Author Topic: FireFox VS Chrome?  (Read 58602 times)

Offline honda2010

FireFox VS Chrome?
« on: July 11, 2013, 07:44:04 PM »
I am a die hard FireFox user but I see Avast recommends chrome. I downloaded chrome todays it seems to smoke ff by a long shot as far as speed but just gotta learn all the settings and such. What is you alls opinion on this. Do you use ff or chrome for your browsers? Any imput is appreciated. Thanks!!
GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-S2P AMD 760 Motherboard ,  AMD FX-6100 Processor - Six Core, 8MB L3 Cache, 6MB L2 Cache, 3.30GHz (3.90GHz Max Turbo), Socket AM3+, 95W, Unlocked, OEM, Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB Desktop Memory Module - DDR3, Samsung Evo SSD, Windows 10 Latest , Fire Fox Latest with ABP, Malwarebytes Pro.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: FireFox VS Chrome?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 07:55:41 PM »
You may well of opened a can of worms with this one. I use both. May I suggest you get certain add-ons/extensions.
AdBlock Plus, Virus Total, Do No Track Me are just a few. But to each their own.

You will find forum members prefer FF over Chrome and the other way around.
We have some who use only Chrome and some that use only Firefox.

Side note Chrome seems to be the most popular browser anymore. See http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline honda2010

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 07:58:12 PM »
I'm just wanting some opinions. I've never used chrome before until about a hour ago. I seem to like it and speed is amazing.
GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-S2P AMD 760 Motherboard ,  AMD FX-6100 Processor - Six Core, 8MB L3 Cache, 6MB L2 Cache, 3.30GHz (3.90GHz Max Turbo), Socket AM3+, 95W, Unlocked, OEM, Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB Desktop Memory Module - DDR3, Samsung Evo SSD, Windows 10 Latest , Fire Fox Latest with ABP, Malwarebytes Pro.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 08:07:27 PM »
I used Firefox for a while and since moved to Chrome. I like it's speed and how each tab is opened under a different process. FF, for some reason, liked to freeze up often on my computer. So, speed, separate processes, and lack of freezing caused me to make the switch. If Chrome starts freezing up for whatever reason, I would switch back to Firefox.

To me, both are very nice browsers that are easily customized to your liking. Speed and functionality determined my final decision.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 08:09:35 PM by Charyb »

Offline honda2010

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 08:09:29 PM »
I used Firefox for a while and since moved to Chrome. I like it's speed and how each tab is opened under a different process. FF, for some reason, liked to freeze up often on my computer. So, speed, separate processes, and lack of freezing caused me to make the switch. If Chrome starts freezing up for whatever reason, I would switch back to Firefox.

To me, both are very nice browsers that are easily customized to your liking. Speed and functionality was my final decision.

This freezing up issue is 1 of the reasons I'm trying chrome. Another is Avast recommends it. Thanks for your input.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 10:35:16 PM »
I haven't experienced this freezing up of firefox that you talk of, but my guess it would probably a misbehaving add-on.

I would try running it for a while in safe browsing mode, e.g. all add-ons disabled and see if it still occurs.

As for the FireFox VS Chrome question, it is a matter of personal choice and needs of your browser. I have been using firefox for some considerable time now and have on occasion installed chrome and I really haven't been able to get on with its interface. So firefox suits my needs and I like its highly configurable interface and add-on support.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 11:10:24 PM »
I started as a fervent firefox or rather flock user, but after some security extensions came available to Google Chrome also like adblocking, a script and pop-ip blocker etc., I have come to appreciate that browser also. Both browsers have the Google Safebrowsing protection. Matter of choice and what feels good to you,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 05:20:40 AM »
I'm quite happy using Chrome as my default browser for a long time.
I also have all of the other popular browsers available to me.
Browser popularity and which one is the best one, depends entirely on who you ask the question.
Current the most recent version of any of the popular browsers are safe to use.
We each have our favorite and a lot of which is your favorite depends on which one you use
and which one get get familiar with.

Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 06:33:02 AM »
What is you alls opinion on this. Do you use ff or chrome for your browsers? Any imput is appreciated. Thanks!!

See my sig.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline honda2010

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 03:54:16 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

Thundagia

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 03:05:21 AM »
I prefer google chrome, as its much faster compared to any of the browsers i have used so far. Firefox has some nice utilities though that google chrome is missing out on. 

Offline magna86

• Anti Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • Ambulanta MyCity Forum - ASAP Member
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 05:15:05 PM »
I use Firefox (just habit + my bookmarks is complex and large. Therefor is not possible for me just to switch to Chrome) and though I know that Chrome it quicker and more stable browser, I somehow do not like some of its settings.

P.S: Did you know that IE10 (soon 11 ) is much faster, more stable and more secure browser than Chrome is.  ;D

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 05:18:58 PM »
P.S: Did you know that IE10 (soon 11 ) is much faster, more stable and more secure browser than Chrome is.  ;D

Your not really pulling my bloody leg are you magna86 ;D or it just your IMHO ;)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 05:31:19 PM by SpeedyPC »
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2013, 05:37:16 PM »

Your not really pulling my bloody leg are you magna86 ;D or it just your IMHO ;)
Its actually very true Speedy :)

Offline magna86

• Anti Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • Ambulanta MyCity Forum - ASAP Member
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2013, 05:43:54 PM »

You not really pulling my bloody leg are you magna86 ;D or it just your IMHO ;)

Haha, no it's not my opinion.  ;D It has been proven many times in various tests. In Windows Phone v8 too you have IE v10 browser that is very fast and very stable.
IE 11 is even better. Much better...
Think about it. Who knows Windows OS's better than Microsoft does.
Please do not get me wrong, I indeed do not like to use IE. Like all Microsoft products, IE is too "locked up" and it's not allowed to user to set the IE browser and to be used as we wants but we must use it as Microsoft has imagined. Like a MAC OS's ... ::)
For this reason IE is not popular, and they (MS) do not want to listen the users desires so ... theyfor I do not like IE and not use it.

But when we talk about security and stability, IE is ...