Author Topic: Won't run after system restore  (Read 3185 times)

sonchynne

Won't run after system restore
« on: June 28, 2013, 02:21:50 AM »
I installed the free version of Avast on June 8th and registered it that same day. Today I had to use system restore to go back two days because  I game I installed was not working. The latest restore point was two days ago, before I installed the game, so I chose that one. However, when my computer was done with the system restore, my Avast Antivirus was not working. On the home panel , on the left it is red and says "The avast! antivirus is off: START". But when I click the "RESOLVE ALL" button, nothing happens.  Then on the "Your Registration" panel, it says: "Current Registration will expire on : 7/1/2014 1:00:00 am   Date of registration: 7/1/2013  1:00:00 am.  0 days remaining."

I don't know what happened, since I only went back two days and I've had this avast since the 8th. Should I uninstall it and try to reinstall? I am running Windows 7  64bit, if that helps.

Undead-Divine-Assassin

Re: Won't run after system restore
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 05:13:25 AM »
Have you tried the stupidly well hidden Avast repair feature?

With Win XP it's: Control Panel > Add Remove Programs. Highlight Avast and click the Change/Remove button to find a program/settings menu including a Repair option.

This has worked for me on at least two occasions restoring Avast to working state including once after a system restore had messed it up in some way.

'Simply' uninstalling/reinstalling Avast may work but I know from my own experience that can cause other issues because it doesn't remove every element of the previous installation. A full uninstall requires a special software tool Avast provide for that purpose.   
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 05:17:38 AM by Cluster-Lizard »

sonchynne

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 06:16:38 AM »
Hmm...I tried what you suggested and when I hit the "Repair" tab, a little window popped up saying "Error processing packages. Please use full update" Thanks for trying to help though :).

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 07:26:21 AM »
avast does not like system restore....unless you turn off self protect first

so reinstall
remove with this.   http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility
download and reinstall.   http://www.avast.com/download-software

Undead-Divine-Assassin

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 02:35:32 PM »
Hmm...I tried what you suggested and when I hit the "Repair" tab, a little window popped up saying "Error processing packages. Please use full update" Thanks for trying to help though :).

Do what ^ said.

I was wondering about this; when you did the system restore were you still connected to the internet and do you have automatic updates on?

Since I've just swapped over to broadband last week it's something I've been concerned about because these and other program's automatic updates can be sent to you computer at any time and whatever you're doing. I'm thinking about things like defragging (full defrags not background defragging) and system restoring in particular because on dial-up it has always been my practice to disconnect before doing anything like that.

In fact apart from Avast I've deliberately turned off all other automatic updates as I've been certain they have been at least part of the cause of at least two serious problems I've had. I manually update everything else now either after a prompt or on a weekly/monthly basis.