Author Topic: Root install Problems with HTC ONE M7  (Read 9870 times)

zieg-air

Root install Problems with HTC ONE M7
« on: June 22, 2013, 03:37:50 PM »
Hi, I have a rooted HTC ONE (SuperSU) but I can`t install the root version of antitheft. If I try to install via direct method, the phone asks for root, and when I grant the rights and proceed the phone just reboots. Then I tried the recovery method, started in recovery mode, choose the update.zip but got an error message when installing...
What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 03:50:37 PM by zieg-air »

zieg-air

Re: Root install Problems with HTC ONE M7
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 07:51:51 PM »
Update: Ok after a long time of googling I found a hint that says the reason for problems with the recovery method maybe insufficient system disk space. I installed an app which displays that I have lots of free space, besides a partition which is called "devicelog". It has only 18 MB of which 16 are used. Problem is I don't know if thats the problem and if, how and where can I delete unused files??
Any ideas?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 08:59:25 PM by zieg-air »

TLK3

Re: Root install Problems
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 05:49:33 AM »
I'm having the same issue on a Galaxy S4 running Carbon ROM (based off CyanogenMod). I don't think the ROM is the issue because I was running on a Nexus 4 and had NO problems.

The installation (when using DIRECT WRITE) reports there in insufficient disk space: Could not write to /system directory (There us not enough free space available on the /system partition of your device (-1867264000 B free, 4 MiB required).

However, there is over 2GB of free space on that partition:

Filesystem               Size     Used     Free   Blksize
/system                  2.7G   405.2M     2.3G   4096

After opening a shell via adb, I tried to create a directory on the /system partition and found it was read-only. So I remounted it read-write with the following command: mount -o rw,remount /system

Still getting the disk space error. I also tried using the UPDATE.ZIP method to no avail (same disk space error). Can anyone assist in getting this working? I've searched through everything I can find regarding avast! anti-theft installation issues but nothing has worked. Please advise.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 01:31:11 PM »
TLK3, you need to run the root uninstall tool (check your IM).
The best things in life are free.

enndub

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 04:15:49 PM »
I'm having the same issue on a Galaxy S4 running Carbon ROM (based off CyanogenMod). I don't think the ROM is the issue because I was running on a Nexus 4 and had NO problems.

The installation (when using DIRECT WRITE) reports there in insufficient disk space: Could not write to /system directory (There us not enough free space available on the /system partition of your device (-1867264000 B free, 4 MiB required).

After opening a shell via adb, I tried to create a directory on the /system partition and found it was read-only. So I remounted it read-write with the following command: mount -o rw,remount /system

Still getting the disk space error. I also tried using the UPDATE.ZIP method to no avail (same disk space error). Can anyone assist in getting this working? I've searched through everything I can find regarding avast! anti-theft installation issues but nothing has worked. Please advise.

I have exactly the same problem on my AT&T S4 with AOKP. Did you ever get it working?

TLK3

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 05:26:07 AM »
I read the message you sent me:

we offer a uninstall.zip at
http://xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/root%20uninstall.zip
unzip it and run uninstall.bat with your phone connected via USB to the pc. make sure usb-debugging is enabeled on your phone and the phone driver is installed on the PC.
If you do it on the PC where you rooted your phone you usually have these drivers available.

...but don't understand what this is supposed to do, except UNINSTALL the app manually. I'm trying to INSTALL anti-theft. Can you please elaborate? Will uninstalling this allow me to re-install without the disk space errors? I'm going to try it and see what happens but right now I'm skeptical after looking at the batch file.

TLK3

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 05:38:44 AM »

unzip it and run uninstall.bat with your phone connected via USB to the pc. make sure usb-debugging is enabeled on your phone and the phone driver is installed on the PC.
If you do it on the PC where you rooted your phone you usually have these drivers available.

...but don't understand what this is supposed to do, except UNINSTALL the app manually. I'm trying to INSTALL anti-theft. Can you please elaborate? Will uninstalling this allow me to re-install without the disk space errors? I'm going to try it and see what happens but right now I'm skeptical after looking at the batch file.

Actually, after editing the batch file to fix the /system mount point (incorrectly listed in the file) -- I realized running this is pointless. Since I have NOT been able to install as root, why would anything be sitting on the /system partition? Avast anti-theft reports a disk error and requires me to HALT installation. No files are written to the device.

One thing I have considered. I'm not sure if the install is supposed to request root access via superuser (or SuperSU in my case) -- but this does not happen and MIGHT be a reason the install fails. Could this be it? Any other ideas? Anyone else have this problem or a similar install issue they have been able to figure out?

enndub

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 11:04:04 PM »

Actually, after editing the batch file to fix the /system mount point (incorrectly listed in the file) -- I realized running this is pointless. Since I have NOT been able to install as root, why would anything be sitting on the /system partition? Avast anti-theft reports a disk error and requires me to HALT installation. No files are written to the device.

One thing I have considered. I'm not sure if the install is supposed to request root access via superuser (or SuperSU in my case) -- but this does not happen and MIGHT be a reason the install fails. Could this be it? Any other ideas? Anyone else have this problem or a similar install issue they have been able to figure out?
Funny, I modified the script exactly like you did and came to the same realization. Also noticed that the root installer never requested root. Maybe the apk is looking at the wrong partition when trying to determine free space on /system?

Hopefully one of the avast developers can shed some light on this issue.

enndub

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 12:36:30 AM »
One more thing to add, in case it helps, the root install worked fine with the stock ROM on my galaxy s4.

ezfox

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 02:44:29 PM »
I have the exact same problem here after i switched from Samsung Galaxy S4 Stock Rom to the 4.2.2 Google Edition Rom from XDA ( http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2341794 )

edit: i was able to workaround it with restoring the file from the Titanium Backup of my Stock Rom installation.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 02:58:07 PM by ezfox »

Earl_Grey

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 06:51:55 PM »
I'm getting very tired looking for an answer  :-\ I have installed CM10.1 on a brandnew Galaxy S4 (i9505). Of course rooted.

Can't write direct :"Could not write to /system directory"
Can't generate a ZIP file: "Could not create UPDATE.ZIP on SD-card"

Is there any news on a solution?

enndub

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 09:09:14 PM »
I'm gonna do some reverse engineering on this over the weekend. Hopefully I'll be able to make an Xposed patch that can be removed after installing anti-theft.

reinhardholzner

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 04:16:08 PM »
your issue will be fixed in next program update. it is a bug.

TLK3

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 11:12:57 PM »
I was able to install as root after the update on a Samsung Galaxy S4 running the Android 4.3 version of Carbon ROM. I did at one point get an error 1 and had to tell SuperSU to force root privileges for Avast Anti-Theft, but it's working well. Actually subscribed to the yearly service since it's such a great product and support clearly listens to user feedback. The new features are nice as well.

reinhardholzner

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 10:21:34 AM »
Cool thanks!