Author Topic: windows xp has a problem with avastUI.exe and needs to close the program  (Read 2865 times)

ninoslava

Hello all,

We are having problem with Avast, 8.0.1483. It upgraded itself, we waited for too long to do it. Now, we can not opet Avast, either from Desktop/Start Menu or from the System Tray. It is working, but if we try to open Avast, we can not. And registration is about to expire  :-\
Also, often this message from the subject of my post comes.

Can you help, please?
Thanks a lot!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
The latest version is 8.0.1489, so I would advise a clean reinstall.

Download the latest version of avast, 8.0.1489 http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for all versions).
  • 1. Now uninstall avast! - using add remove programs, if you can't do that (as appears to be the case) start from the next step, reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, it will request it be run from safe mode (and will handle the boot into safe mode), first for 7.x if previously installed and then for 8.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ninoslava

Thank you very much!

One more question, when registration expires, Avast stops updating virus database? Does it also stop working completely?

Thanks again!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
As far as I'm aware it is just the virus database updates that stop not the program (not that I ever get to that point). But leaving an anti-virus program that isn't having the virus definitions updated lowers your protection; so it is important to re-register before or as soon after the registration expires.

Edit: typo
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 01:11:50 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ninoslava

Yes, thank you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
You're welcome.