Author Topic: Has update messed up my e mail handler?  (Read 3831 times)

yve

Has update messed up my e mail handler?
« on: April 23, 2005, 03:34:11 PM »
Hi

I run Outlook 2002 on both my Desktop & Laptop and have Avast 4.6 Home Edition loaded and up to date on both machines.

In the last couple of days, I've found that any e mails received go to Outlook Express rather than Outlook.  I have Outlook set as the default mail handler and OE isn't usually open.  This has never happened before and no settings have been changed.

I have tried everything I can think of correct this problem, including seeking advice on various forums and no one can understand why this has happened.

Is it possible that one of the updates to Avast in the last couple of days may have upset something?

If so how can I correct it.  I don't really want to have to un install then re install Avast if I can help it.

Any suggestions will be very welcome.

Yve

niko

Re: Has update messed up my e mail handler?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2005, 04:37:13 PM »
Hi Yves,
You should have a look in "Outlook/Exchange" setup.
You can customize it and ask Avast! mail scanner to send inbound messages in a specific Outlook folder...
Hope this will help you :)

niko

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2005, 04:39:27 PM »
Sorry:
Hi Yves
:
Hi Yve!

yve

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2005, 05:04:51 PM »
Thanks for the reply Niko.

I've done as you suggested but I've only got the option to move infected files to a specfic folder rather than all messages :(

Yve

niko

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2005, 05:34:07 PM »
Sorry Yve,
I'm looking for your pb on my desktop without solution :-[
But I'm still searching, don't loose your hope 8)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2005, 06:40:26 PM »
I run Outlook 2002 on both my Desktop & Laptop and have Avast 4.6 Home Edition loaded and up to date on both machines.

In the last couple of days, I've found that any e mails received go to Outlook Express rather than Outlook.  I have Outlook set as the default mail handler and OE isn't usually open.  This has never happened before and no settings have been changed.
Yve
I too can't understand how this could happen by an avast update. I have however, known stranger things happen with OE and IE, like their taking over default browser or email program.

Check OE's tools Options General Tab and see if it is the default (see image) - also check IE's Tools, Internet Options, programs (see image) and ensure Outlook is your default email program.

Do you use OE at all?
If not you could terminate the avast Internet Mail provider and only have the Outlook/Exchange provider enabled. This would not get round the default issue though.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security