Author Topic: Explanation of some of the new features in Avast  (Read 13637 times)

spywar

Re: Explanation of some of the new features in Avast
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2013, 08:51:41 AM »
Thanks for all those infos concerning v9.

spywar

thug4real

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2013, 07:25:45 PM »
You welcome spywar. Off topic: when we will see a new test with avast :) ?

Arnold72

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2013, 07:44:03 PM »
Well yes this true, V9 is closer and closer with every month. Beside all the new features that will be added, one thing I'm really happy, the V9 will abandon the proxy and will use something else, which is a good news, for users that use avast along with privatefirewall, or windows firewall. So can't wait next year for the V9 ;D

Hmm it is perhaps good news that avast is abandoning the proxy..Unfortunately the web shield has unearthed an issue with firewalls which changing proxies will not cure.

Malware may still use the same techniques emploted by the web shield.

Just a thought..

thug4real

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2013, 08:45:15 PM »
Well yes this true, V9 is closer and closer with every month. Beside all the new features that will be added, one thing I'm really happy, the V9 will abandon the proxy and will use something else, which is a good news, for users that use avast along with privatefirewall, or windows firewall. So can't wait next year for the V9 ;D

Hmm it is perhaps good news that avast is abandoning the proxy..Unfortunately the web shield has unearthed an issue with firewalls which changing proxies will not cure.

Malware may still use the same techniques emploted by the web shield.

Just a thought..
Yes this is true, but first the malware must pass from avast. And if you use avast! and common sense, windows 7/8 firewall+nat router, then you should be fine, or you could replace windows firewall with comodo firewall. I personally feel pretty safe with the first suggestion. :)

Arnold72

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2013, 08:54:29 PM »
I 100% agree.
Im not using avast at the present time due to installation difficulties.
Using CIS at the moment.

Just to add though..
When i used CFW v5.10 and avast in tandem i never experienced any of the issues in terms of blocking etc.
Im awaiting a new release of avast before diving in again.

Thank you.

thug4real

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2013, 09:06:52 PM »
I 100% agree.
Im not using avast at the present time due to installation difficulties.
Using CIS at the moment.

Just to add though..
When i used CFW v5.10 and avast in tandem i never experienced any of the issues in terms of blocking etc.

Thank you.
Well I was using CIS till last update, another release with bugs, so I returned to my avast 8). Since windows 7 is hard to find 2 software that work 100%(av+fw). Indeed comdo fw and avast free is the strongest combo ;). Ok good luck hope the next version of avast to play well for you :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2013, 09:51:54 PM »

No one knows as has been said in this topic, no schedules.

As I have said speculation is pointless.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

thug4real

« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2013, 09:11:58 AM »

No one knows as has been said in this topic, no schedules.

As I have said speculation is pointless.
No David you misunderstood me  :). I was asking spywar: when he will make a new test with the current version of avast!8 free?

Offline abruptum

• Massive Poster
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2013, 09:24:00 AM »
I think that smart people from Avast should make some supplement or addon for
Windows Firewall so it can work with Web Shield.I don't expect any help from Microsoft.
Maybe  that is too complicated...I don't know.

thug4real

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2013, 11:05:09 AM »
I think that smart people from Avast should make some supplement or addon for
Windows Firewall so it can work with Web Shield.I don't expect any help from Microsoft.
Maybe  that is too complicated...I don't know.
Well they don't need to do nothing, because avast 8 free! is fully compatible with windows firewall, by default windows firewall allow all outgoing connection, so nothing incompatible here. If you turn on the outgoing protection(or you select some application to be blocked by WFw then you start to have some problem i.e. with Firefox, IE, an others, but who will block browser from internet connection). So from version 9 they will abandon the proxy as concept not because WFw can't filter localhost. So from V9 you could use again avast! free in combo with other firewall(i.e. privatefirewall, and others that currently like WFw can't filter localhost).

true indian

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2013, 06:35:16 PM »

Sorry but you have been requested 1001 times to upload your dumps to avast but you dont want to comply and considering the fact that each PC has a unique fix,avast team may want your dumps to fix any new issue,so without complying and just simply moaning about new version and BSOD isnt going to help avast team,please try and co-operate,This is my kind request.

Pubert E

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2013, 08:14:38 PM »
arnold and co.
who care about co - mo - do  >:(
this topic is avast

Arnold72

« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2013, 08:18:08 PM »
arnold and co.
this topic is avast

I agree with you pubert to a certain extent.
Im only using their firewall as i dont rate their av at all and avast is better in that respect.

Only reason i use comodo firewall is because its the only free one except outpost i have tried and it works.

Thanks.

Aventador

« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2013, 08:31:30 PM »
arnold and co.
this topic is avast

I agree with you pubert to a certain extent.
Im only using their firewall as i dont rate their av at all and avast is better in that respect.

Only reason i use comodo firewall is because its the only free one except outpost i have tried and it works.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm. Cough. Cough. And Windows Firewall with Advanced Security isn't free?  ::)

Thanks.