Author Topic: Here's a puzzle for you - Avast won't run at all  (Read 13557 times)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Here's a puzzle for you - Avast won't run at all
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2013, 11:49:21 AM »
OK you need to set LAN to no proxy, could you run the MSFixit here please  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2289942

These reg keys are extremely resilient

1. Please download The Avenger by Swandog46 to your Desktop.
  • Right click on the Avenger.zip folder and select "Extract All..."
  • Follow the prompts and extract the avenger folder to your desktop
2. Copy all the text contained in the code box below to your Clipboard by highlighting it and pressing (Ctrl+C):

Code: [Select]
Begin copying here:
Registry keys to delete:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\wow6432node\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\image file execution options\avastUI.exe
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\wow6432node\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\image file execution options\avastSvc.exe

Note: the above code was created specifically for this user.  If you are not this user, do NOT follow these directions as they could damage the workings of your system.

3. Now, open the avenger folder and start The Avenger program by clicking on its icon.
  • Right click on the window under Input script here:, and select Paste.
  • You can also click on this window and  press (Ctrl+V) to paste the contents of the clipboard.
  • Click on Execute
  • Answer "Yes" twice when prompted.
4. The Avenger will automatically do the following:
  • It will Restart your computer. ( In cases where the code to execute contains "Drivers to Delete", The Avenger will actually restart your system twice.)
  • On reboot, it will briefly open a black command window on your desktop, this is normal.
  • After the restart, it creates a log file that should open with the results of Avenger’s actions.  This log file will be located at  C:\avenger.txt
  • The Avenger will also have backed up all the files, etc., that you asked it to delete, and will have zipped them and moved the zip archives to C:\avenger\backup.zip.
5. Please copy/paste the content of c:\avenger.txt into your reply along with a freshOTL log .

Namea

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2013, 10:12:08 PM »
I ran avenger but it is not creating a log at all. I searched the computer and there is no avenger.txt file. Here is the new otl file though:

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2013, 11:17:01 PM »
OK do you feel confident enough to do this manually ?

Go Start and in the search box type regedit
Regedit.exe will appear in the list
Right click this and select "Run as Administrator "
Navigate to the following keys using the little arrows to open each major group

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\wow6432node\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\image file execution options\avastUI.exe
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\wow6432node\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\image file execution options\avastSvc.exe

(See screenshot below)

Right click each one in turn and select delete
Agree the warnings
If you are unable to delete please let me know what error you get is

Namea

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2013, 12:43:09 AM »
Here's a screen of the error.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2013, 12:16:59 PM »
Could you now try to take ownership of those two registry keys as detailed here http://www.howtogeek.com/77878/take-ownership-of-or-assign-full-permission-for-a-registry-key-in-windows-7/

Namea

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2013, 10:28:49 PM »
It's still saying access is denied. Unfortunately his uncle usually fixes his computer and gives only himself administrative properties on a separate account and won't give them to anyone else. He refuses to give the passwords to anyone even though he's the one who ruined this computer. I keep getting the "Access is denied" error message.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2013, 03:57:47 PM »
In that case I am locked out, he will need to get his uncle to delete those two registry keys

Namea

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2013, 04:35:47 PM »
Unfortunately despite having admin priveledges now it's still telling me access is denied. Sorry I vanished, didn't have internet for a week while we moved.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2013, 05:27:53 PM »
Could you re-run the Avenger fix a few posts above..  See if that can kill it now