Author Topic: AdwCleaner FPs  (Read 16710 times)

iroc9555

Re: AdwCleaner FPs
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2013, 01:08:27 AM »
...I sent an email to Bill P. to see what the consequence would be.

Install mate is recreated again after rebooting without problems to WinPatrol. Confirmed. It happened to me too :(.

Like polonus said AdwCleaner must be run under guidance or at least just for scan and not delete.

Well, I tried to uninstall WinPatrol to install clean the new version 28.5.2013, and a window popup saying that setup.dat in Installmate folder was missing and could not continue. so, even if the folder recreates that files does not.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2013, 01:35:05 AM »
The uninstall utility is here if you would like to download it. http://www.winpatrol.com/download.html

At least we now know.

iroc9555

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2013, 01:38:27 AM »
The uninstall utility is here if you would like to download it. http://www.winpatrol.com/download.html

At least we now know.

I know about it ;) Thanks anyway.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2013, 02:48:47 AM »
<snip quotes>

Well, I tried to uninstall WinPatrol to install clean the new version 28.5.2013, and a window popup saying that setup.dat in Installmate folder was missing and could not continue. so, even if the folder recreates that files does not.

Personally I have never bothered to uninstall WinPatrol Plus on either of my systems, I just download the new setup file wpsetup.exe and install over the top, never had an issue doing it that way.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

iroc9555

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2013, 03:51:12 AM »
Hi DavidR

I usually install new upgrades on top too, but since Bill's e-mail stated that

The files in this folder are required for a clean update or removal
of the above product. Please do not delete them.

I wanted to try if anything went wrong after AdwCleaner eliminated the InstallMate folder.

BillPStudios

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2013, 08:23:58 AM »
Thanks to everyone for their kind works and Iroc for the help.

In the past, the Installmate just included a required setup file in the WinPatrol folder.  The current version no longer does this which is probably required due to changes in Windows.  I suspect they can't store data in a folder they don't own. Even future versions of WinPatrol will be moving data to ProgramData or other User sub folders.

I don't understand why any cleaner program would remove this folder. If any other programs user Installmate they'll no longer be able to use the standard Uninstaller that is set in the Control Panel Add/Remove Uninstall applet.

I do have a WinPatrolRemove program created to remove everything but it does not know of the Installmate folder yet so it won't remove it until it's updated. I would like to see these programs make it an option.  We had a similar experience with CCleaner and I was happy to share what our files did and they now provide a WinPatrol specific option.

Bill

Corrine (MVP)

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2013, 04:25:30 PM »
I haven't heard from Xplode yet but Thisisu responded that as of JRT v5.1.1 the InstallMate folder will no longer be removed by the Junkware Removal Tool.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2013, 06:06:53 PM »
As for AdwCleaner, I didn't allow Installmate to be deleted and from now on will only use AdwCleaner for information only until I research each find then I will manually delete these files.

I don't feel like, because AdwCleaner had a few false positives, that it is considered an advanced user program or guidance is needed. If ccleaner, or avast's browser cleanup, or Malwarebytes had a few false positives, would each now turn into programs used under supervision only?

It is distributed at Download.com, Softpedia and Bleeping Computers and neither the developer's comments or the comments by the evaluators give any warning about using this program under supervision.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 07:02:53 PM by Charyb »

iroc9555

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2013, 10:05:15 PM »
Hi Bill, Corrine.

Thank you for taking the time to answer here and to write to Xplote. Hopefully they will whitelist the Installmate folder like Junkware Removal Tool (JRT) by Thisisu did.

Thanks again.

Corrine (MVP)

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2013, 03:16:56 PM »
XPlode responded that he will remove InstallMate from AdwCleaner in the next update.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2013, 05:15:02 PM »
XPlode responded that he will remove InstallMate from AdwCleaner in the next update.

Thanks for the update.

Corrine,
I assume this is you? -> -http://securitygarden.blogspot.com/2013/07/winpatrol-28520130-released.html

Corrine (MVP)

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2013, 06:50:31 PM »
Yes, Charyb, that's my blog.