Author Topic: Setting the update time and interval  (Read 13576 times)

fmaxwell

Setting the update time and interval
« on: February 03, 2003, 11:31:27 PM »
I have recently upgraded from Avast! 3 to Avast! 4 Home Edition and cannot find out how to set the update interval and time.  Previously, I would have Avast! 3 check for updates at 5:00AM each day.  This kept the update from being interfered with or with happening while I was using the PC.

How do I do this in Avast! 4?  What is the default update interval and time?

Pavel Baudis

Re:Setting the update time and interval
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2003, 10:43:07 AM »
I would have Avast! 3 check for updates at 5:00AM each day.  This kept the update from being interfered with or with happening while I was using the PC.

How do I do this in Avast! 4?  What is the default update interval and time?
The whole update concept is changed in the new version - many people did not update at all, so their antivirus did not work as well as expected.

In the version 4 there are three scenarios to update:
  • automatically
  • ask when update is available
  • manual
The default values is automatically for database updates and ask when update is available for program updates - you can change it if you wish.

The checking for updates is done whenever the computer is connected to the Internet and then every four hours. This guarantees that all users are up to date at least after 4 hours of connection.

If you wish to have control over the updates, you can change both values to ask when update is available - there is a small blue window informing about new version when there is an update. Or - you can do this all by yourself - by checking for the updates either from the program menu or from the avast icon ibn the systray.

Hope this helps!