Author Topic: Avast for Mac does not allow Firefox and Safari to connect to internet  (Read 28240 times)

Hughmoz

Re: Avast for Mac does not allow Firefox and Safari to connect to internet
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2013, 09:24:24 PM »
Thank you.

Hughmoz

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2013, 12:29:54 PM »
I have now set Avast to open on log in, however, is there a way of stopping it jumping up on the screen instead of just sitting on the dock?

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2013, 03:26:25 PM »
WHY!?
When you install Avast! it sets itself to start automatically when you turn on your computer, you don't need to set it to launch at login, you get the avast logo on your menu bar at the top right.

For someone who complains about software not working out of the box you are really making it hard on yourself. You are suppose to install avast! and forget it, no need to tinker with it once is set up and running.

Hughmoz

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2013, 03:49:55 PM »
You love to be right as much as I like to find an issue with Avast.  I only put Avast into the log-in items list as when I booted up my computer this morning it told me that vast was not running. To say that Avast is foolproof or works properly would be to discount this whole forum.

With your help I managed to get my Mac running very smoothly after going through the multitudinal areas of removing stuff in various registers etc., and i also took that opportunity to remove other old stuff that had stayed in the various directories/registers.

If Avast is sitting on the dock at start-up is it running, even though when you click on it it says that it is not initialised. And why would my Mac say that it is not running?

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2013, 06:25:46 PM »
The Mackeeper thing probably never allowed a correct installation of Avast!! You keep blaming avast for the stuff that mackeeper did to your mac.

What you put on the login is launching the avast application, when it says avast is not running it's referring to avast background services which should be started automatically

Uninstall avast by opening avast, going to the avast menu on the menu bar at the top and choose uninstall, reboot, install avast again.

I'm out of this this thread, good luck!

Hughmoz

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2013, 10:59:46 PM »
Well, i wish that I had not taken your last advice as having deleted Avast from my computer and downloading it anew I'm back to square one now as neither Firefox or Safari will load.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 11:27:40 PM by Hughmoz »

Hughmoz

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2013, 02:44:40 AM »
Weird stuff this Avast. Just turned on my computer at 1-30 am and switched on the Web Shield and suddenly everything is working fine. THat's great but Avast need to make it far more stable and straightforward. ;)

Hughmoz

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2013, 11:17:18 AM »
Just got up and booted up Mac and hey ho Avast is blocking browsers again. Tried uninstalling and re-installing extensions from WebRep but to no avail. :(

I was running Sophos and Avast on my Mac as I wanted to cover Windows stuff as well so that I do not pass on and windows viruses to PC users but I have just given up now and deleted Sophos and re-installed Avast and it works as intended now which is great. Does anyone know if you can run both Sophos and Avast on a Mac? ;)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 12:59:38 PM by Hughmoz »

Bud Robinson

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2013, 06:45:34 AM »
I am new to Antivirus software for the Mac.  In fact, I am evaluating alternatives for the subject.  In my process I came across the statement, "Please note that avast! will not run properly if you have other antivirus software installed," at http://www.avast.com/en-us/free-antivirus-mac.  Maybe, this will help you.  I don't know since I'm a newbie.

Hughmoz

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2013, 12:33:05 PM »
Hi Bud

thanks for your post. I just stayed with Sophos in the end as it works perfectly, covers, both Mac and Microsoft stuff and just gets on with it. Have had no problems at all since,it updates automatically and no infections. :)