Author Topic: Avast 8 UI needs some refinements!  (Read 3352 times)

gate1975mlm

Avast 8 UI needs some refinements!
« on: June 23, 2013, 03:40:34 PM »
I am using Avast Free and I see you can not remove any of the items on the Home Screen like "Software Updater" and "Browser Cleanup" for example.

I did not even install these when installing Avast.

I would like my Home Screen to only show things I am using. Also I did not install any of the "Tools" so why is "Tools" still showing under the Security tab?

Is this how the Pro version is also?

I think the Avast 8 UI needs some refinements.

jrace

Re: Avast 8 UI needs some refinements!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 04:56:13 PM »

Hi, next time just do a custom install and check only things which you want to have installed.

This time go ahead and initiate an uninstall, on the first window appearing select "Change", uncheck all the things you do not want and finalise.

kodl

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 04:56:59 PM »
There's need for  more "refinements. Some of them are totally ignored by Avast for years, even when I ask here for "refinement". It is painting a clear picture about Avast as company!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 05:15:57 PM »
@ gate1975mlm
There are some tiles you can't remove items from the Home screen, they will be greyed out if you haven't selected them.

There's need for  more "refinements. Some of them are totally ignored by Avast for years, even when I ask here for "refinement". It is painting a clear picture about Avast as company!

Great, a detailed mention of what refinements you seek.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

kodl

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 05:25:32 PM »
Created Custom Scan..RootkitScan.....progress bar NEVER appeared in any version for a past few years! When I asked for help, they told me:
Do not use it!!!!!!! Very professional approach!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 06:26:39 PM »
I can't speak for earlier versions as I no longer have then installed, but I recall the progress bar in use, not that I was ever bothered by it as I have never felt that it is of much use.

How they calculate how much is going to be scanned and how long it is likely to take to give an accurate representation in that progress bar would at best be an estimation.

Are you talking about a Custom Scan for rootkits or two separate scans.
Rootkits by their nature are hidden, so I would guess that some of the files scanned may also be hidden, so how would it estimate what is to be scanned and how long it is likely to take.

Personally - With a resident on-access antivirus like avast, the need for frequent on-demand scans is much depreciated. For the most part the on-demand scan is going to be scanning files that would be otherwise be dormant or inert. If they were active files then the on-access file system shield would be scanning them before being created, modified, opened or executed.

I have avast set to do a scheduled weekly Quick scan, set at a time and day that I know the computer will be on. If for some reason my system wasn't on, no big deal I will catch up on the next scheduled scan.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security