Author Topic: "Some files could not be scanned"  (Read 15198 times)

muymalestado

"Some files could not be scanned"
« on: June 19, 2013, 01:51:26 PM »
Free anti virus version for domestic use.

After Quick or Full scans this message tops the Scan Results panel, followed by a list of path+filenames.

These seem to occur in groups each group of files related to one or other program and all with Status "Error: Archive is password protected (42056)".  There is no Severity and no Action.

Some programs are 'odd' to me others seem more like system programs, such as 'install_flashplayer'.

Should I worry?
Should I find these and delete them?
Is Repair a disabled feature for the free version?

Thank you.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: "Some files could not be scanned"
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 02:44:41 PM »
1. Should I worry?
2. Should I find these and delete them?
3. Is Repair a disabled feature for the free version?

1.-3. No.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 03:01:48 PM »
"Error: Archive is password protected (42056)".  There is no Severity and no Action.
because they are not infections...... avast will only take action on infected files, and infected files are given a malware name

search the forum for.... Archive is password protected   or   Some files could not be scanned ....and you find lots of info
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 02:35:12 PM by Pondus »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 03:03:15 PM »
Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.

Many programs (usually security based ones) password protect their files for legitimate reasons, there are others (and avast doesn't know the password or have any way of using it even if it did know it).

By examining 1) the file name, 2) reason given by avast! for not being able to scan the files, 3) the location of the files, you can get an idea of what program they relate to. You may need to expand the column headings to see all the text.

If you can give some examples of those file names, the locations and reason given why it can't be scanned might help us further ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline rob24

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 09:01:26 PM »
Sorry to butt in on a oldish thread. I see there's lots covering this. I got this a month or so ago, now for the last couple days I am again. It is presumable something to do with old files but below is a screenshot, one showing the path
Intel Core i5 CPU 4 x 3200 Mhz, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, Windows 10 64 bit, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.6 free, Superantispyware.
Samsung S3 mobile with Avast Mobile Pro and on Lenovo tablet.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 10:46:46 PM »
empty Your recycle bin and reboot...do a New scan....any change?

Offline rob24

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 12:17:23 AM »
Well sort of a change. But still a load of files not scanned. I guess not to worry though. I wonder if it has to do with System Restore. I tried to do a restore a day or two ago and it was unsuccessful in that it did not restore the computer to a earlier time. It's a pretty broken OS after several years now.
Intel Core i5 CPU 4 x 3200 Mhz, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, Windows 10 64 bit, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.6 free, Superantispyware.
Samsung S3 mobile with Avast Mobile Pro and on Lenovo tablet.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 12:23:01 AM »
yes they are restore Points... you may remove old restore Points if you want....

anyway, as you already know, files not scanned errors are just a scan error report and not a infection....avast just tell you it could not scan the files and the reason why

Jim Bruce

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 04:37:32 PM »
I had the same "Some Files Could Not be Scanned" error message. 

I put this on an FTP site, then discovered this forum allows attachments (this is nice!).  A suggestion though, I think its useful for all such reports to be in text files so that cutting and pasting bits of them would be easy.  I could even cut an individual file name and search for it.

If its any easier here is the image file which your browser will display.

http://www.lex.sk.ca/couldnotscan.jpg

Any advice as to what these files are and what can be done?

Jim

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 07:23:23 PM »
As has been said:
Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.

Given that they are in a temp folder it looks like it is an incomplete download (that is the .part file type) and avast can't unpack the password protected archive (.part file)

Empty your temp folder if you wish.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Jim Bruce

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 08:01:46 PM »
Browsed to this folder in Windows explorer

C:\Users\Jim\AppData\Local\Temp\TEMP

Folder is reported as "empty" although I have set file read options to show invisible files.

I assume this means that these files could not be repaired but they were deleted?

Jim

Offline Michael (alan1998)

• Massive Poster
  • Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 08:04:00 PM »
Hi, THey might be set a .sys files. Nothing wrong.
VOLUNTEER

Senior Security Analyst; Sys Admin (Linux); Forensics/Incident Response.

Security is a mindset, not an application. Think BEFORE you click.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 08:12:02 PM »
I assume this means that these files could not be repaired but they were deleted?
avast is a antivirus program and will only take action on infected files.....

you can empty temp folders with TFC cleaner    http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/files/file/187-tfc-temp-file-cleaner-by-oldtimer/

Jim Bruce

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2014, 08:21:22 PM »
I never deleted my files manually from the temp folder but Windows Explorer reported the folder as empty.

What then has happened?  Are the file fragments there and can't be read as files?

Should I take two aspirins and assume everything is all right  under the assumption that what I can't see can't hurt me?   :D

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2014, 08:27:48 PM »
run TFC and they are gone .... for now

it is normal to have some files that cant be scanned (they are not always located in temp folders)...this happens to evry AV but not all show it in the log ...on some you have to activate advanced logging to see scan errors

« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 08:31:05 PM by Pondus »