Author Topic: Can't Install Avast 8 on Win 8.1 Preview Release  (Read 7281 times)

plsrepli

Can't Install Avast 8 on Win 8.1 Preview Release
« on: July 01, 2013, 05:49:45 PM »
Just downloaded from CNT today. I start the installer and Avast 8 notifies me there is a compatibility issue and aborts the installation. So, is there a compatibility issue between Avast 8 and Windows 8.1 Preview Release?

Aventador

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Can't Install Avast 8 on Win 8.1 Preview Release
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 06:07:44 PM »
What version of avast are you downloading ? the latest un-announced beta is 8.0.1492.

Do keep in mind that it is a beta and problems are to be expected as is the Windows 8.1 a preview and can also have issues.

raven77

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 06:17:59 PM »
Keep clear of that beta if I were you, expect BSOD and a corrupt OS.

Aventador

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 06:28:22 PM »
Keep clear of that beta if I were you, expect BSOD and a corrupt OS.

Which beta are you referring to? Using Windows 8.1 PRE release is a beta and Avast 1492 is also beta. Beta means "expect problems". Thanks.

plsrepli

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 11:46:09 PM »
Hello all,

Thanks to everyone who responded to my tale of woe; however, the new Avast Beta "almost" made it through the entire install but I received another compatibility warning at the end. It also seems like it was trying to run because I kept getting pop-up write violations and the system ended up so garbaged that I decided to go back to Win 7 via a System Image restoral. BTW, during my one-day trial install of the Win 8.1 Preview release, I found nothing that would be considered as "advantageous" over win 8.0. In fact, Microsoft has done more to "force" their will on you! Here are just a few of my findings:

WEI is gone (I'm assuming 8.1 benchmarks are a bit slower than 8.0 so they decided to remove it)
More apps have been added to the "cannot remove list"
Microsoft now requires you to establish a login to complete the 8.1 install (although some say they were able to bypass this requirement)
New start button is an outright farce! (it is nothing more than a Win + X menu in disguise)
Win 7 Recovery has been removed completely (no more System Image backups). Must use 3rd party software now.
You cannot fully disable tabbed browsing in IE 11 (option is gone)
The list goes on-and-on...
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 11:49:26 PM by plsrepli »

Dch48

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 12:03:54 AM »
Hello all,

Thanks to everyone who responded to my tale of woe; however, the new Avast Beta "almost" made it through the entire install but I received another compatibility warning at the end. It also seems like it was trying to run because I kept getting pop-up write violations and the system ended up so garbaged that I decided to go back to Win 7 via a System Image restoral. BTW, during my one-day trial install of the Win 8.1 Preview release, I found nothing that would be considered as "advantageous" over win 8.0. In fact, Microsoft has done more to "force" their will on you! Here are just a few of my findings:

WEI is gone (I'm assuming 8.1 benchmarks are a bit slower than 8.0 so they decided to remove it)
More apps have been added to the "cannot remove list"
Microsoft now requires you to establish a login to complete the 8.1 install (although some say they were able to bypass this requirement)
New start button is an outright farce! (it is nothing more than a Win + X menu in disguise)
Win 7 Recovery has been removed completely (no more System Image backups). Must use 3rd party software now.
You cannot fully disable tabbed browsing in IE 11 (option is gone)
The list goes on-and-on...
I also found 8.1 to be much more sluggish than 8.0. The new Start button is an improvement but still not good enough. I had to make a login to install the evaluation copy of Enterprise 8.0 so having to also do it for 8.1 was no surprise. I encountered other bugs that made 8.1 harder to use than 8.0 as well.

plsrepli

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 12:26:00 AM »
Thanks for your feedback DCH48!