Author Topic: The Reason for avastUI.exe?  (Read 9305 times)

Johnny4745

The Reason for avastUI.exe?
« on: June 21, 2013, 11:40:33 PM »
I remember someone telling me that avastUI.exe had nothing to do with connecting to the Internet.

It has everything to do with connecting to the Internet, and as far as I can tell, nothing to do with the User Interface in Avast.

I can block Google.com in the Firewall under Packet Rules, and I can no longer connect to any website, but I still have access to Avast, and the Firewall is steadily blocking incoming and out going packets.

So I want to know why my Internet Connection depends on a connection to Google?

It's very easy to test.  Check the Attachment below.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: The Reason for avastUI.exe?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 12:06:19 AM »
I remember someone telling me that avastUI.exe had nothing to do with connecting to the Internet.

It has everything to do with connecting to the Internet, and as far as I can tell, nothing to do with the User Interface in Avast.

I can block Google.com in the Firewall under Packet Rules, and I can no longer connect to any website, but I still have access to Avast, and the Firewall is steadily blocking incoming and out going packets.

You just created a block all rule in and out and named it Google.com. You could name it anything and it will still block everything with that rule.

Quit making wild accusations.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 12:28:15 AM by Charyb »

Johnny4745

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 01:07:10 AM »

You just created a block all rule in and out and named it Google.com. You could name it anything and it will still block everything with that rule.

Have you tried it?  I have.  I changed it to grc.com, and it didn't block anything.

When you use Google.com as the block rule, the avastUI.exe connection disappears from Internet Connections.

FastMiddle

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 01:13:17 AM »
Charyb is right about this. "Google.com" is the name of the rule, and not an address being blocked!
as you can see you have nothing on the column address and Google.com is under the name column"

Johnny4745

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 01:39:32 AM »
Charyb is right about this. "Google.com" is the name of the rule, and not an address being blocked!
as you can see you have nothing on the column address and Google.com is under the name column"

I don't know why the Internet connection wasn't interrupted when I used grc.com, but it doesn't matter.

If what you say is true, and I can put anything in there, and that will stop my Internet connection, then that shouldn't be happening.

If you will check out the IP address for avastUI.exe, you will find it is Google.  So no matter how it's shutdown, the connection to Google is gone, and so is the connection to the Internet.

The Avast User Interface is still there, and the Firewall is still active.

Johnny4745

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 02:00:22 AM »

[/quote]

[/quote]

Which wild accusation are you talking about?

FastMiddle

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 02:27:18 AM »
If you will check out the IP address for avastUI.exe, you will find it is Google.  So no matter how it's shutdown, the connection to Google is gone, and so is the connection to the Internet.
how do you determine that avastUI is connecting to google?
It's possible that the interface as some Google app built in, eg community functionality, and that might be what you are seeing. - ofc this would have to be confirmed by someone from avast, or another more knowledge user.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 02:59:25 AM »
Hi folks,

Haven't we been there before: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=109668.0
You know how to make a netstat -an query and look-up the connection pid  in Task Manager....try that...
Only connection I have is for Host Name:     r-053-042-234-077.ff.avast.com
IP Address:    77.234.42.53 Avast! Streaming updates server - so connected to the avast cloud PoP Miami

-> http://www.ip-tracker.org/lookup/whois-lookup.php?query=77.234.42.53

Why someone would bring Google into this discussion. Google Analytics is on almost every web page globally. That is no news.
Nothing to do with avast av an sich..

polonus
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 03:15:37 AM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 03:07:42 AM »
It's possible that the interface as some Google app built in, eg community functionality, and that might be what you are seeing. - ofc this would have to be confirmed by someone from avast, or another more knowledge user.

It has already been stated by one of the avast team that the google-analytics functionality is used to see how the user interface is used, e.g. what areas are most used, etc. how the user moves through the interface.

This helps to see any areas that can be improved to make the user interface making it more ergonomic/user friendly in future UI updates..

Now this isn't word for word what was said but from my memory of what was said in another topic, I think it is google-analytics which is the function used to do this UI analysis.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 03:25:58 AM »
Hi DavidR,

I can confirm I have read something in a similar line here form an avast! team member. I remembered the Google Analytics bit. If the metadata only are anonymized interface preference details, then what could be the problem? Too many users here with PRISM conspiracy fed ideas i.m.h.o. or just a form of trolling!

If you put a photo of your room on line you also send along the geo-location metadata, and some party could know where you live. Well we have that technology now and have to live with it, but that is not to say that anyone is actually complaining about these features...

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Johnny4745

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 03:32:18 AM »

It has already been stated by one of the avast team that the google-analytics functionality is used to see how the user interface is used, e.g. what areas are most used, etc. how the user moves through the interface.

This helps to see any areas that can be improved to make the user interface making it more ergonomic/user friendly in future UI updates..

Now this isn't word for word what was said but from my memory of what was said in another topic, I think it is google-analytics which is the function used to do this UI analysis.

Google analytics has nothing to do with it.  It is already present on the Avast forums as a persistent tracking cookie, which can be blocked.  avastUI.exe can't be blocked and still have internet service.

Every connection you make to the internet goes through avastUI.exe.

You know it, and everyone that keeps up with the news knows that Google is the biggest Snoop around, that collects personal information, and has paid millions of dollars in fines in several countries.

The Avast antivirus program is supposed to provide privacy and security, when it actually allows Google to follow every move you make on the internet.

This is not necessary and you know it.  I would say Google is paying Avast for this service, and Avast cares nothing about your personal privacy.

Johnny4745

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2013, 03:33:43 AM »
Hi DavidR,

I can confirm I have read something in a similar line here form an avast! team member. I remembered the Google Analytics bit. If the metadata only are anonymized interface preference details, then what could be the problem? Too many users here with PRISM conspiracy fed ideas i.m.h.o. or just a form of trolling!

If you put a photo of your room on line you also send along the geo-location metadata, and some party could know where you live. Well we have that technology now and have to live with it, but that is not to say that anyone is actually complaining about these features...

polonus

Do you trust Google?

iroc9555

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2013, 03:40:37 AM »
...It has already been stated by one of the avast team that the google-analytics functionality is used to see how the user interface is used, e.g. what areas are most used, etc. how the user moves through the interface.

You are right DavidR. Here you go: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=126470.msg950033#msg950033

Johnny4745

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2013, 03:43:20 AM »
...It has already been stated by one of the avast team that the google-analytics functionality is used to see how the user interface is used, e.g. what areas are most used, etc. how the user moves through the interface.

You are right DavidR. Here you go: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=126470.msg950033#msg950033

He is not right, and that link you posted has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

cooby

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2013, 03:53:22 AM »
Johnny4745,
Two subjects:
(1) You have created what in many firewalls is simply called a BLOCK ALL rule.
That is a very handy thing. Anything not in your rules is denied. If you don't have such a rule, a good firewall will ASK and then you can deny or allow or make a rule from the alert. I don't know how Avast FW works, but looking at your screenie, I'd guess it's the same.
Good old reference about firewalls - this is a link just to the last, 4th, chapter of CrazyM opus magnum, valid to this day:
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=4426

(2) google.com connection. Well, much debate on this forum, and as DavidR says, it's there, that's it. As a matter of fact, if you use hosts file which blocks a lot of google ad servers, you will see in avast's HtmlRemoteContent.log this kind of entries - because hosts file is blocking it here. 12002 likely means no connect.
HttpSendRequest returned  12002 for: Host: www.google-analytics.com
No big deal really IMO. Even if allowed, it's harmless, they just snoop and count.

And a request to you or someone. I am mildly interested in looking at Avast firewall seeing that packet rules exist here. Is there a detailed manual about how rules are made, about alerts, about making rules from alerts, that sort of thing. Where can one find it?