Author Topic: E-Mail and Virus Chest, Etc.  (Read 2329 times)

PamJ

E-Mail and Virus Chest, Etc.
« on: July 15, 2013, 05:57:33 PM »
Today, the first time since I started using avast! (years and year ago!), it stopped an email and said it put it in the virus chest. I'm sure it's just the attachment that was put in the virus chest since that's the problem it detected, but is the actual e-mail usually moved to the chest as well? The e-mail is still showing in my 2003 Outlook Inbox. I have to click on it to delete it, and even though this may sound stupid, I'm concerned about clicking on it to delete it!

The name the chest lists is DOC_pam dot zip.

Is it okay to click on the e-mail so I can delete it or is there something else I should do that I'm not aware of? (Again, sounds like a silly question, I know.)

Thanks, avast! for protecting my computer!! It's stopped several accesses to suspect websites, but this is the first e-mail problem I've had. And of course avast! caught it!

Pam

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: E-Mail and Virus Chest, Etc.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 06:04:32 PM »
The name the chest lists is DOC_pam dot zip.
what malware name does avast give?

is the mail from somone you know?

Is it okay to click on the e-mail so I can delete it or is there something else I should do that I'm not aware of? (Again, sounds like a silly question, I know.)
yes

PamJ

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 06:25:38 PM »
Pondus, it's apparently from someone at Wells Fargo. I don't have any financial ties with them at all, which is why I believe it's a true threat even though avast! I believe lists it as suspect (or does avast! list everything that way?).

The subject line of the e-mail is "***VIRUS***IMPORTANT Documents - WellsFargo" I'm assuming avast! put the VIRUS notation in there?

It's Win32:Evo-gen [Susp]

Thanks!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 06:40:12 PM »
well it may be one of these you got

Fake wells fargo mail.   
http://www.technology.pitt.edu/2013-06-18-phish.html
http://blog.dynamoo.com/2013/06/wells-fargo-spam-important-wellsfargo.html

new fake mails from UPS / Fedex / DHL  ....and others arrive every day