Author Topic: Internet Mail Provider Problem after Update  (Read 10948 times)

Athene

Internet Mail Provider Problem after Update
« on: April 24, 2005, 11:47:51 PM »
Hello all...

After the update to 4.6.652, everything was working fine. Today I have to manually start the internet mail provider (stop the provider, use on-access control, start it and then it is ok)
I do not have to power off for 4-5 minutes for it to take effect--it does start running immediately.
A repair did not work...

Should I go ahead a do another install, or is there a simple solution that I am overlooking?
I ask about a simple solution because I don't want to go through the same mess as before when I had problems with the internet mail provider...

Thank you,
Annie

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Internet Mail Provider Problem after Update
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 11:34:47 AM »
And why did you have to stop & start Internet Mail ?

Athene

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 01:52:15 PM »
Greetings, vojtech...
Because it did not start automatically. After the last problem I had with the internet mail provider, I have the habit of making sure all providers are working before I go online. (Hovering over the a icon to make sure there are 5 of the 8 providers running--I do not use P2P, Instant Messaging, or Outlook).
This problem occurs only with internet mail provider, the others start automatically...

Again this morning, I had to start it manually. And I usually wait 4-5 minutes to make sure that all programs are loaded before I open IE.

Annie

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 05:13:37 PM »
So the Internet Mail was 'waiting for a subsystem to start' ?

Athene

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005, 02:36:06 PM »
So the Internet Mail was 'waiting for a subsystem to start' ?

No...
Again this morning I had to stop the internet mail provider, then manually start it from On-Access Protection Control. It started with "waiting for a subsystem to start" then, within a few seconds, the provider is currently running.

Annie

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005, 02:55:43 PM »
And what is the status of Internet Mail after restart ?

Athene

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2005, 11:54:29 AM »
As long as I manually start the internet mail provider, it runs. It does not start automatically...

Annie

again, a repair does not resolve the problem.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2005, 02:17:00 PM »
As long as I manually start the internet mail provider, it runs. It does not start automatically...
But when you open Outlook Express, for instance, does the provider start to run?
The best things in life are free.

Walker

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005, 12:54:47 AM »
Athene,

Is this the same problem as before?... ie the problem that Vojtech resolved with a patch.

If so, perhaps you should ask Vojtech if the previous patch was incorporated into the updated version of Avast!.

If not, updating may have overwritten that patch/fix.

Good luck
W.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2005, 03:26:07 AM »
Athene, follow Walker's wisdom  8)
Good to see you round here. Hope everything is fine with you and your wife  :)

Walker

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2005, 03:37:29 AM »
Good to see you round here. Hope everything is fine with you and your wife  :)

Thank you Technical.

I hope everything is well with you too and I remember your mother with my best wishes.

W.

Athene

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2005, 02:36:05 PM »
Walker and Technical, thank you for your replies...

Walker, the problem is not the same. I can manually start the internet mail provider--I must stop it then use On-Access Protection Control to start it. Within a few seconds, it goes from "waiting for a subsystem to start" to the provider is currently running. I do not have to power down for it to start.

Technical, it will not start when I open Outlook Express unless I have manually started it.

For right now, all I care about is being able to safely do personal business online.
My grandfather died yesterday...last week, my father's favorite Aunt Polly died. That's three deaths in the family in a very short time.
So all I really care about is being protected when I need to do any transactions online.  I'll addresss the mail provider problem later...

Annie

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2005, 02:46:37 PM »
For right now, all I care about is being able to safely do personal business online.
My grandfather died yesterday...last week, my father's favorite Aunt Polly died. That's three deaths in the family in a very short time.
So all I really care about is being protected when I need to do any transactions online.  I'll addresss the mail provider problem later... Annie

So sad  :'(  :'(
Your mother talk me about aunt Polly a long time ago. She admired him very much.
What can we say about computers when real life come so deep hard  :-[ :-\

About avast!, most probably the new update messed everything again in your system.
I can't imagine what is happening as I never had this trouble. For me avast! worked every time since from the beginning  :-[

Athene

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2005, 03:07:25 PM »
Thank you, Technical...

It will all work out. It's just easier now to let things go until my heart hurts less.
But I still have trust in Avast! protecting my computer and that is a relief.
Strange, but it took me this long to realize this is my computer, and to stop thinking of it as my mother's.

Sorry, I got too Off Topic...

Annie

Walker

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2005, 03:32:55 PM »
Walker, the problem is not the same.

Athene,

I am sorry to hear about your sad news. My best wishes to you and your family.

I understand that there are subtle differences, but it is very similar to your previous problem and because the underlying cause was never found it may well be related.

I assume your machine ran ok after Vojtech's patch. I also assume that you still have the extra ashMaiSv entries stuck in the registry. This is what confused Avast!’s provider startup the previous time and I am guessing it may be again… albeit with a little different behaviour.

Check with Voj and ask him if you should run that patch again with this new Avast! version.

W.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2005, 03:47:47 PM by Walker »