Author Topic: Avira's Discontinuation of Antivirus solutions for Linux systems on June 30th 20  (Read 7318 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
What is avast's position here?
Avira already has trown the towel into the ring:
- http://www.avira.com/en/support-for-business-knowledgebase-detail?kbid=1491

Your comments, please

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
Your comments, please

polonus

Yes, interesting to see that, thankyou polonus.

I feel Avira ascertain there is no money to be made with their Linux products.

Linux home users amount to a small percentage of the general 'Malware and Security' market.

Linux large Business users would basically employ a programmer to cover any tools required I would think, as they would need a small group to model their Distro's for their specific needs.

Generally larger organisations using Linux start with the Kernel, which is free, and most costs are for Hardware, and salaries of the people to maintain and develop Software.

A rough generalisation really, but I feel Avira see Linux more a problem, with costs being more than sales.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
I think Avira issues with Linux are generalized to many other companies: market share.
The best things in life are free.

MAG

It's a pity to lose an option.

I run an av with linux because our IT guy at work is not very keen on me sending files to the work system from a home system with no av.

Currently I use CAVL, which is real-time and so least fuss, but a scanner would do, and it is nice to have other options.

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
That looks like something worth having mag.
Not supported suppose in PCLinuxOS, but can put in a request to have it put in repo.

With all those features it would make it worthwhile incorporating into my system for sure.

All we have is ClamAv, which is a joke.

That's why when the Avast4linux AV was giving update errors I considered dumping it as it's not packaged specifically for pclos, and could do some damage actually.

http://forums.comodo.com/comodo-antivirus-for-linux-cavl/comodo-antivirus-for-linux-cavl-v112680251-is-released-t92199.0.html
COMODO Antivirus for Linux (CAVL) v1.1.268025.1 is released!

Changes:

- Support Linux Mint
- Fix bug: OS hang while processing realtime scanning task
- Fix bug: Scanning stops abnormally after several full disk scanning
- Fix bug: File path contains non-English characters could not be displayed correctly somewhere
- Fix other bugs

It features:

- On-demand and On-access malware scanning
- Script simulator and script scanning
- PE simulator including dynamic and generic unpack
- PE Obj scanning
- Cloud scanning
- Compressed packages scanning
- Full heuristic scanning
- White list checking and smart scanning
- Quarantine and event log viewer
- Signature and binary updates
- Mail gateway email malware filtering compatible with MTA software Postfix, Sendmail, Exim and Qmail
- Spam email detection

It supports:

Linux distributions(both x86 and x86_64):

- Redhat Enterprise Linux 5.9 and 6.3
- CentOS 5.9 and 6.3
- Fedora 17
- SUSE Linux Enterprise 11
- openSUSE 12.1
- Debian 6.0
- Ubuntu 12.04
- Mint 13

MTA and related plugin:

- postfix:2.9.1
- sendmail:8.14.4
- exim4:4.76
- qmail:1.06-4
- amavis:2.6.4

Download links:

RPM packages for Redhat Enterprise Linux Server, Fedora, CentOS, SUSE Linux Enterprise Server and OpenSUSE:

- 32 bits

MAG

I switched from PCLOS (which is a very solid distro) to the bun2's to get apparmor. A by-product is that most other software that is made for linux is made for the bun2's and their clones, if it's not actually in their repos. I guess the downside is that if and when some malware is eventually crafted for linux desktops, it will be aimed at the bun2's/clones.

MAG

That looks like something worth having mag.
Not supported suppose in PCLinuxOS, but can put in a request to have it put in repo.

With all those features it would make it worthwhile incorporating into my system for sure.

All we have is ClamAv, which is a joke.

That's why when the Avast4linux AV was giving update errors I considered dumping it as it's not packaged specifically for pclos, and could do some damage actually.

If it's of interest, I have CAVL running on a PCLOS LXDE installation with no apparent problems. PCLOS isn't my main OS any more though - so it wouldn't be a big issue for me if it did cause problems.

CAVL scored 4/5 on the amtso av settings test (no phishing protection - Bitdefender Trafficlight chipped in there though).

I doubt if PCLOS will ever package it, since it isn't Open Source and GPL.

Maybe the next avast for linux offering will be on-access?