Author Topic: Windows95 Spyware & Virus Removal  (Read 6449 times)

lilypadrees

Windows95 Spyware & Virus Removal
« on: March 28, 2005, 06:23:45 PM »
Could someone please give me the link to avast's Win95 anti-virus program home edition?

One of my computers is a Win95 (not my choice - it was all the company had at the time) and riddled with viruses & worms. I dare not hook it up without having an exact link.

Before I was advised by a friend to turn off the computer and unhook it, there were 175 Trojans & Worms and 75 spyware. And I had trouble getting onlne with it for up to 45 minutes.

We do not live near a computer repair shop and have difficulty getting transportation since we don't drive.  So that would be the last resort if the avast products didn't work. My plan is to install the home edition of the anti-virus software as well as the virus cleaner if there is also a version of that for Win95.

Thank you for your help.

Lily

DukeNukem

Re: Windows95 Spyware & Virus Removal
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 06:53:12 PM »
avast 4.6 Home Edition

http://www.avast.com/eng/down_home.html

avast cleaner

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_cleaner.html

And this is Trend Micro Housecall, an online scanner

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Good luck in cleaning your system  ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 09:51:47 PM »
There were 175 Trojans & Worms and 75 spyware.

Consider reformating the HDD and starting again... Could be safer and easier...
Start just from the beginning using an antivirus and an anti-spyware resident applications  ;)
The best things in life are free.

lilypadrees

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 03:55:22 PM »
Thank you both for your help. ;D

I would LOVE to reformat the HDD. But when I insert the software CDs that came with my PC, it asks for a certificate number before it will allow me to reformat. How & where do I find that? The computer came with one sheet telling how to hook everything up & that's all. It didn't come with an antivirus software program or anything. I think that's why it became infected. I couldn't find anything in the stores when I looked for something. Technical support for Win 95 systems is no more. (The news said that was being phased out entirely because no one had that anymore. It was supposed to be effective last June, I believe.)

I have the same reformatting problem with my XP computer. It had vital programs which somehow got erased from the system. The software did not come with the computer & had to be ordered from the company. They also wanted a certificate number. I'm completely lost. I remember filling in a number when I registered the PC but don't know where it is on the computer (I didn't write it down in the manual) so I can copy it.

Both PCs need reformatting badly.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2005, 04:09:39 PM »
I would LOVE to reformat the HDD.

Boot with a DOS floppy and use fdisk to delete the partition.
Then, create a new one, boot, format it...
Quite easy  8)

fdisk.exe could be found Googling  8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline xistenz

• Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2005, 06:10:54 PM »
Look for the certificate number on the case of the computer, or in the Windows 95 manual.

whocares

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2005, 10:44:15 PM »
I would advise that you get either the certificate from the vendor / previous owner, if you really can't find it with the manual or so, or get some cheap legal copy from ebay..

I don't know if without this you will be able to RE_install Windows; and finding that out after FORMATTING would be a bit too late.., so I'd wait a bit with fdisk & format

some Win95 systems come with a restore utility, that reverts the PC to the state it was in when sold. This might be started with a DOS-Bootdisk (see e.g.  www.bootdisk.com ) and might be called:
ERU  or 
recovery or ....

try googling and browse the microsoft knowledge-base

you could also try
- avast for DOS (see board-search)
- F-PROT for DOS
- CLRAV.com
the latter two you should find via Google or the link "VirusRemoval" below in my sig

you additionally need a clean, write-protected bootdisk for this, which has to be made on a Clean PC, of course..

be sure to select REPAIR / DISINFECT first, when viruses are found; only in cases where this is not possible, select rename or move

;)

lilypadrees

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 04:39:25 AM »
Look for the certificate number on the case of the computer, or in the Windows 95 manual.

My Win95 computer only came with one sheet of paper not a manual (it's an IBM, that's all I know about it). And that only stated where to hook up the connections. It was bought through Sweepstakes Clearinghouse. And they were no help at all. >:(

lilypadrees

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2005, 04:42:30 AM »
I would advise that you get either the certificate from the vendor / previous owner, if you really can't find it with the manual or so, or get some cheap legal copy from ebay..

I don't know if without this you will be able to RE_install Windows; and finding that out after FORMATTING would be a bit too late.., so I'd wait a bit with fdisk & format

some Win95 systems come with a restore utility, that reverts the PC to the state it was in when sold. This might be started with a DOS-Bootdisk (see e.g.  www.bootdisk.com ) and might be called:
ERU  or 
recovery or ....

try googling and browse the microsoft knowledge-base

you could also try
- avast for DOS (see board-search)
- F-PROT for DOS
- CLRAV.com
the latter two you should find via Google or the link "VirusRemoval" below in my sig

you additionally need a clean, write-protected bootdisk for this, which has to be made on a Clean PC, of course..

be sure to select REPAIR / DISINFECT first, when viruses are found; only in cases where this is not possible, select rename or move

;)

Thank you. I have a friend who has a Win95 PC. (I think we're the only ones left.) Hopefully, she can help me with this. :)

Now where would the certificate number be found on my XP computer? (If it's on the outside, is it the model number? Serial number?)

When I registered that one, I had to go through one of their "wizard" programs. Can't remember what it was called. My ME & 95 PCs didn't have that installed on theirs. I lost the sheet of paper that had the number on it. But I recall having to type it in order to register my PC online rather than through snail mail. The number should still be in there somewhere. I just need to know where to look.

Thank you for your help.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2005, 05:00:55 AM by lilypadrees »

Ether

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2005, 02:03:56 PM »
we have a win95 manual and i thought this might be useful

Certificate of Authenticity
Product ID : [removed]

this is from a legal copy so it should work, i think.
i haven't done a windows 95 install in years

Admin Edit: sorry, even though Win95 is certainly an obsolete thing today, I don't think this is the right place to post serial numbers.

Edit: Oh well, you can message me if you want the id.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2005, 09:21:29 PM by Ether »