Author Topic: ZoneAlarm 4.5.594 and newest aVast  (Read 9952 times)

HA Nut

ZoneAlarm 4.5.594 and newest aVast
« on: April 22, 2005, 06:04:28 AM »
Anything special that I need to know about running this version of free ZA with new aVast? I have a friend that will soon be adding free aVast to her new laptop. And I don't install anything newer ZA than ZA 4.5.594...

jocksun

Re: ZoneAlarm 4.5.594 and newest aVast
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005, 01:46:35 PM »
I use ZA PRO 5.5+AVAST 4.6.623 PRO.
I think they are the best
WinXP PRO SP2 en

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2005, 02:06:13 PM »
HA Nut
Anything special that I need to know about running this version of free ZA with new aVast? I have a friend that will soon be adding free aVast to her new laptop. And I don't install anything newer ZA than ZA 4.5.594...

Personaly I would have the latest version of Avast! and ZoneAlarm (free or Pro). That's what I have, and I can't see any point to not having the latest updates, of both ?

HA Nut

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2005, 04:46:50 PM »
Thanks for the replies! I had read somewhere on the web that the new version and ZA may have some issues. Just wanted to be sure.

As for newer 5.x versions of ZA, I have just read too many things that I don't like. Privacy issues, bugs and such. There may not be much to these issues but I just don't want to go to all the trouble to find out. 4.5.594 is stable and has ran perfectly on anything I've tried it on...

MFB

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2005, 06:35:03 AM »
Actually, the Pro edition of Zone Alarm has these privacy controls that makes it a tought program.  Zone Alarm free works pretty well with avast!   :)

guestja

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2005, 02:52:39 PM »
I use Zone Alarm 4.5 free and the latest version of Avast. There are no issures, and you don't have to use those "special conditions settings if you are using Zone Alarm" that pop up during install.  I was using version 5.5 but returned to 4.5 because it is more stable on my system. Also, there was a post on the Zone Labs forum where an individual pointed out that he went throung all the release notes of the versions since 4.5 and there has not been one single  security update since then. I couldn't find the post just now, but he was adamant that this was the case. If this is true, why not stick with the more stable version? If you go to the Zone Labs Forum right now you will see that many are having a nightmare with the true vector service in 5.5.

I found the post where the statement was made concerning security updates.
http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=gen&message.id=24123

Here is a quote from Poster -  Tanner GBD -  "I said it before. and I'll say it again. There have not been any changes to the firewall engine or security updates/exploits patched since version 4.5.538.001."
« Last Edit: July 04, 2005, 03:53:57 PM by jwa »

Hobbit1

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2005, 08:02:48 PM »
I am currently running ZA free (ZoneAlarm version:5.5.094.000) on my WinMe machine with Avast without any problems.  I have the current ZA Pro on my WinXP machine, and have had no issues witth the TrueVector service except those caused by a bad update which ZA fixed pretty quickly.  I am not yet running Avast! on my winXPmachine, however, because I had heard that you had to turn off the privacy protection on ZA Pro to use Avast with it.
Jocksun, you seem to be using them both.  Any issues?

Drwngflies

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2005, 09:31:17 PM »
I am not having any issues with Zone Alarm Pro (FW/AV) v.5.5.094.000, while also using Avast Home v. 4.6.684. In fact, I am more than pleased with this combo, over my previous set-up... (hungry) Norton 2004/2005 (tried both)
I use 6 of the 7 on-access scanners, only because I don't use Outlook Express.
The only issue I ever had with the Avast, was I tried to dnld Panda Titanium, and Avast mis-took Panda as a threat, (Kuang2-Trojan) even though it wasn't. This could be atttributed as a conflict between apps only.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2005, 09:56:41 PM »
The only issue I ever had with the Avast, was I tried to dnld Panda Titanium, and Avast mis-took Panda as a threat, (Kuang2-Trojan) even though it wasn't. This could be atttributed as a conflict between apps only.

These are false detections due to Panda active scan: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=12432.msg104932#msg104932
It's not a conflic but due to Panda Antivirus does not encrypt its virus database - the signatures inside are clearly "visible" to other antiviral programs, so they detect this file as infected (but there is actually no virus inside - only the signatures are the same). Shame on Panda  :P
The best things in life are free.

coleman232

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2005, 10:28:04 PM »
just downloaded avast home and zone alarm. i just want opinions guys. im setting up a pc and i want to know which programs to install first:

Windows XP
VIA 4 in 1 Motherboard Drivers
WinXP SP2
Video Driver
Sound Driver
Avast Anti-Virus
Zone Alarm

please put it in order. thanks!

MFB

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2005, 10:33:16 PM »
just downloaded avast home and zone alarm. i just want opinions guys. im setting up a pc and i want to know which programs to install first:

Windows XP
VIA 4 in 1 Motherboard Drivers
WinXP SP2
Video Driver
Sound Driver
Avast Anti-Virus
Zone Alarm

please put it in order. thanks!

You pretty much have a basic security right there, do you have an antispyware?

here are some free antispywares that are safe:

Ad-Aware
 Spybot Search and Destroy
 Spywareblaster

coleman232

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2005, 10:37:39 PM »
downloading those 3 now.  :)

btw, which one do I install first? Avast or Zone Alarm?

MFB

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2005, 10:39:12 PM »
I suggest installing a firewall first if you don't have a firewall yet.   I downloaded Avast! first because I already had Windows Firewall and Zone Alarm can just disable it once I finish downloading Zone Alarm.

coleman232

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2005, 11:03:23 PM »
i already got the setup files offline and im installing everything offline.

does it matter if i install ZA or Avast first?

MFB

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2005, 11:10:08 PM »
If your not connected to the internet or have Windows Firewall, you can install anything you like in any order I suppose.