Author Topic: restart needed  (Read 8312 times)

gtmiller

Re: restart needed
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2005, 08:27:58 PM »
Well, I have sent a lot of stuff in to you guys and haven't heard back in a while.  I know it may seem trivial, but I am very frustrated and considering returning the software for a refund.

I replied to you message below on 4/8/05 will all the information you requested, but have not heard back as to if you found anything:
-------------------
You have just been sent a personal message by Forejt on avast!WEBforum.

IMPORTANT: Remember, this is just a notification. Please do not reply to this email.

The message they sent you was:

Hi,
I've sent you an email again. Probably you didn't receive the previous 2 I've sent from forejt@asw.cz, but your emails are delivered to me successfully, now I'm trying to send from forejt@avast.com. If you don't receive it again, here's the copy:

I think it's caused by Windows file protection, that replaces one version of system file with some other, even if the one we install is higher. Or maybe windows doesnt replace that file at all and it may remain in pending rename operations, so avast asks you for another reboot.

Please send me the following files:
C:\WINNT\system32\psapi.dll
C:\WINNT\system32\psa5.tmp
Search your c: drive for all other occurences of psapi.dll, make sure to search for hidden files and folders too, it will be probably located in C:\WINNT\system32\dllcache, maybe in some other folder too. After you find all those files, compress them and send it to me with description where each file was located. Depending on how many files will it be, send certainly those from system32 folder, and if you'll find others, check if they are not the same (in this case, send only the location and file size). Also, open regedit.exe, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager, export this key to some file and send it too.

Then I'll answer with some other suggestions...

Thanks,

Jiri Forejt
Alwil Software

Reply to this Personal Message here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?action=pm;sa=send;f=inbox;pmsg=14578;quote;u=342
----------------------
I will continue to await a responce...

thanks again for your help in this matter.

Please remember, I am a PAYING customer and not using the free home version. I do work for a company of 100 + employees and can influence what we choose to use in the future.  I know this software works fine on many PC's my friends have at home, so I have faith in it. This is just a fluke in this instance, I believe.  But customer support is important, as you well know.

gtmiller

Re: restart needed
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2005, 11:03:37 PM »
It seems that somewhere along the line, the restart messages stopped. I don't know why.  So lets drop this for now. Thanks for your help.