Author Topic: * Introducing * - pre-release version of upcoming avast update (NOW 4.6.650)  (Read 30605 times)

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
I got probably some problem when scanning one archive ...
tested with WinRAR no error in archive

Windows XP Pro English SP2
4.6.647 0515-5

Event Type:   Warning
Event Source:   avast!
Event Category:   Client
Event ID:   90
Date:      17.4.2005
Time:      3:45:57
User:      N/A
Computer:   *
Description:
AAVM - scanning warning: x_AavmCheckFileDirectEx [UNI]: D:\Downloads\SPACEWIN140.exe (D:\Downloads\SPACEWIN140.exe) returning error, 0000A47E. 

Event Type:   Error
Event Source:   avast!
Event Category:   Client
Event ID:   90
Date:      17.4.2005
Time:      3:45:57
User:      N/A
Computer:   *
Description:
AAVM - scanning error: x_AavmCheckFileDirectEx: avfilesScanReal of D:\Downloads\SPACEWIN140.exe failed, 0000A47E. 

i uploaded archive in question to ftp://ftp.asw.cz/incoming/
so You can take look on what is problem
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

anti

Thanks Vlk and rest of the Alwil guys... downloading it and soon it will be installed...

EDIT: I just installed it and restarted my system. Everything looks good so far, I'll keep checking.

First screen I've got was this one...

I guess, next thing is to hear from ZoneLabs guys... untill then, for some people - web shield transparent proxy mode off...  :-\

And btw, that Tutorial video on how to set proxy is great idea Alwil... I'm sure it will help a lot new users...
http://www.avast.com/files/tutorials/ws_ieproxy.htm

- Program: Already up to date
  (current version 4.6.647)
- Vps: Already up to date
  (current version 0515-5)
I still get red box. I have to update manually. Does anyone know how to open this screen again? how to turn web shield transparent proxy mode off and in future we need to turn it on, how to turn it on? LAN does not apply to dial-up. What should I do? Is there a video for dial-up user?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2005, 05:42:32 AM by anti »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Igor,

many thanks for your response.

I have been using the registry override provided for temporary Avast writes since you announced it with 4.6.623.  I have not changed it since then.

I'm sure that you know ... but just to review:   

With release 4.6.623 the Webshield did not conform to use of the override and persisted in using the system defined Windows temporary files directory.

With 4.6.635 the Webshield did conform to the use of the registry override.  However, it used either the system defined Windows temporary directory or the directory specified in the registry override directly and did not use the _avast_ sub-directory.

It is clear that there were some changes in the temporary file handling between 4.6.639 and 4.6.467.

My system logs confirm that (at least for my system - Win XP Pro SP2) the changes in the handling of Avast temporary files occurred following the system restart required by the installation of Avast 4.6.467.  All temporary file writes following the installation are to the _avast_ sub-directory of the system defined Windows temporary directory.

I have reverted my system to 4.6.639 to confirm some information.

In 4.6.639:

1) The Webshlock.txt file was created in the system defined Windows temporary directory or, if the registry override (Avast4TempFolder) was present, in the directory specified by the registry override.  The sub-directory _avast_ was not used for the Webshlock.txt file. 

2) There were still inconsistencies in the use of the _avast_ sub-directory.  This subdirectory was not used by Webshield, its temporary files were written to the directory defined in (1) above. 

In 4.6.647:

1) The Webshlock.txt file is created in a sub-directory _avast_ of the system defined Windows temporary directory.  If the registry override (Avast4TempFolder) is present it is ignored.

2) The Webshield is now consistent in the use of the _avast_ sub-directory.  Its temporary files are now written to the _avast_ sub-directory of the system defined Windows temporary directory.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
Does anyone know how to open this screen again? how to turn web shield transparent proxy mode off and in future we need to turn it on, how to turn it on?

Edit the avast4.ini, in the section [WebScanner] find the line ZoneAlarmCompatibility and delete it.

Lukas.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
alanrf, thanks, I remember the story.
I was mostly asking about the exact content of you Avast4TempFolder value.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
alanrf, thanks, I remember the story.
I was mostly asking about the exact content of you Avast4TempFolder value.

See attached

lee16

When booting up avast update seems to have troubles, it just doesn't seem to be reaching the server (doesn't give any messages though), i noticed because i have the update icon enabled, the longest i have let it sit there is about 22 min, the only way to stop it is to kill the 'avast.setup' process. (avast the  gives me the red box message about it not being able to update).

Running software:

Windows XP SP2
Avast 4.6.647
Sygate 5.6 build 2808
Firefox 1.0.3

P.S: i mentioned firefox because it seems to have a problem opening when the avast update business is happening.

--lee

The Maxx

Been using 4.6.647 for almost 24 hours now and everything is going good.
What number should this beta end on?  4.6 still or will it become 4.7?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
It will be 4.6.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Edit the avast4.ini, in the section [WebScanner] find the line ZoneAlarmCompatibility and delete it.
Lukas, it was not there before...
Is this a 'beta' and temporary setting or a permanent one?
Which are the values for it? Which is the behavior, interaction, with ZA with these values?
Thanks as usual...
The best things in life are free.

kamulko

Welcome back, Technical! ;D

Installed Beta: all ok. Maybe is my impression but it seems to run very fast in scanning: modified something  in scanning engine? 
tested over all type of files and extensions.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
I'd guess the value is created as soon as the ZoneAlarm warning is displayed... no idea about the particular value though.

lee16

Nobody getting my update problem them  ???, i have tried repairing bit it comes back, ill try re-installing tomorrow and see what happens.

--lee

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
When booting up avast update seems to have troubles, it just doesn't seem to be reaching the server (doesn't give any messages though), i noticed because i have the update icon enabled, the longest i have let it sit there is about 22 min, the only way to stop it is to kill the 'avast.setup' process. (avast the  gives me the red box message about it not being able to update).
Did you try to increase the value AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds into [InetWD] section of avast4.ini file?
Only killing avast.setup you'll have the access to another aupdate, that's how it works.
Did you set your proxy settings correctly into Update (Basic) > Details > Proxy?
The best things in life are free.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Igor,

my thanks to you and the team for the latest update.

Alan