Author Topic: Asked to update latest Java  (Read 8451 times)

ycc

Asked to update latest Java
« on: June 28, 2013, 12:40:41 PM »
Hi,

I really like Avast for my PC it has helped me many times.
I just have a short question.
I run the latest Java v. 7, verified to need no updates on Oracle home page.
But Avast believes that I run v. 6 (not the latest subversion, it asks me to update to latest v.6 subversion). So it tells me that my system needs a "critical update".
I am no expert on this, but I think there is an error sending me this message, so I turned it off. Maybe Avast needs a small fix?

Thanks for a good av program.

ycc
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 12:52:13 PM by ycc »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Asked to update latest Java
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 01:22:57 PM »
take a look in ad/remove programs.... is there a old java listed there?
if so, remove it and reboot

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 01:29:57 PM »
If avast says that you have version 6 of JAVA, it is still installed (or may have remnants) or it wouldn't find references that you have java V6, having the latest JAVA 7 may not remove old versions.

Personally if you don't absolutely need JAVA and if you don't know if you do, then it is most likely that you don't. It isn't an essential application, it isn't part of the operating system and it is a big target for malware. So if you don't have an application that uses JAVA or visit websites that use JAVA (not JavaScript), then I would uninstall versions using the windows add remove programs/programs and features.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ycc

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 02:15:07 PM »
Thanks for detailed replies, I appreciate.
I prefer to keep Java is possible. (OK, the only application using it I can name off hand is Candy Crush Saga ;) )
I found a panel under the Vista Control Panel where I could disable v. 6, please see screen-shot.
I did not get the alert on restart, but if I open Avast it still says that Java v.6 is critical. (I now realize there are two entries, one for v.6 and one for v.7)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 02:18:12 PM by ycc »

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 02:21:32 PM »
Use Javara to remove all older versions http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/javara.html

ycc

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 02:28:50 PM »
Use Javara to remove all older versions http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/javara.html
Thanks.
I am not sure which option to choose. I find "Remove Java runtime environment". I just fear it will remove ALL Java?
I definitely want to keep Java in the system. I am aware of its risks, but this computer must be able to display as many webpages as possible without additional installation, so i want a fully functional java in it.

Can I choose Remove Java runtime environment" and v.7 will still be installed?

ycc

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 02:40:00 PM »
To me the thread can be regarded as solved now.
Before I wasn't aware the v.6 and v.7 were both installed at the same time.
V.6 is now disabled. And I turned off the notification for v.6.
Thanks for the information, I understand the situation now.
We can leave it as it is.
Thanks a lot for quick and knowledgeable replies.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 02:50:30 PM »

You should see in the Vista > Control Panel > Programs and Features an entry for JAVA 6 (and JAVA 7) you should uninstall JAVA 6 not just disable within the JAVA Control Panel as it is still installed and if installed avast will continue to ping it as a critical update (disabling the avast notification is shooting the messenger). If you don't use it (you shouldn't as it is vulnerable) removal is the best option, there is no point in keeping it.

I don't know if the javara tool essexboy suggested is selective, e.g. select only JAVA 6 to be installed or not, but the windows Control Panel > Programs and Features should allow you to just uninstall JAVA 6.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ycc

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 03:13:14 PM »
OOhh, this gave me problems!
I uninstalled the three version 6 java programs in the add/remove programs.
The following broke:
Finger print scanner for log in.
dropbox
google drive.

I guess I must reinstall v6. Best way is maybe using a Windows restore point?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 03:42:31 PM »
I have no JAVA at all installed:
I have dropbox and no problems with that.
Just logged on to my google drive using firefox 22.0 and no problem there either.

I don't have a fingerprint reader, but I would have though that wouldn't require JAVA either as it isn't a part of the Operating System, so may not be installed when you receive your system.

ycc

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 04:12:30 PM »
OK, the system is working again. Restored 2 days back and no data lost, just moved around a little. (Only a reminder from Norton Ghost to make a backup, I haven't seen that before.)
I can't say why these things broke, but the system has been working "perfectly" for a long time. A Vista system on a HP Pavilliion. So to me it seems likely that the uninstall broke these functions. But I am no expert on Java. I am used to Linux servers and I would have guessed on faulty uninstallers with unclear "dependencies". (Isn't there a "dll"-hell in Windows???)
Enclose screenshot of the components that were removed. (And subsequently recovered by system restore.)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 05:00:29 PM »
A mystery to me too, I can't understand why any of the functions you mentioned JAVA dependency, when you consider JAVA isn't part of the OS and wouldn't be present.

I know the two I mentioned have no requirement for JAVA as they work for me.

You could try the manufactures website for your laptop and see if there is any more details on the fingerprint reader function/software and see if there is a JAVA requirement.

ycc

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 05:05:17 PM »
I just checked quickly and saw that there are API:s supplied to Java-programmers working with all those functions (fingerprint reader, Dropbox and Google drive).
But I have not installed anything "special". Just standard installations.

ycc

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2013, 05:12:58 PM »
But why are updates 2, 5 and 7 kept by the system? Why are they not deleted? I "assume" there were updates inbetween that have been deleted. Maybe the system kept these for some reason? (Unclear dependencies, maybe ? )

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2013, 05:22:12 PM »
If you aren't a JAVA-Programmer, I don't know how easy it would be to remove/uninstall the JAVA-Programmer APIs or break the API link to these applications.

But why are updates 2, 5 and 7 kept by the system? Why are they not deleted? I "assume" there were updates inbetween that have been deleted. Maybe the system kept these for some reason? (Unclear dependencies, maybe ? )

I think that it is because they relate to JAVA 6, when you install the latest version of JAVA 7 (and later versions of JAVA 6) it is meant to uninstall earlier JAVA versions, but I believe it only does it for the same ordinal version (JAVA 7) of JAVA and those versions of JAVA 6 are very old and pre date the change in JAVA to remove old versions when installing the later version.