Author Topic: Do I really need "ShadowCopy" of Free Avast Program Files?  (Read 2437 times)

hrrogersjr

Do I really need "ShadowCopy" of Free Avast Program Files?
« on: July 10, 2013, 04:13:36 AM »
Entered the word, "Avast" on my C Drive Search. Whoa....I noticed TWO IDENTICAL sets of Free Avast Program files...one of them 361MB (1585 files).  I proceeded to (at least) delete one of them...but when I tried to take Ownership...Avast notified me, I had permission "to only view"...not change.
What the Heck....?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Do I really need "ShadowCopy" of Free Avast Program Files?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 08:30:39 AM »
Where exactly are those two sets located?

hrrogersjr

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 02:19:19 AM »
Thanks, Igor for responding. BOTH are listed at: 07/09/13  One at 8:43 P.M. the Second at 9:34 P.M.
The First is in C:\ Program Files\Avast Software  377MB (713 files, 129 folders)
The Second inC;\ Avast Software Properties        377MB (713 files, 129 folders)

Igor...Listen, I don't really care about daily modifications, but (this above) is odd.
There are OTHER Exact Doubles such as these, but not near as large in size.
I mean...this (practice?) could end-up being Kaspersky-ish sized in the end.

Sincerely, hrrogers.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 02:31:05 AM by hrrogersjr »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 04:54:46 PM »
I was asking because avast! has two folders, one is the selected installation folder (by default, C:\Program Files\Avast Software\Avast), the other one is a data folder (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software\Avast for Windows XP, C:\ProgramData\Avast Software\Avast on Vista and higher) - but they are certainly not identical.

So I really don't know why you have two copies of the folder on your system, it shouldn't be the case (possibility is that it's actually not two copies, but just a link... but again, no idea who would create it).

Commander C

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 11:01:39 AM »
Is this on Windows 7?

This is just a guess, but maybe it's because of the symbolic link to the folder "Program Files"?
I don't know if this happens also on Vista or Windows 8, but on 7 there exist 2 Folders, one named "Program Files", and a translated one (for example in German) "Programme", which is just a symbolic Link to "Program Files".

I'm curious because the size and the file and folder count is exactly the same.
So maybe the search just gets confused and lists the same folder twice?