Author Topic: Stop Error on Windows 8.1 Preview  (Read 16973 times)

Meaple

Stop Error on Windows 8.1 Preview
« on: June 27, 2013, 01:29:12 AM »
Hello guys,

First post, finally joined the forums. So you're able to install Windows 8.1 Preview (Build 9431). After upgrading Avast was removed. I tried to install Avast again but Windows stopped the installation straight away due to compatibility issues. I downloaded the Avast 8 R2 beta and got that installed. However, shields weren't functioning correctly and after rebooting I received a stop error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. I entered safe mode and after removing Avast my PC booted without any issues.

This post is just an FYI to others who might be wondering if they want to update or not. Also, is there anything I can do to have Avast installed on 8.1?

Thanks.

tracit99

Re: Stop Error on Windows 8.1 Preview
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 04:39:41 AM »
I have to installed Windows 8.1 Preview and my avast! antivirus was also removed.  I have tried to install avast! 8 in Windows 8.1 Preview and I also was stopped due to compatibility issues.  I did not try avast! R2 beta. Hopefully someone can resolve this issue.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 01:51:53 PM »
What beta are you guys talking about ?
The reason I ask is that there isn't a beta version running right now.

So that would be an even older version of avast and is likely not to be compatible with the win8.1 preview version.

Didn't this happen before with the earlier win8 preview version where MS had hard coded what AV versions compatible with win 8 and that was essentially M S E. Later that was changed to include other AVs, I don't know if a similar thing is going on right now.

Very recently though there was an update to 8.0.1489 to cater for the win8.1 preview, that caused some BSOD issues for some using 64 OS (that was resolved later). A further update was issued to correct that and should be working for those experiencing the problem.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Slakkie

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 11:26:56 AM »
I have this issue too.
After the update to Win 8.1 Avast vanished on my machine.
I downloaded the latest version and it came up with a dialog indicating compatibility issues with this program.

daraldf

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 04:51:07 PM »
I want to run 8.1 but not until I get a reliable third party anti-virus. Windows Defender isn't enough to make me feel comfortable.  >:(

dionisiog

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 06:16:36 PM »
Ditto to your comments on Windows Defender.  When I got Windows 7 I gave Web Defender a chance,  but it's scanning was abysmally slow,  so I went back to Avast.
I installed Windows 8.1 last night and saw that "Keep my Windows apps and settings" clearly was an expression to be taken literally,  and 8.1 removed and blocked out programs which I preferred over Windows apps.  Disabling Web Defender which will allow you to run Avast in Windows 8 does not work the same for Windows 8.1.
I am reinstalling Windows 8 and 8.1 will be reconsidered only when it permits me to run my own preferred software.  Isn't that the ida of software?  Otherwise they could put this all on a chip like on my vcr and we might not need to use anti-virus at all.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

tracit99

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 08:48:16 PM »
Downloaded the 8.0.1492 beta for avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe, turned off Windows Defender in Windows 8.1 Preview and installed.  The install went fine without the compatibility issues that occurred with the latest release version of 8.0.1489.  Then a train wreck.... Compatibility screens began to show, to which I choose to "run the program anyway".  I was then greeted with about 100 memory error screens.  I tried to gracefully shut the computer down, but more memory error screens were shown.  Finally, I did a hard shutdown by holding down the power button for four seconds.  Restarted Windows 8.1 Preview in safe mode.  Ran aswclear.exe and restarted computer.  As far as I can tell, Windows Defender and Norton are the only two antivirus programs that will run with Windows 8.1 Preview at this time.  I have tried eset Nod32 and while it installs it also has errors.  I am currently using Norton Antivirus 21 beta, which has played nice with Windows 8.1 Preview so far.  The beta subscription is only good for 14 days.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 09:43:32 PM by tracit99 »

Akzea

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 09:00:57 PM »
I have this issue too.ms

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 01:08:59 AM »
I installed AVG Free 2013 which is better than Windows Defender but not as good as Avast. However Windows Blue does not like Firefox ver 22.0. After completing a Virus scan with AVG.
I went to Firefox to see if I could bypass, and install Avast anyway but the system locked up straight away. No BSOD just locked up.

MessiaaH

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 06:27:44 AM »
I installed 8.0.1492.B on my Surface Pro running 8.1 Preview.

Compatibility prompts like described above but the install went through. Had to also hard power my device.
On boot I got several error prompts. As it turns out, avast was blocking certain metro related apps / functions and causing these errors.
I disabled the behavior shield and everything seemed fine after that.

Been running for bout 6hrs now with no issues.  :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2013, 08:59:42 PM »
Thanks MessiaaH for the feedback.
The best things in life are free.