Author Topic: Spam Mail  (Read 2247 times)

YellowFox

Spam Mail
« on: June 24, 2013, 05:58:03 PM »
Hey guys Fox again.  ;D

So I went to one of my old email addresses and noticed that a friend of mine sent me an email with only "Hey" and a link. I of course knew that he had presumably been hacked or that a virus had sent the mail out, and promptly deleted it. I'm wondering is that all Spam mail is? Is it a bot sending out bad links hoping someone will take the bait? Or is there something slightly more concerning I should be aware of :-\?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 06:36:04 PM by YellowFox »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: Spam Mail
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 06:02:29 PM »
Most of the time it's a bot. As you probably already know never open an email unless you know the sender.
It just might have some sort of nasty virus/infection.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

YellowFox

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 06:05:56 PM »
I did know the sender which is why I opened it. But even opening an email can infect you? Or is it clicking something inside the email that does it?

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 07:03:45 PM »
1) But even opening an email can infect you?
2) Or is it clicking something inside the email that does it?
1) Yes!
2) Yes!
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

YellowFox

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 07:39:13 PM »
EDIT: Just found out how it works. I'm going to the virus section now to make sure I didn't just screw myself over.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 08:43:51 PM by YellowFox »