Author Topic: VRDB -Virus Recovery Database a question  (Read 3240 times)

bramble

VRDB -Virus Recovery Database a question
« on: April 14, 2005, 10:56:29 PM »
This may sound a stupid question, so I shall apologise in advance.   I’ve only been using Avast a week. I’ve done a couple of scans and all has been well.  I’ve downloaded updates (and they have also downloaded automatically),  but on the interface against VRDB I’ve got “not done yet” and against Automatic Updates I’ve got  “database only.”   How can I activate VRDB for it to  “do”  whatever it’s supposed to do.   And do I need to change the setting for  “Automatic Updates?”   Any help would be greatly appreciated.   Thanks,  bramble

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: VRDB -Virus Recovery Database a question
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 11:27:30 PM »
Right click on the avast icon, VRDB, check image.

Right click on the avast icon, Program Settings, check image. My settings are to check because I'm on dial-up and I prefer to maintain control.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 11:29:25 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 05:53:16 PM »
With regard to the update settings, I like to stick with what was (and I think still is) the defaults, auto for definitions and ask-when-available for program upgrades.  Avast uses incremental def updates which are a breeze, take only a few seconds even on dialup (which I've got), plus they're "transparent" in the sense that they become effective immediately and don't require you to do anything to activate them.

Program upgrades are quite a bit larger, plus more often than not require a reboot, so like David I prefer to simply be advised of them and pick my own time to download and install.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2005, 05:54:53 PM by MikeBCda »
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Jarmo P

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2005, 07:09:25 AM »
As DavidR illustrated in the pictures, you can do it manually.
It updates automatically every 3 weeks also, but needs the screen saver to be running. Not Avast screensaver, that is not needed, just  anyone.