Author Topic: PC will not load specific URL in any browser on pc  (Read 10798 times)

stephenc

Re: PC will not load specific URL in any browser on pc
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2013, 11:02:32 PM »
Apologies eltonzoto, I thought by etc you meant other similar drivers  :-[

Anyway, I've now checked and it says simply -

127.0.0.1       localhost
::1       localhost

Does that mean anything?

eltonzoto

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2013, 11:38:23 PM »
Good, that's the default config.

Btw, have you tried disable Windows Firewall?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 11:54:57 PM by eltonzoto »

stephenc

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2013, 12:11:32 AM »
I still believe the problem is with default DNS servers from your ISP.
In desperation I've tried this as the attached image shows and still no joy  :(

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2013, 12:19:22 AM »
The reason you may have trouble getting there with IE is because the certificate has expired

stephenc

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2013, 12:28:42 AM »
I thought I'd found the answer here. If I go to Tools | Intenet Options | Security and then click to open Restricted Sites and then click Sites, I get the attached which includes a list of IP addresses with wildcards.

Highlights them and then clicking remove does not work. I did manage to remove a few but quite a few are left. The only problem is that I don't see the IP address of the problem site and also this is in IE. Surely this would not block IP's in other browsers?

stephenc

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2013, 12:35:34 AM »
The reason you may have trouble getting there with IE is because the certificate has expired
Yes, but why would I be able to view it on another computer also on XP and IE8?

Also, I'm the only one having this problem with the URL.

Aventador

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2013, 12:48:56 AM »
Why are you restricting all those site? Have you cleaned out your cookies and temp files?

stephenc

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2013, 12:59:28 PM »
Yes, I've run ccCleaner, Temp file remover, Super Anti Spyware and one or two other programs but I can't remove this IP'addresses from the list. I'm not even sure how they got there but they won't delete.

Aventador

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2013, 02:00:51 PM »
Its actually best not to use Internet Explorer. But Internet Explorer does have a reset option. Have you tried that?

stephenc

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2013, 12:59:13 PM »
Just reset all zones back to default level and applied it. Restarted IE browser but IP addresses are still there and still unable to remove.

I wonder if these IP addresses are held in the registry and apply to all browsers?

eltonzoto

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2013, 01:37:05 PM »
HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CUrrentVersion/Internet Settings/ZoneMap/Domains

The IE Restricted Sites by default should be empty. Maybe in the past you've used any software which must have added this list for immunize affect against malwares. I too have many domains inside Restrict Zone. This happened after I scan my PC with Advanced System Care 6.

The weird thing is, I can delete these entries directly for IE, without any problem. While for you, as you mentioned, it's impossible! :o   

stephenc

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2013, 02:26:07 PM »
This could be the problem eltonzoto. I'd wanted to post an image showing the domain name listed in that directory but as I only have 4 images per post the forum won't let me.

So how do I remove it? I'm very wary of doing anything in the reg and am not even sure how to back it up - do I export as there is no 'save' option.

eltonzoto

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2013, 03:20:18 PM »
I deleted my entries without problem from Regedit. But before doing this, first make a backup (export) only to directory-key Zonemap. Or you can use Eusing Free Registry Cleaner 3.2: http://www.eusing.com/downloadfree/EFRCSetup.exe

There you can find an option at File/Backup Full Registry. 

stephenc

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2013, 05:40:54 PM »
I've deleted the entry but it has made no difference. The IP addresses with wildcard ** at the end are still there and still cannot be removed.

eltonzoto

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2013, 07:11:44 PM »
Hmmm! :(

Take a look on this site: http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/restricted.htm and try DelDomains.inf. I tested on my laptop, worked fine. In your case, maybe is better to do that job in Safe Mode.