Author Topic: hide icon and messages  (Read 1903 times)

Offline ds123

hide icon and messages
« on: July 01, 2013, 04:29:54 PM »
I keep setting the hide icon and messages but i still get the message 'Avast has updated program' and the icon keeps reappearing on the task bar.

I know you can hide icons with windows but i want the program to hide the icon because when you hide icons with windows you are left with
an arrow for showing icons you chose to hide.

I contacted support but the help was of little use.

Program - Avast Internet Security Version 8.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: hide icon and messages
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 10:57:54 PM »
Click and drag the icon into the "hidden" icons. You can do this by dragging over the little arrow.
As far as pop-ups you can limit the duration by going...GUI>Settings>Pop-ups.
From there change the time to what you want.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline ds123

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 08:30:51 PM »
I still believe there's a bug as in previous versions i could hide the icon and update messages completely.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 09:03:20 PM »
What exactly do you mean by hiding the icon and which icon are you talking about ?

If you are talking about hiding (windows taskbar) or not displaying (avast settings) the avast tray icon, that wouldn't stop update notifications as the avastUI.exe would be running but not displaying the icon. This has been the same for as long as I have been using avast (4.x to 8.0) just over nine years.

You can disable the auto update notifications (nothing to do with the tray icon) avastUI > Settings > Updates > Details, uncheck the 'Show notification box after automatic update' option.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security