to Change the value AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds on section [InetWD] into avast4.ini file. Can only find UseRAS and AssumeAlwaysConnected. The rest don't have. Do I need to add in?
Yes, this is written in the first post of that thread  ;D
You should add the value but with a dial-up, I'm not sure it will work and the detection of the connection is different.
If I'm not wrong, when a dial-up connection is stablished, avast waits a minute (or something like that) to start updating...
Did you allow avast.setup to connect the Internet into ZA settings?

ashserv.exe – application error The instructions at “0x7c910e03” reference memory at “0x00000000”. The memory could not be “written”.
Click on OK to terminate the programme sometime, this message will appear after I close the PC.
avast! was scanning something when you try to shutdown... Go to folder \windows\minidump and send the newest (recent) .mdmp files to vlk@avast.com or rypacek@asw.cz for further analysis? Better if you can compress (zip) them and add the link for this thread.  ;)

Alternatively, you can upload the file(s) to Alwil anonymous ftp servers:
ftp://ftp.asw.cz/incoming
ftp://www2.asw.cz/incoming

anti

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2005, 04:10:14 PM »
Yes, this is written in the first post of that thread  ;D
You should add the value but with a dial-up, I'm not sure it will work and the detection of the connection is different.
If I'm not wrong, when a dial-up connection is stablished, avast waits a minute (or something like that) to start updating...
Did you allow avast.setup to connect the Internet into ZA settings?

ashserv.exe – application error The instructions at “0x7c910e03” reference memory at “0x00000000”. The memory could not be “written”.
Click on OK to terminate the programme sometime, this message will appear after I close the PC.
avast! was scanning something when you try to shutdown... Go to folder \windows\minidump and send the newest (recent) .mdmp files to vlk@avast.com or rypacek@asw.cz for further analysis? Better if you can compress (zip) them and add the link for this thread.  ;)

Alternatively, you can upload the file(s) to Alwil anonymous ftp servers:
ftp://ftp.asw.cz/incoming
ftp://www2.asw.cz/incoming

I didn't find the 2 file you mentioned(avast.setup and folder \windows\minidump and send the newest (recent) .mdmp files).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2005, 05:48:18 AM »
I didn't find the 2 file you mentioned (avast.setup).
Where are you looking for? Windows Explorer? You won't find it... it's a temporary file used to update avast.
avast.setup should be in the list of the applications allowed to connect the Internet into ZoneAlarm settings (Programs tab).
If it's not there, ask for a manual update and see what you get...
Nothing? Then it should be there or ZA must ask you to allow it to connect...

and folder \windows\minidump and send the newest (recent) .mdmp files)
Don't worry, if these files do not exist, your Windows did not crash  8)

thetiffykitty

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2005, 04:33:01 PM »
I'm having a similar problem with auto updater only I can't update at all, auto or manually. I constantly get "cannot connect to server". This has only been since I moved, and the computer was disconnected from the cable internet for about a month.

The questions you asked anti:

I'm on cable modem, always on. Win98 SE. No other firewalls.

Email tech support has told me to uninstall and reinstall and I did. Same problem. Then he thinks its a problem with a proxy setting. I don't use a proxy server, and avast! is set to use IExplore settings.
I've run connection tests on both Direct Connection (no Proxy) and Auto Detect and gotten the same results: cannot connect to server.

Here is a little bit of the end of the error log:

19.04.2005 10:31:37 package: ERROR:HttpGetWinsock, WinsockTcpConnect() returned 0x00002AF9
19.04.2005 10:31:37 general: InvalidateCurrent: invalidated server 'Download10 AVAST server' from 'main'
19.04.2005 10:31:37 general: SelectCurrent: selected server 'Download8 AVAST server' from 'main'
19.04.2005 10:31:37 package: ERROR:HttpGetWinsock, WinsockTcpConnect() returned 0x00002AF9
19.04.2005 10:31:37 general: InvalidateCurrent: invalidated server 'Download8 AVAST server' from 'main'
19.04.2005 10:31:37 general: SelectCurrent: selected server 'Download16 AVAST server' from 'main'
19.04.2005 10:31:37 general: InvalidateCurrent: invalidated server 'Download16 AVAST server' from 'main'
19.04.2005 10:31:37 general: SelectCurrent: unable to find any suitable server in 'main'
19.04.2005 10:31:37 general: progress end - 0
19.04.2005 10:31:37 general: progress thread end

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2005, 04:38:09 PM by thetiffykitty »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2005, 05:54:19 PM »

But can you browse, send mail, etc.?
It seems that you have a WinSock problem  :-[

thetiffykitty

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2005, 06:17:46 PM »
I'm not having any trouble with the internet or email.

kubecj

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2005, 11:51:21 AM »
0x2AF9 is 'No such host is known.'

So that seems that setup is unable to resolve the address of our websites. It's some misconfiguration problem on your side, I suspect wrongly configured firewall, which is blocking internet access for the setup.

thetiffykitty

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2005, 03:27:37 PM »
i don't have a firewall. avast is all im running

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2005, 03:35:40 PM »
Can you e.g. click this link: http://download9.avast.com . Do you see the standard avast web page?
BTW what browser are you using?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.