Author Topic: firewall settings  (Read 13416 times)

cartel

firewall settings
« on: April 19, 2005, 04:32:01 AM »
Hi all.
First let me say avast has worked great and is a good program.
I have ZonealarmPro 4.5 and i need to know what avast components need access.
I have Rpcss.exe, Ashwebsv.exe, ashServ.exe and avast.setup. Could you please tell me what the internet and server access to give them ?
Thanks in advance ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: firewall settings
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 04:34:12 AM »
Could you please tell me what the internet and server access to give them ?

Into the firewall settings, the following programs should be allowed to connect (no nne needs server rights):

ashServ.exe (avast! antivirus service)
ashWebSv.exe (avast! Web Scanner)
ashMaiSv.exe (avast! e-Mail Scanner Service)
ashUpdSv.exe (avast! Update Service)
avast.setup (avast! Update executable)

Welcome to avast...  ;)
The best things in life are free.

cartel

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 04:43:37 AM »
Thanks !
Avast.setup wants sever and internet access
Also Distributed COM Services(rpcss) sometimes wants server access too......
I need to know what the settings are for these, please the setup says it wants server rights. It's kinda weird they didnt demand access like other things like yahoo or the update for avast.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2005, 04:53:28 AM by cartel »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005, 04:49:58 AM »
Avast.setup wants sever and internet access
Are you sure?
I do not use ZA anymore but I thought it never asked for server rights...  ::)

cartel

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005, 04:00:04 PM »
ok sorry i see that its "internet" and "trusted" access. Should I do both ?
What about RPCSS ?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2005, 05:27:40 PM »
RPCSS is not an avast process but a windows process.

http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/rpcss/

You have to identify what is using RPCSS and decide if it is valid use.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2005, 05:29:49 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

cvsa

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2005, 05:48:35 PM »
i've allways forbidden access in ZA for distributed com service (microsoft spy ?) and never had any problem !

;)

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2005, 07:15:03 PM »
Hi,

both need server rights. If you are asked or not depends on the setup of your firewall. These executables do not provide any service for the internet and they don't listen on external network interface, so internet server rights are not needed. They however listen and accept connection on the localhost interface, so the server rights are needed for either the trusted zone or localhost. How exactly this is represented in your firewall, whether the firewall asks you to permit server rights on localhost or not depends on your firewall vendor and configuration.

What I wanted to say is that it is perfectly correct that both Web Scanner and Mail Scanner open ports on localhost and accept connections there.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2005, 09:14:07 PM »
These executables do not provide any service for the internet and they don't listen on external network interface, so internet server rights are not needed.
This is the 'common' language for server rights here in Brazil.
Server rights means 'Internet server rights', outbound connections as a server.
This was my thinking when I wrote they don't need this kind of rights.  8)

MarieJoe

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2005, 03:51:18 AM »
Hi,

both need server rights.

Hmmm, I don't know a lot about computers, but I thought basically no one needs server rights. 
Could you please explain in simpler words why I should give these two server rights. 
Is this why the internet mail and webshield say they are not running and need a subsystem to start?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2005, 04:01:40 AM »
Could you please explain in simpler words why I should give these two server rights.
Lukas was talking that some avast! components behave like a 'server' for the own computer. I mean, they 'act' as a server if you look for the user. But they never connect the Internet as being a server (sending information, etc.). Don't worry, Lukas just confirm what you've already know: 'server rights' are not needed by any part of avast.

Is this why the internet mail and webshield say they are not running and need a subsystem to start?
No, it's not... this is not the standard behavior... Did you disable avast! services?

MarieJoe

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2005, 04:45:24 AM »
No, it's not... this is not the standard behavior... Did you disable avast! services?
I didn't think I did.  I set up Avast and ZA on the same day as I removed NAV and firewall.  They whole experience left me a little foggy. 
Did I disable those two functions??   ???   If I did, was it so as not to interfer with my firewalll  ??? 

And, I also can never remember how to get that display panel that comes up when you right click on Avast and click on "start Avast! antivirus", then the memory scan starts and a taupe rectangle display comes up for scanning. 
I have an automatic scan set up for every two weeks, but that display says I have never scanned my system.

Is this TMI, should I post this elsewhere?

Thanks for whatever sense you can make out of all this ;)

gbark

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2005, 06:54:26 AM »
Hey Technical,

I think you meant "aswUpdSv.exe not ashUpdSv.exe

At least that's the way it is on my system. (and IIRC; for some time)

I just didn't want someone doing a search for the wrong filename.  ;)

galooma

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2005, 08:37:56 AM »
It seems you have some misunderstandings left over from Norton. Avast settings dont facilitate auto sheduling of scans unless you have the pro version i think Check out this linkhttp://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=3796as it shows how it can be done with windows sheduling.
I seem to think Lucas was actually saying server rights are needed for update and web shield to work .
 I couldnt see them doing any harm by allowing it for them and they just might work.
I personally swapped ZA for Kerio recently and lots of others have also.
Good luck  :)

MarieJoe

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2005, 04:00:31 PM »
Clouseau, no I knew that I'd have to schedulte the task in my windows scheduler, and I did that.  And I know it doesn't run a fullscan.
I just wondered why the display panel said I had never done a scan...is that refering to full scans only?  Not the scans set to run automatically?

Thanks.

I'll look into giving Avast! server rights for those two proceeses......