Author Topic: Email Notifications  (Read 2215 times)

throckmorton

Email Notifications
« on: July 13, 2013, 06:15:09 PM »
I manage a network in which 35 of our workstations are running Avast Pro. We plan on upgrading to endpoint protection when our current licenses are going to expire, but that won't be for about 6 months, so I'm trying to find a way to manage all these workstations without a central console. One obstacle I'm encountering is that most of the users don't notify me when they get a virus/threat alert; they simply grumble about the popup window inconveniencing them and go back to work. Thus, I want to set up email notifications to alert me whenever a threat is detected. I set this up on one computer and tested it; it seems to work just fine (at least when I push the test button). The problem is that it doesn't give me any information about which computer the alert is coming from. Basically, if I set this up on all 35 workstations, all I could determine is that one of 35 machines had an alert. Short of using a separate email account to send from each station, are there any other ways to differentiate? Ideally, if I could simply add a line of text that got sent with the alert which contains the computer name, that would be awesome, but it doesn't seem to have this capability. I could, hypothetically create a separate exchange mailbox for every machine to send from, but this would be messy and cumbersome, and I would really rather find another way.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Email Notifications
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 06:18:37 PM »
I do not know if this will work... The winpopup option

throckmorton

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 06:30:06 PM »
I can't seem to get that to work at all. I tried entering my computername in both the \\computername and just plain computername formats. When that didn't work, I tried \\myIP and just myIP, and these didn't work either. Does this feature work at all? Or am I just doing something wrong?

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 06:46:53 PM »
I have no idea really as I never use that function being on a standalone system.  Maybe one of the others may know a way around it .. Sorry