Author Topic: Strange prob. with cable & Avast ?!?!?  (Read 13436 times)

neal62

Re: Strange prob. with cable & Avast ?!?!?
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2005, 06:22:54 AM »
Not a problem. If a infection gets into the system restore system it usually cannot be removed by a anti-virus program or other types of spyware programs as they are protected by the restore sytem itself. I am not good at making backups for my system but there are programs that allow one to do that.
    By purging a possible infection out of the restore system and then closing restore down you are then pretty much assured that if your pc contracts another type of infection that various programs ex: antispyware, Avast, and others would be able to find it and remove it from the system without worrying about that infection reappearing from the restore files after removing the infection from the rest of your pc. If the infection is contained in the restore system it will keep reappearing after you have removed it from the rest of the pc.
   Hopefully there are others here that can give you more detailed instructions, links, examples of how to back up your HD information.

DukeNukem

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2005, 01:13:12 PM »
On my modem the light does blink when it is trying to establish a connection. It is constant green when it has established a connection that is capable of sending and receiving. My ISP said that they could tell my CPU was connected to their system  but that they could not receive a response back from my CPU. (basically that I was connecting but my "signal" was not getting back to them.) Therefore they are blaming the line. However, if the line was the problem then it would be "bad" going both ways .....not just one.

The cable modem has two signals.

Downstream signal
Upstream signal

If you modem is having trouble connecting to thier DHCP server then the upstream signal is most likely to be the cause. So it can be a one way problem.

Did tech support ask you to type 192.168.100.1 in your web browser and confirm if the

downstream power level
signal to noise ratio

upstream power level

are within range?

Also check you modem log, look for all critical errors?

yfz450man

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2005, 01:28:50 AM »
Not a problem. If a infection gets into the system restore system it usually cannot be removed by a anti-virus program or other types of spyware programs as they are protected by the restore sytem itself. I am not good at making backups for my system but there are programs that allow one to do that.
    By purging a possible infection out of the restore system and then closing restore down you are then pretty much assured that if your pc contracts another type of infection that various programs ex: antispyware, Avast, and others would be able to find it and remove it from the system without worrying about that infection reappearing from the restore files after removing the infection from the rest of your pc. If the infection is contained in the restore system it will keep reappearing after you have removed it from the rest of the pc.
   Hopefully there are others here that can give you more detailed instructions, links, examples of how to back up your HD information.
  Thanks ...I will do this right away. You helped me to understand this a little better.

yfz450man

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2005, 01:31:17 AM »
On my modem the light does blink when it is trying to establish a connection. It is constant green when it has established a connection that is capable of sending and receiving. My ISP said that they could tell my CPU was connected to their system  but that they could not receive a response back from my CPU. (basically that I was connecting but my "signal" was not getting back to them.) Therefore they are blaming the line. However, if the line was the problem then it would be "bad" going both ways .....not just one.

The cable modem has two signals.

Downstream signal
Upstream signal

If you modem is having trouble connecting to thier DHCP server then the upstream signal is most likely to be the cause. So it can be a one way problem.

Did tech support ask you to type 192.168.100.1 in your web browser and confirm if the

downstream power level
signal to noise ratio

upstream power level

are within range?

Also check you modem log, look for all critical errors?
  No they did not do that. He was wanting me to call back when everything is working OK to do "some checking" on the signal when it is working.  Maybe that is what he wanted to do? I have not called him back but if you think I should I will.
 Also how do I look up my modem log for errors?

DukeNukem

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2005, 11:39:43 AM »
u type

in your web browser

Acid

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2005, 04:43:34 PM »
At around 8pm every night, everybody and his brother -- at least most of the people who are connected to your branch of the cable tree -- is beginning to surf the Internet.  The circuit gets overloaded.  That's one of the main disadvantages of Internet cable access over DSL.  Neither Avast, your firewall, nor your router is contributing to the problem. 

The message that you are receiving recommending that you go to dial-up is being generated by your router software because cable access is unavailable.  Call your cable company to complain.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2005, 10:15:17 PM »
I've had cable access for years and haven't ever see that message.
Since when is DSl faster than Cable?
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

kamulko

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2005, 10:54:30 PM »
Acid is right: my new D-Link router supports 1 telephone and 1 internet connection over DSL, and my localhost is 192.168.x.x but en external observer can see the ISP number. Nothing of strange.
Concerning the speed: today i'm tryng Kerio Personal Firewall instead of my beloved McAfee and I see that my speed is very slow: this means that software is an important thing.  Plus: if we activate the onboard  router firewall, I surf  less speedy than with only the software firewall.