Author Topic: Malwarebytes Completes Acquisition of ZeroVulnerabilityLabs  (Read 11986 times)

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
Re: Malwarebytes Completes Acquisition of ZeroVulnerabilityLabs
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2013, 11:52:07 PM »
i trashed EMET 4.0 ... random apps crashing, several BSODs (yay for injecting EMET into critical unrelated processes)
3.0 was relatively stable, 3.5 was relatively unstable, 4.0 is still unstable
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2013, 12:07:02 AM »
Hi Dwarden,

Thank you very much for confirming what I stated about emet 4.0 with "the issues". You specified them. I would not trust emet in the hands of the unadvised.
It would turn "emet" into "met", the Hebrew word met meaning "death", emet meaning "truth"....

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2013, 12:25:29 AM »
What the critique sums up to is that any script blocker - virtual machine combination is better than mb-a-e. That users rather should install emet 4.0 even with the known "issues". I think it is a valuable added layer of security, 2004 coding or not. It alerted and stopped 8 attacks for me, while there were no other alerts going, whether this is on the attack level (could also be user induced) or preventing "initial" payload execution is a second discussion. My first notion also was to think of a fud tool with snake oil functionality. What kept me thinking of a clever outlay of the tool is with the three independant parts acting together, They never said that  this tool was anything else than a payload (execution) blocker...if it is a dummy proof extra coming as an install and forrget, I am for it when it comes out of general beta phase, which it has not yet reached..

polonus

Yes this program (MBAE) is still in its infancy(relatively speaking) no matter what it's called. And I do agree with you Damian, it has always been billed as an Exploit (Payload Execution) blocker  8)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 12:27:33 AM by schmidthouse »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2013, 12:58:30 AM »
Thanks, schmidthouse,

"quod erat demonstrandum"

polonus

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2013, 02:33:05 AM »
@Polonus do you global exclusion the Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit into Avast, because the Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Shielded application count keeps on going back and forward...0 to 1 all the time is this because is conflicting with the Avast 'BS', 'WS' & 'SS' I just got a feeling that Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit doesn't seem to play very well with Avast or maybe is my FF v22.0. And I'm fully aware Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit is only at beta stage ;)
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2013, 03:44:03 AM »
@Polonus do you global exclusion the Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit into Avast, because the Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Shielded application count keeps on going back and forward...0 to 1 all the time is this because is conflicting with the Avast 'BS', 'WS' & 'SS' I just got a feeling that Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit doesn't seem to play very well with Avast or maybe is my FF v22.0. And I'm fully aware Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit is only at beta stage ;)

From following this program and using it from early on, I can tell you the "shielded applications" counter has been bugging since the beginning and they havn't completely solved this issue (even yet)
You can always confirm the shielded app by checking the logs tab. :)

If you like you can follow here: http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=128314

Edit: I should also mention I have not had any, nor have I read of any issues between Avast and ExploitShield now MBAE.
I don't believe Polonus has had any issues either, but I should let him speak for himself. ;) 8)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 04:41:34 AM by schmidthouse »

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2013, 11:04:56 AM »
@schmidthouse thank you for you're feedback I do really appreciate your help on this issue while I was waiting for polonus feedback, well to tell you the real truth this issue still hasn't been fix on v0.9.2 as been said on Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Shielded forum from Malwarebytes as I'm currently using the latest FF v22.0 ;)

Edit: Yes according to Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Shielded log saying FF is protected while the shielded application count keeps on going back and forward...0 to 1 all the time which is bloody strange.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 11:24:30 AM by SpeedyPC »
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2013, 11:36:33 AM »
Yes, there are bugs and hick-ups. Code is not yet in thegeneral beta phase. Beyond an occasional crash, I did not see programs shut down. Thereis also an issue withWindows Defender,

polonus

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2013, 04:13:35 PM »
The following is even stranger:

I have -4 Shield applications ???
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2013, 08:15:20 PM »
The following is even stranger:

I have -4 Shield applications ???

Hi Bob, Are you using the latest beta version? [ 0.9.2.1200] Found here:http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=128145
Apparently this "back counting" bug was/is supposed to be fix in this latest version.
You could report that in this thread if you care too : http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=128314
I have not seen that with my installation, but the ' showing 0 shielded apps' when there are shielded Apps, is still bugged. ;)
Not sure if that helps. ;)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 08:21:44 PM by schmidthouse »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2013, 12:14:58 AM »
Hi schmidthouse,

See some comments on the code used starting from C : \ E n u m I n j e c t R e q u e s t   c r a s h ,  C : \ S e s s i o n G o n e   c r a s h, C : \ P r o c e s s G o n e   c r a s h,  C : \ D e s k t o p \ I o c t l   c r a s h - accessibility identifiers to all the elements: pViewOfSection  ZwCreateSection  routine creates a section object. driver - ZwCreateFile  ZwWriteFile - there is ExAllocatePoolXXX function set to allocate memory from the system pools and ExFreePool to release. ..... are zero terminated ->V ExFreePool _stricmp  -declaration of _SYSTEM_PROCESSES structure ( System Information Class 5 ) with ZwQuerySystemInformation works fine for this purpose to construct process tree -> ZwQuerySystemInformation  - write user mem from driver -PEPROCESS)process,&ApcStAte) write user memory from driver -KeStackAttachProcess - this has a  strange kernel-mode bug ->PsLookupProcessByProcessId  - POSIX functions are deprecated. Use the ISO C++ conformant _stricmp instead for wcsicmp - depending on an undocumented function as ZwQueryInformationProcess API available in NTDLL.dll -- ObfDereferenceObject decrements the given object's reference count and performs retention checks - KeUnstackDetachProcess  detaches the current thread from the address space of a process and restores the previous attach state -- ObOpenObjectByPointer function opens an object referenced by a pointer and returns a handle to the object, this is minifiltering -- memmove moves block of memory- ZwQueryInformationToken - ZwAllocateVirtualMemory  - ZwQueryInformationFile  - wcscat, function is deprecated because more secure versions are available - - KeInitializeMutex mutex on a struct for a kernel device driver - should be tested with https://www.reactos.org/archives/public/ros-diffs/2012-September/047083.html (source tfaber)- KeWaitForSingleObject, the thread calls KeWaitForSingleObject with a pointer to the timer object, which puts the thread into a wait state  - KeReleaseMutex  KeReleaseMutex routine releases a mutex object, and specifies whether the caller is to call one of the KeWaitXxx routines for certain wait reasons -  _wcslwr depreceated used to cleanup the /lib directory-  RtlCompareMemory routine compares two blocks of memory and returns thenumber of bytes that match-RtlUnwind will initiate an unwind of procedure call frames -ntoskrnl.exe is the   OS kernel image, provides and segments kernel space, and manages services such as hardware virtualization, memory management, and process scheduling
. This is a short oversight, and possible weak points are set out in bold,

enjoy,

Damian
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 12:20:20 AM by polonus »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2013, 02:54:11 PM »
Hi forum friends,

An answer to the above can be found here: http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=128456&hl=%2Banalyzer
So a new hooking framework is under development. Recently there was also a glitch in the cooperation of mba-e and the chrome browser resulting in bringing down mba-e, so it had to be restarted. Also saw in the logs:
Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit can not create the Inter-Process Communication (IPC) Channel
-> security consequences can be serious: http://blog.chromium.org/2012/05/tale-of-two-pwnies-part-1.html and see:
http://www.giac.org/paper/gcih/466/ipc-share-exploit-methodology-chinese-attackers/103860

polonus

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2013, 07:50:42 PM »
Thanks for posting the response to your inquiry Pol.
I gave it a little push so Pedro would notice. ;)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2013, 08:03:35 PM »
Hi schmidthouse,

Thanks for keeping a finger on the pulse for me.
We will keep this beta reports coming here and there as well.
I will keep you informed of upcoming developments my friend.....

polonus

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2013, 03:29:43 PM »
Got a crash for the mbae executable with this error: module with error MSVCR100D.dll, version 10.0.30319.1, timestamp 0x4ba1dbd4, exclusion code 0xc0000005, errormarge 0x000f32a4, process-id 0xb50, starttime 0x01ce75820df000b1.
 MSVCR100D is debug version of runtime library used by VC2010
Could have been an issue with avast as special apps have been incorrectly patched for behav.shields/sandbox before as avast! team member pk has reported earlier, could have issues with mbae.exe also, but I think the crash is Google Chrome browser related because of the mentioned process-id.
Also checked through dzdiag.exe, but everything there seems OK.
See test page: http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/f32a4/index.htm

polonus