Author Topic: * Introducing * - pre-release version of upcoming avast update (NOW 4.6.650)  (Read 30610 times)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Hi *,

here I'm again. An avast Home/Pro update is coming soon (1st half of the next week - before part of the team leaves for the US) and now it's my pleasure to announce the availability of a pre-release version of this update. This build is a very good approximation of what the final update will look like (we don't plan making any changes yet - except for respective bug fixes).

How to install it (for starters - most people already know this trick anyway :)): simply download and run the following program: http://files.avast.com/files/beta/aswbeta.exe . That's about all it takes.

The fixes in this release include
- detection of ZA and partial disable of WebShield (sorry guys)
- detection/removal of certain conflicting LSP's
- improved scanning of archives (including handling of corrupted archives)
- lots of minor bugfixes
and other.

Please make sure to post your respective comments about this release either directly to this thread or (even better) by starting a new one.

Edit: updated to v4.6.650

Vlk
« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 11:58:32 PM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
Thanks Vlk and rest of the Alwil guys... downloading it and soon it will be installed...

EDIT: I just installed it and restarted my system. Everything looks good so far, I'll keep checking.

First screen I've got was this one...

I guess, next thing is to hear from ZoneLabs guys... untill then, for some people - web shield transparent proxy mode off...  :-\

And btw, that Tutorial video on how to set proxy is great idea Alwil... I'm sure it will help a lot new users...
http://www.avast.com/files/tutorials/ws_ieproxy.htm
« Last Edit: April 16, 2005, 04:22:11 AM by S.Z.Craftec »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Churchmouse

I guess, next thing is to hear from ZoneLabs guys... untill then, for some people - web shield transparent proxy mode off...  :-\

And btw, that Tutorial video on how to set proxy is great idea Alwil... I'm sure it will help a lot new users...
http://www.avast.com/files/tutorials/ws_ieproxy.htm

Nice work on the tutorial -- I agree. :)  However, regarding the "Local Area Network (LAN) Settings"... is this a fix applicable for broadband users only?  What about those on dialup?

Thanks again to all the members of the Avast team (and volunteers) for keeping up the good work in troubleshooting this problem.  8) 

Regards,

Churchmouse

P.S.  Lately I'm beginning to feel like "troubleshooting" = computer + gun --> shoot computer = no more trouble. :P
-------------------------------------------
P.P.S. Never mind previous question -- I got the new program update and so far all is working well for the first time in nearly 2 months!!  ;D  *Keeps fingers crossed*
« Last Edit: April 16, 2005, 09:42:40 AM by Churchmouse »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
We'll add a tutorial for dial-up users before the update is released.

The procedure is basically the same as in the case of broadband/LAN connections except that instead of using the "LAN Settings" button, you'd select the dial-up connection you're using from the list in that "Connections" dialog, and click Settings. A new dialog box appears, with the ability to enter the proxy details.

Thanks
Vlk

cvsa

i didn't have this slpashscreen while i use ZApro... maybe it's because i'm using win98se and my browser had to manually use a proxy  ???

the webshield seems to work as usual... am i right ?

ps: my za privacy fonctions are all "off" for a long time

did that version change something for me?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2005, 02:20:54 PM by cvsa »

Churchmouse

My sister (and perhaps some others we know) will be needing this update also; but she's never gotten a pre-release...  I myself wasn't notified via the auto-update feature of Avast; but just happened to check my program settings (update configuration) and noticed the advisory... Is this because I downloaded the previous beta version (639)?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
Yes, if you were already using the beta update stream, you'd simply do a program update from within the avast GUI (no need to run aswBeta.exe). As soon as we officially release the update, all pre-release users will be automatically redirected to the release stream.

lee16

Lastest build seems to be working mostly good for me, however i seem to lose my manually added blocked file extensions in Standard Shield > customize > Blocker.
Ill have to double check this by installing the newest pre-release on the win98 machine downstairs.

--lee

Wight

Just downloaded this beta and everything is working fine.

StyleWarz

Installed this morning and working smooth, good job :)

r1cky

Hi, installed & so far seems perfectly alright. work hard!!!

i noticed a slight increase of web shield scanning speed.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
I might add: there's a new archive format supported in this release - SIS (Symbian installation packages).

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
I might add: there's a new archive format supported in this release - SIS (Symbian installation packages).

wowz0rz  ;D
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
I am very disappointed to see that, after installing 4.6.647, all support for the recently provided registry override for temporary file placement has been removed.

Was this a deliberate action or an oversight?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
No, it was not a deliberate action.
I know that there were some changes that might (if done incorrectly) cause this, but I have tried to change the temporary file folder using the registry value and it seemed to work as expected. How exactly did you set the temporary folder? I will re-check on Monday...