Author Topic: Exclusions Causes Lockup  (Read 5665 times)

smokethapimp

Exclusions Causes Lockup
« on: April 18, 2005, 07:20:01 PM »
Windows 98SE...Athlon 2100+ (1.73mghz), Asus A7V333 motherboard, 512mb 333ddr memory, ZoneAlarm 5.5.062.011, Avast! Home Edition 4.6.623, SpyBot S&D, AdAware SE Personal

When I try to use the browse function in Avast! to choose folders to exclude from scans, everything works fine up to the point I actually try to check a folder box I want to exclude, and then my system locks up and I have to do a hard shut down and then a scandisc upon reboot. Any idea why this is happening and how to resolve it? Thanks in advance....

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Exclusions Causes Lockup
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 08:15:33 PM »
When I try to use the browse function in Avast! to choose folders to exclude from scans, everything works fine up to the point I actually try to check a folder box I want to exclude, and then my system locks up and I have to do a hard shut down and then a scandisc upon reboot. Any idea why this is happening and how to resolve it? Thanks in advance....

Which folder is this?
Which kind of files (extension) were there?
Welcome to avast  8)
The best things in life are free.

troubleshooting

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 08:19:28 PM »
Windows 98SE...Athlon 2100+ (1.73mghz), Asus A7V333 motherboard, 512mb 333ddr memory, ZoneAlarm 5.5.062.011, Avast! Home Edition 4.6.623, SpyBot S&D, AdAware SE Personal

it may take some time to accept a checked folder depending on the file size may be coz of that  ??? it even happen to me..it appeard to be stuck...but give some time after u check that folder or file..so that it fully accept the change...then goto next one if u have to exculde..the files or folders...

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 08:44:38 PM »
Does the problem appear for all folders, or only for specific ones (if the later is the case, which ones)?

smokethapimp

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005, 05:48:53 AM »

it may take some time to accept a checked folder depending on the file size may be coz of that  ??? it even happen to me..it appeard to be stuck...but give some time after u check that folder or file..so that it fully accept the change...then goto next one if u have to exculde..the files or folders...

Thank you all for your kind replies :). Troubleshooting - you nailed it ;D. The folder contains 43gb of mp3 files and it took almost 7 minutes for Avast! to finally accept this folder into my "Exclusions" list. I should have been more patient, but it never occurred to me it could take anywhere near that long even with a very large folder.

Technical, thank you for the welcome. You have already helped me with several other questions here, and I do appreciate it. :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2005, 05:55:29 AM »
Technical, thank you for the welcome. You have already helped me with several other questions here, and I do appreciate it. :)
It's a plesure when you're useful for someone... Try to help the others and keep this friendly island in the Web  8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2005, 09:44:13 AM »
7 minutes??  ???
The size is certainly nothing that should matter. How many were the files?

smokethapimp

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2005, 07:32:16 PM »
7 minutes??  ???
The size is certainly nothing that should matter. How many were the files?

igor, it was almost 7600 files, mixed media, mostly mp3, but some wav. and mpeg files as well. Total of about 44gb. I actually went to a website and read posts for a while as I let Avast! work on this problem. It did finally take the folder into my "Exclude" list, and a subsequent scan verified that Avast! is actually excluding that folder. Thank you for your replies and help. :)