Author Topic: Internet Mail Provider Problem after Update  (Read 10976 times)

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Internet Mail Provider Problem after Update
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2005, 05:21:32 PM »
The patch was incorporated into the new version.

I still don't know what is the status of Internet Mail after restart. When you click on the "a"-icon in taskbar and select Internet Mail, do you see 'No task is currently using this provider' or 'The provider is waiting for a subsystem to start' or something else ?

Athene

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2005, 09:33:49 PM »
vojtech,
the message is "no task is currently using this provider" so I start it. It changes to "waiting for a subsystem to start" then within a few seconds it changes to "the provider is currently running." It still does not start automatically.
When I click on the a icon beofre going online, it is not running. So I stop the internet mail provider, "no" to persist changes, then go to On Access Protection Control and start it--persisting the changes.

Annie
I tried another repair while online and it did not correct the problem.

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2005, 12:00:31 PM »
I'm confused by your description, how can you stop the Internet Mail provider when it is not running ?
And what is the difference in behaviour whether you are online or offline ?

Athene

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2005, 01:10:44 PM »
After I turn on the computer and let my programs load, I check to see what providers are running. It shows 4 of 8 running--I do not use P2P, Instant Messaging, or Outlook as I use Outlook Express.
If I immediately go to On-Access Protection Control, the internet mail provider is grayed out so I have to "stop" the provider, say no to persist the changes, then go to the On-Access Control. It shows "no task is currently using this provider" so I start the provider...I'm asked if I want to persist the change, I click on yes, then the internet mail provider goes from "waiting for a subsystem to start" to "the provider is currently running" within a few seconds.
If I do not start the mail provider manually, it does not  automatically start if I open OE.
Again this morning, I had to start it myself. Another attempt at a repair (while online) did not work.

Annie
I do not go online until I have the mail provider working. I did once but it did not start automatically--that is why I check it and start the mail provider before going online.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 01:16:03 PM by Athene »

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2005, 05:24:07 PM »
And what is the provider's status before you stop it ?

Athene

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2005, 01:20:41 PM »
"no task is currently using this provider"

it does not start if I open OE--the internet mail provider must be started manually as described in my previous post.

Annie

Athene

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2005, 03:59:34 AM »
OK, I give up...
As long as I can manually start the darn thing, I'll use Avast! and If I can't start it then I'll remove it and try some other program.
My mother paid for this and there is still several months left, but it's just not worth the hassle.

Thank you to those who tried to help. I appreciate it.

Annie

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2005, 04:05:02 AM »
OK, I give up...
Annie, I was reading since from the beginning but I can't know more than vojtech and even he can't be able to solve this.
It's a pity... I hope you do not get away from forums too...  :-\ :'(
The weird thing for me is that I never had a single problem with the providers startup like you...  :-[
The best things in life are free.

Athene

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2005, 04:14:58 AM »
Thank you, Technical. You have been a gentleman and a great help to me and I appreciate it.

Best Wishes,
Annie