Author Topic: Avast and Yahoo Pops?  (Read 7027 times)

Norm321

Avast and Yahoo Pops?
« on: April 17, 2005, 11:41:23 PM »
Does anyone know if Avast will scan incoming messages on a Outlook Express 6 email account configured with YPops? A friend is using another AntiVirus(AVG)and the emails that come in for that account do not get scanned. If it does scan them there will be a switch to Avast!! Thanks for any input!!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast and Yahoo Pops?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 12:22:37 AM »
If it is configured to import the Yahoo web mail (http) as a regular pop3 email then I would say yes. The key would be checking the account settings and see if the server settings indicate that it is pop3.

However, if it is the same as OE being able to download hotmail, it is slightly different to regular pop3 email, probably not directly. I can't comment on if that was scanned by the Internet Mail provider.

I basically only use my hotmail account as a dumping ground, I check it with Mail Washer Pro and delete virtually everything.

Even if the incoming Ypops isn't scanned by Internet Mail, Standard Shield could catch it when it is on the HDD (inbox, etc.) or if you save any attachment prior to opening it Standard Shield should check it, ensure that standard shield is on high and scan all created/modified files.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 12:49:20 AM »
I conducted some testing of YPops back in February with Avast (4.5 then) in response to a similar question (you can review that thread by searching for YPops). 

The answer is yes.  YPops performs http transactions to get the mail from the Yahoo mail store and then delivers it in a POP3 stream to the mail client (in this case OE6).

I think that YPops still defaults to use of Port 110 so, if the user is in a Windows XP environment, the only special considerations are to set up the POP3 server as localhost in OE6 and, since the POP3 stream is delivered via localhost, it is necessary to use the customize button on the Internet Mail provider of Avast and uncheck the Ignore local traffic box.

When I was testing AVG several months ago I posted a thread that explained how to make YPops (and a couple of similar offerings - MrPostman and FreePops) work with AVG.

The setup in Avast 4.6 is, I believe, much easier to do. 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 12:57:23 AM by alanrf »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 12:55:20 AM »
Having been to yahoopops.sourceforge.net, it would appear that it will be downloaded as pop3 email. However the method of doing that utilises the localhost 127.0.0.1 and this will conflict with avast's email scanning as it also uses the local host to be able to scan email before it gets to the inbox.

YPOPs! and Outlook Express
   1. Select Tools -> Email accounts from the main menu
   2. Select Add a new email account and click o­n Next
   3. Select POP3 as the Server Type. Click Next
   4. Enter your username and full Yahoo! email address under 'User Information'
   5. Enter your Yahoo! Login id and password under 'Logon Information'
   6. Enter '127.0.0.1' as your Incoming mail server
   7. Enter '127.0.0.1' as the Outgoing mail server
   8. Click o­n the More Settings button and select the Advanced tab
   9. Increase the Server Timeout to 'Long' (5 minutes)
  10. Select the Outgoing Server tab
  11. Enable "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication". Select "Log o­n using" and enter your Yahoo Mail address as the username and your Yahoo Mail password as the password.
  12. Click Ok to close the More Settings dialog
  13. Click Next and then Finish

So it will be necessary to configure both to work together. This has been done with spam filtering software that also uses the localhost to scan incoming email, so it may be possible, although I have never done it.

A common spam filtering tool, Spamihilator is commonly used with avast, so a search of the forums for Spamihilator may be helpful - http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=6654.0 - http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=9;action=display;threadid=3413 and visit the User's FAQ thread, it will give you a lot of useful advice.

Edit - alanrf's comment as a Ypops user with avast obviously shows it can and does work, provided the ignore local traffic is unticked, much more gracious than the above links.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 12:58:55 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 01:01:23 AM »
There is no conflict with Avast's email scanning between regular POP3 and localhost delivered POP3.

You can have (as I do) multiple "regular" POP3 accounts and multiple accounts (Hotmail, Yahoo etc) delivered via localhost - all being accessed simultaneously - and all being scanned by Avast.

The Avast folks made this much easier in the most recent versions of Avast. 

You can also set a check in the Internet mail provider to have a "scanned" message inserted in the mail so that you can see that it is working.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 01:05:03 AM by alanrf »

Norm321

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 04:08:58 AM »
This is the best forum that I'm a member of. I always get tons of useful information from the the users here. Thanks a bunch DavidR and alanrf !!!

Norm321

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005, 06:03:47 AM »
Hey alanrf, do you remember how you setup AVG to work with Ypops? I checked the AVG forum and it looks like your post is no longer there, darn it. If it was something fairly simple I thought I would let my friend know how to set it up, he seems to want to stick with AVG, Thanks if you can help!! ::) He has Win XP SP2 and Outlook Express 6 and the latest YPops 0.7.3 and AVG 7. Thanks again!! ???

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2005, 06:40:55 AM »
I just went over there to check and did some scans on my id alanrf. 

I can find a few references saying that the answer to making it work is in my post and a newer one bemoaning the fact that my thread has been deleted. 

I have posted over there asking the moderator if the post can be recovered.

However, I feel compelled to say that I wrote that when I was evaluating AVG and Avast as choices.  I made the decision for myself and those I support that Avast was the preferable solution.

Not the least part of my decision was based on the support available in this forum and the fact that the developers participate, listen and respond.

I would encourage you to recommend to your friend to try Avast.  I  know that is no small effort but I believe it would be most worthwhile.     

In the meantime I will probe the depths of this old brain and see if  there are any memories left of how to make it work.

Edit: Well Norm321 if you are also known as Normthehacker then you will probably know that my post in the other place is lost and gone forever by the hand of an over zealous webmaster.  I wonder if they ever heard of "backups".  Yet another strike against that product.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 07:03:31 AM by alanrf »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2005, 08:40:49 AM »
Norm321,

I have identified a machine (not mine own) with the latest release of AVG installed in a Win XP environment.  I have taken a quick look and I believe I can recall what needs to be done to make it work with YPops. 

Since it is my preference that I should not post solutions without testing them myself first I have obtained permission to test on that machine on Monday 04/18.  Since the results of that testing are not relevant to the users of Avast I will post them in the other place.  Please look for the results there under my id - alanrf. 

I reiterate my recommendation to your friend to try Avast - it is so much simpler.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 08:44:33 AM by alanrf »

Norm321

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2005, 01:20:41 AM »
Thanks a million alanrf, Ya I'm also normthehacker, I have two systems, one PC with Avast which I think is great and a laptop that I put AVG on to try to figure out the YPops thing. That is pretty bad that I had to go to my favorite and most helpful  forum to figure out how to do something for another product. This is a great forum. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to support an AVG question, you could of just said forget it. In the past I would reccommend and even install AVG on friends systems but since I put Avast on my own I reccommend that now. The more that I work with the two products the more I like Avast. It just seems more simple and straight forward.  Thanks a million again, and keep up the good work!!! I'll keep pushing Avast!!!  8)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2005, 01:25:24 AM »
Norm321, you've discovered us, the happy and wonderful avast world  8)
Feel yourself in home  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2005, 01:34:21 AM »
I jumped ship from AVG6 and have never looked back, wouldn't even consider AVG7. The major reasons for this I love the flexability and configuration of avast! not to mention this forum, great family with excellent response, help and support from the Alwil Team's developers even for those using the free home version.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2005, 03:36:48 AM »
I jumped ship from AVG6 and have never looked back, wouldn't even consider AVG7. The major reasons for this I love the flexability and configuration of avast! not to mention this forum, great family with excellent response, help and support from the Alwil Team's developers even for those using the free home version.
We have the same journey... Flexibility and configuration hability, after that, I found the forums  8)
The best things in life are free.

Norm321

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2005, 09:10:44 PM »
How simple can you get. All I had to do to have avast scan the YPops mail is uncheck the ignore local communication under the Internet Mail Customize button under the Redirect Tab. I also checked to insert a note into clean message for both the POP and SMTP. Set up YPops as instructed and WHALA it worked like a charm. I love avast!

JLJ

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2006, 02:34:26 AM »
Hope someone sees this new message in an old thread... I've read the foregoing and find myself still confused as to how to get YPOPS 0.7.3 to work with Avast! 4 (latest downloads). (Frankly, I'm still not sure my OE mail is getting scanned either, but that's another opera.)

I use YPOPS through OE6 under Win98SE to check Yahoo Mail thru OE. Works fine, but I'm unable to send or receive YPOPS mail when Avast Internet Mail scanner is enabled. Likely it's because my username is changed by Avast to "johnluciferjones#localhost" -- is this the correct, expected setting?

Does anyone have any step by step instructions on these topics?  THX JLJ