Author Topic: "Software Updater" by Avast! is not working correctly?  (Read 4828 times)

NTxLS

"Software Updater" by Avast! is not working correctly?
« on: June 28, 2013, 01:01:10 AM »
I have Avast! FREE v8.0.1489, on Dell Inspiron 1564 Intel i3 2.13GigHZ Win7 SP1 64bit.

Software Updater just alerted that Java was needing an update, I clicked on the update now and my FireFox v21.0.x came up and went to Oracle's Java update site. Because my system is 64bit I downloaded the one for 64 bit "jre-7u25-windows-x64" and 32 bit, "jre-7u25-windows-i586" the 'x64 installed with no problems.  The 'i586' said the update is already installed and stopped, my "Software Updater" from Avast! still shows Java 32bit is NOT updated and have done a rescan several times.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: "Software Updater" by Avast! is not working correctly?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 01:10:06 AM »
Unless you absolutely need Java Runtime Environment (JRE) don't bother.
In fact if you don't need it uninstall it completely. JRE is well known to be easily exploited.
If you absolutely need it try the 32 bit version.  :)

edit: I don't even have it installed on my machine.
        Keep in mind there is a difference between JRE and javascript.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 01:11:44 AM by Para-Noid »
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

NTxLS

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 01:19:06 AM »
Thank you, that is what I was doing when you posted . . removing JRE v7 update 25, first had to remove 7 update 17 when there was supposed to be update 21 installed. I do not think Oracle knows what or how to do the right thing. I feel all the websites that are using Java should KILL it and let someting else take that slot. Sun Micro Systems was even having difficulty and now Oracle is not improving any.

Java is off my system, permanently . .

Thank you for that advice . .

NTxLS

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 01:24:12 AM »
No I had not read those, but; have read several other that dealt with this same issue and after posting my first message felt there needed to be something done about JAVA and that is remove it permanently.

NTxLS

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 01:26:10 AM »
Thank you one and all for the replies and advice . . the deed has been done!!  Solved!!