Author Topic: How do you eliminate an AVAST web page on browser start up?  (Read 7773 times)

lebassiste

Weird....

Last update of AVAST Free has weird consequences:
When I start a new internet page with Google Chrome, I get my usual homepage but also I get this automatic web page on a second tab: http://www.avast.com/fr-ch/lp-welcome-online-security-full (it's French because I installed the French version of the software).
I tried to modify the homepage on start-up to no avail.

what could I do?

Aventador

Re: How do you eliminate an AVAST web page on browser start up?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 01:53:53 AM »
This is not an Avast problem. Its in your Chrome options. By default Chrome launches where you left off. If you simply go into Chrome settings/Open to a specific page or set of pages. Select what you want Chrome to open up to. Its that easy. If the first tab is your homepage then just close out the Avast page and then click "set pages".

lebassiste

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 02:19:11 AM »
thank you for your input.
I tried using your proposed solution and it did not work out. I tried all 3 different options in Google Chrome and each time, the AVAST "thank you" page appeared.
I'll try revrting back to Internet Explorer to see if the problem persists.
Thank you

Aventador

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 02:26:29 AM »
It will work. You clearly did not follow my instructions. Try this also. Go to Chrome tools/clear browser data. Select "since the beginning of time" option from the drop down menu. Now close out Chrome. Go back into Chrome. If you still have 2 tabs opening up one being that Avast page then simply close that tab. Now you should only see your home page tab (Yahoo for example). Be sure to select the option under the start up heading to "open to a specific page". Select the homepage that you want to appear and click "ok". Be sure that only the homepage you want is there. Again this is not an Avast issue but a Chrome issue. You can make your homepage anything you want if you just follow my suggestions. Thanks.

Offline tom.nash

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 08:05:20 PM »
Dear Avast,

I just downloaded the Premium version and fortunately I put it on a 30-day trial.  I DID NOT ask you to change my default browser, NOR DID I ASK you to launch a new Chrome tab every time I start Google Chrome.  You SHOULD ASK before making these kinds of changes to a user's computer.  I ASKED FOR A NEW ANTIVIRUS, I DID NOT ASK FOR A NEW BROWSER, NOR DID I ASK FOR A NEW STARTUP PAGE!

WTF is wrong with you people?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 08:25:51 PM »
Dear Avast,

I just downloaded the Premium version and fortunately I put it on a 30-day trial.  I DID NOT ask you to change my default browser, NOR DID I ASK you to launch a new Chrome tab every time I start Google Chrome.  You SHOULD ASK before making these kinds of changes to a user's computer.  I ASKED FOR A NEW ANTIVIRUS, I DID NOT ASK FOR A NEW BROWSER, NOR DID I ASK FOR A NEW STARTUP PAGE!

WTF is wrong with you people?

I have never experienced this on my Avast installation and for some time I never installed the Avast Secure Browser (I only use it for forum related questions).  What I do is when installing any program, I pay attention to the installation screens. 

As far as I'm aware there is an option (which is pre-checked) to install the Avast Secure Browser, so I guess you missed that, so you ended up with it installed and it has snowballed from there. 

I have never allowed Avast Secure Browser to run on startup nor as my default browser.  The Avast Secure Browser is a stand alone program, but when installed if Avast is also installed then there is some integration.

You can uninstall the Avast Secure Browser in the same way as any other program or right click on the Windows 10 program list and it can be uninstalled in that way also.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security