Author Topic: Windows 7 Firewall incompatibility  (Read 24979 times)

thug4real

Re: Windows 7 Firewall incompatibility
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2013, 09:40:59 PM »
Thanx, but I'm thinking of maybe installing Binisoft's Windows Firewall Control.
Well indeed is a good addition. Also I recommend Tinywall (it's free). Personally I prefer to create block rules without any other software(old school :D) because I noticed that even Tinywall/Binisoft somehow slowdown your pc when a new alert is shown.

Kind regards,

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2013, 11:01:06 PM »
Thanx, but I'm thinking of maybe installing Binisoft's Windows Firewall Control.
Well indeed is a good addition. Also I recommend Tinywall (it's free). Personally I prefer to create block rules without any other software(old school :D) because I noticed that even Tinywall/Binisoft somehow slowdown your pc when a new alert is shown.

Kind regards,

Perhaps on your particular configuration, i certainly have not noticed any slowdowns from either of those programs and i have used/tested both quite extensively. Currently using the registered version of WFC from binisoft and very satisfied with the program, works well on Win 8.1 also. Btw there was a new version posted today:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=9671.msg1038643#msg1038643

You can follow the development of the program at Wilders forums: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=347370&page=20

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2013, 12:07:57 AM »
I was too happy too fast...

I have an executable file which when executed opens my Firefox and visits some site on the internet.

I properly blocked that exe file for outbound connection in Windows 7 Firewall and the file was still able to visit the site on the internet. :(

Then I blocked it with Sandboxie and it was not able to access internet.

What's the problem?
Intel Core i7 Q 740 @ 1.73 GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, Avast! Free Antivirus, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free version) and Sandboxie (paid version).

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2013, 08:00:35 AM »
If it is Firefox who does the network connection (even if instructed to do so by other executable) you need to block Firefox.

Offline abruptum

• Massive Poster
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2013, 09:06:55 AM »
@lukor
Can you please see if you can reproduce this problem:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=143039.0

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2013, 09:32:41 AM »
Should be fixed now.

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2013, 02:53:08 PM »
If it is Firefox who does the network connection (even if instructed to do so by other executable) you need to block Firefox.

So if an executable that is blocked calls Firefox Firefox will be able to access the internet? I tought that the blocked rule transfers to all programs called from the original blocked exe?
Intel Core i7 Q 740 @ 1.73 GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, Avast! Free Antivirus, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free version) and Sandboxie (paid version).

thekochs

« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2013, 04:07:47 PM »

So if an executable that is blocked calls Firefox Firefox will be able to access the internet? I tought that the blocked rule transfers to all programs called from the original blocked exe?

Agreed..........this does not seem to make sense........I would think you need to block the EXE......if it can run a browser then it truly is not "blocked" is it ?  Blocking the Browser itself would not be a solution.

Looking forward to the Avast Team clarification.

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2013, 01:50:41 AM »
@ Avast! team: What's up with that? Please explain, thank you. :)

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2014, 02:43:55 PM »
Will this be changed in the next version maybe?

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2014, 12:50:03 AM »
Reply please. :)

olddog

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2014, 08:14:16 AM »
Bellzemos,

If you block your .exe from outgoing with Windows firewall, and you don't have Avast Webshield installed, does the .exe still get out via Firefox, or does the Windows firewall block then work?

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2014, 02:28:27 PM »
Hello! Has the Avast VS Windows 7 Firewall incompatibility (outbound protection) been solved in the last version? Anyone tried? I haven't yet.