Author Topic: Software Updater : Java : critical but no update available !  (Read 10798 times)

Offline avragorn

Hello,

Since 4 days, software updater from avast free edition (avast updated, it always updates by itself automatically) says once a day that there is a critical problem with the Java update, and asks me to update it ...
But Java updater is already working alone and it never asked me to update Java. So I manually launched Java updater, and it says that I have the latest version. I tested Java on the official Java site too, it says that I have the latest version too .... But I have the 7.0.250.16 version, avast software updater says that there is a 7.0.250.17 available. But Java updater doesn't find it !

Maybe is there a problem with avast software updater ?

Thanks,

- Gilles -
My configuration : Windows 7 Premium - INTEL I5 2500K - NVIDIA/MSI GTX 1050 TI 4gb - AVAST FREE EDITION 22.5.6015

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Software Updater : Java : critical but no update available !
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 02:19:09 PM »
Is there a certain program on your system that requires Java or a webpage you visit that needs Java to run ? if not then it would be best to uninstall Java altogether and be done away with the security risk that Java presents.

iroc9555

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 02:25:47 PM »
If you really need Java. eg. One of your program or site that you use or visit uses it, read this to fix the problem:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=128685.msg959027#msg959027

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 04:17:16 PM »
imo the .16 to .17 change was just minor updater stuff
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

Offline avragorn

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 05:02:28 PM »
imo the .16 to .17 change was just minor updater stuff

Yes, it is maybe the reason why Java updater doesn't launch the update ?

I don't think it is really important, Java uses to update by itself with its automatic updater, so I don't need avast software updater for this. Maybe should I disable software updater for java.

Thank you very much for all your answers :)
My configuration : Windows 7 Premium - INTEL I5 2500K - NVIDIA/MSI GTX 1050 TI 4gb - AVAST FREE EDITION 22.5.6015

pdthomp

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 05:54:47 AM »
Gilles,
     Nice to hear about your problem as I've been having the same issue for almost a month!!  Called AVAST and all they could do for me was ask for $165+ to fix it and now I read your post...  I'm AWFULLY upset right now...  Not to mention the wear and tear I've been under throughout this whole FIASCO worry about when my PC was going to crash...  7.0.250.17 right???  Now to hear it doesn't even exist?!?!?  PLUS someone else is suggesting we DELETE Java all together?!?!?!     I'm starting to think, this will be MY last year as a AVAST customer..........................
                                                   Good Luck to ya Man...  (that is if you're ever allowed to read this...)

pathetic :(

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 02:11:54 PM »
Personally I wouldn't use 3rd party support, but visit the avast forums as your first port of call, certainly on one trying to get you to pay.

As for removing JAVA, that is a very valid suggestion it isn't part of the Operating System, it isn't essential (see below) and is a huge target for malware exploiting vulnerabilities.

- The more important question is do you really need JAVA at all ?
e.g. do you have an application/s that require JAVA or do you have to visit a site/s that require JAVA. If you can answer no or you don't know if you need it, then the likelihood is that you don't need JAVA.

I had a couple of sites that I visited infrequently which used JAVA, but the points raised above outweighed the benefit of the site, so JAVA has long since departed. If you absolutely have to use JAVA then it absolutely has to be kept up to date and avast is trying to do/remind you of that.

As has been said in the link in iroc9555's Reply #2 above, there is a problem with the JAVA as the information avast is comparing is in the installed JAVA being incorrect.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 04:27:34 PM »
Java Updater doesn't work on 64 bit versions, so it won't autoupdate.  See https://forums.oracle.com/thread/2349140.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

OniyaAjila

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 05:33:20 PM »
Also having this problem.  Went to Oracle's website to get the update, and got told 'You already have this software.'  I'm on a 32-bit OS (for reasons of older programs I still use), so Java normally updates on its own.  I've got three machines that run Avast (my daughter's, my spouse's, and my own), and I'm wary of telling either one of them 'just ignore the BIG BLUE WARNING MESSAGE that I told you never to ignore.'

Uninstalling Java is not an option, either. 

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 05:51:40 PM »
Go to http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre7-downloads-1880261.html and download the installers from there.  It will be JRE 7 U25 17, which is the latest.  If you are using only a 32 bit OS, then all you need is the 32 bit JRE install.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

OniyaAjila

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, 02:03:22 AM »
So, Avast still hasn't accepted the fact that - as per Oracle - I have the latest version of Java installed on my system.  Getting really tired of being told that my computer is in 'critical need of an update' when it isn't.  Anyone have any idea when Avast is going to get with the program?

iroc9555

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2013, 02:18:03 AM »
You need to have build # 17. If you updated early, Java published build # 16 and next day came out 17 and that is why AS is telling you that you do not have the update. see my image.

You only have to install java again:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre7-downloads-1880261.html

BOO-7

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 02:02:07 PM »
I've been getting the same messages for several months now. Finally Java 7 is showing up to date in my Avast thingy, However I am still stuck with the critical message concerning Java 6. It still says I need to update, however there is no update showing when I click on "update now"  :(

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 05:21:55 PM »
Avast is finding JAVA 6 or remnants that is why it is throwing up the notice, as JAVA 6 is essentially obsolete. Check your add remove programs/programs and features and uninstall any JAVA 6 installation.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security