Author Topic: PC will not load specific URL in any browser on pc  (Read 10800 times)

stephenc

PC will not load specific URL in any browser on pc
« on: July 12, 2013, 05:34:47 PM »
For some reason my PC will not open a specific URL in any browser (IE, Chrome Firefox or Torch) however when I type the URL into a proxy server page it loads fine.

I can also get the URL in a laptop connected to the same home wifi network.

I'm using Avast free anti virus but don't see anything wrong here in the settings. I've even disabled it while testing.

It's a work extranet URL so I'm afraid I can't post it

Advice appreciated!

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: PC will not load specific URL in any browser on pc
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 05:43:14 PM »
Why won't it load, e.g. error message or avast alert, etc. what ?

Without the URL it may be somewhat difficult to pin down the cause. What is your operating system and firewall ?

You say that you have tried it with avast disabled, yet you still have a problem ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

eltonzoto

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 05:50:56 PM »
Try to open your URL in Safe Mode + Networking Enable. If that works, your issues may be related with Avast, otherwise you should check for other things.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 07:22:35 PM »
That may be a bit of a stretch considering the OP has tried with avast disabled in normal mode.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

stephenc

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 11:00:34 AM »
The error message I get when trying to load the page on my desktop PC is -

IE8 - Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
Firefox - The connection has timed out

My OS is XP Pro x64 Serv Pack 2. The firewall is on.

I'm unable to try it in Safe Mode as it won't connect to the internet on my wifi.

The URL is 100% and loads fine from my laptop on the same wifi network, but just won't load at all on my desktop.

stephenc

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 11:34:43 AM »
The attached may give a better idea of the problem. On the left is the URL being loaded into IE without success. On the right is the same URL being loaded into a proxy server at http://tunnel.freefromall.com/index.php also in IE.

It is only this 1 URL which I'm unable to load (as far as I know) but it's a particularly important one.

Offline abruptum

• Massive Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 11:47:51 AM »
Try changing DNS servers.I had problems with some sites with DNS servers from my ISP.
I am using Norton DNS and Open DNS.You can change them quickly with DNS Jumper.
  http://www.sordum.org/7952/dns-jumper-v1-0-5/

stephenc

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 12:26:06 PM »
Thanks for this abruptum, but I'm a bit wary of changing dns settings and even if it worked, it would be a work around and not a fix.

I've never had any problem with the URL before and so there must be an easy solution to resolving it; problem is I just can't find it  :'(

Aventador

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 12:33:14 PM »
There is nothing wrong with changing your DNS servers. People do it all the time. I use OpenDNS myself and they even show you how to change it. OpenDNS is probably the best DNS servers.

http://www.opendns.com/

eltonzoto

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 12:35:15 PM »
First you need to rule out if you can reach that URL, using ping command. Than try to access your URL directly from its IP address.  Also, to be sure, try an DNS clear, using Start/Run type "ipconfig /flushdns".

stephenc

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2013, 01:13:37 PM »
I ran the flushdns command first as that was the easiest (didn't work)

I then did a reverse ip address, ended up at http://www.ipchecking.com/ and tried http://5.57.16.51/ This did not work either but I double checked the address was correct on my laptop and after a warning about the site being safe, it loaded it so I know its on my PC and not router.

I'm afraid I don't know how to ping the URL

eltonzoto

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 02:52:11 PM »
About PING command forget it, I tried to ping your IP 5.57.16.51, it seems to have blocked ICMP. Take a look at: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc. Find "hosts" file and try to open with Notepad. Check there for any suspicious configuration. By default this file is like in attachment.

I don't think Avast has to do with this issue. In any case, uninstall Avast, and test your page without it. :)

stephenc

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 05:04:52 PM »
Thanks eltonzoto, I've tried to check the folder C:\Windows\System32\drivers but to be honest, I don't really know what to look for or what other folders to check.

I also disabled Avast from the system tray, restarted the PC and tried again but without success; it still won't load the site.

Do you really think totally uninstalling Avast will make any difference?

Surely there must be a clue in the fact that -

A - it loads on my laptop on the same wifi.
B - it loads when I use a proxy server on the PC.

With regard to the proxy, surely if Avast was the problem it wouldn't allow it to load?

Offline abruptum

• Massive Poster
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 05:18:10 PM »
I still believe the problem is with default DNS servers from your ISP.
In my case sites were also working with proxy.When I changed DNS
servers sites were working fine without proxy server.
Use DNS Jumper,it is easy.You don't have to install anything,just unzip
file and run DnsJumper.

eltonzoto

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2013, 10:58:14 PM »
Hi stephenc,

Regarding Windows hosts file. You must follow this path: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\ 
where "etc" is directory. Inside "etc" you can find the file called "hosts". Open it, using 
Notepad or any text editor, and check if there are changes compared with default configuration (like in attach image). In many cases, the "hosts" file is object of malwares which modify the basic configuration.

You can try DNSJumper mentioned by abruptum, but IMO, you are using the same ISP, so if the DNS would be the root cause, both computers should have same symptoms. Anyway, rule out this option.