Author Topic: stupid question  (Read 7225 times)

mantra

stupid question
« on: September 25, 2003, 08:50:23 AM »
why does avast resident shield need 21mb of virutual memory to work?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:stupid question
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2003, 04:54:07 AM »
why does avast resident shield need 21mb of virutual memory to work?

Hey avast! team. Please, an stupid answer for this stupid question  ;D
Each new version, the residents are eating more and more RAM.  :(
The best things in life are free.

techie101

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2003, 05:23:07 AM »
Hey guys!

You both have been on the board a long time now and know the answer to that question.
There has been more lines on the forum regarding this subject than I care to read.

Avast does use more memory to do what it does than other competitors use, but Avast does it better for that reason.
A lot is going on when Avast is running, but it does not "hold" the memory longer than necessary.

In order to have a more reliable scanning engine, the memory had to be used.  The alternative was to structure the scan differently which would have used less, but would not have been as reliable.

Memory or Reliability?  The Avast team choose reliability and they have my vote for doing it.  My system doesn't feel the 21mb usage, so why should I worry about it.

I have the best protection available for the price.

Please, lets not start this memory thing again!

Take care.
 ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2003, 05:34:05 AM »
Hey guys!
You both have been on the board a long time now and know the answer to that question. There has been more lines on the forum regarding this subject than I care to read.
Avast does use more memory to do what it does than other competitors use, but Avast does it better for that reason.
A lot is going on when Avast is running, but it does not "hold" the memory longer than necessary.
In order to have a more reliable scanning engine, the memory had to be used.  The alternative was to structure the scan differently which would have used less, but would not have been as reliable.
Memory or Reliability?  The Avast team choose reliability and they have my vote for doing it.  My system doesn't feel the 21mb usage, so why should I worry about it.
I have the best protection available for the price.
Please, lets not start this memory thing again!
Take care.
 ;D

Thanks techie101. I agree with you but, why not have reliability and memory...  ;D
I agree, if mantra do not worry too much, let´s forget memory by now  ;)

mantra

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2003, 02:09:16 PM »
it was a tecnical question......

what does avast save in the 20 mb of virtual ram?

and for  which kind of actions it uses this portion of memory?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2003, 03:15:46 AM »
it was a tecnical question......

what does avast save in the 20 mb of virtual ram?

and for  which kind of actions it uses this portion of memory?

Hey Vlk, mantra´s question remains...  8)

Jarron

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2003, 05:46:40 AM »
I suspect the avast team deserves a rest, it is the weekend and it seems they put in long hours just with this forum.  Give them a call 5:00 Monday morning, I'll see if I can find their home numbers.

By the way I do want an antivirus that uses NO system resources, catches 100% of all viruses, worms and trojans with NO false positives, and that's not only free but I get paid to use it.  It also wouldn't have a forum like this because there would NEVER be any bugs, and all our suggestions would be implemented before we ever even thought of them.

Oh yes, I almost forgot; it should get rid of all spam before I ever see it too, again with NO false positives.

Jarron
  ;)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2003, 01:41:48 PM »
Jarron, good point ;)

It has been said multiple times that avast 4.x uses roughly 13-14 megs of RAM (try searching the forum with the "Mem Usage" keyword, choose to search even topics older than 60 days ).

If you want, I can post a memory dump of this 13-14megs and explain each block's meaning (such as engine data, VRDB data, Virus chest data, ODBC data, code etc etc.). So you can see which component is taking much.

And NO, I don't think that with every update, avast is taking more and more memory. That is not true, really.

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2003, 02:08:55 PM »
I suspect the avast team deserves a rest, it is the weekend and it seems they put in long hours just with this forum.  Give them a call 5:00 Monday morning, I'll see if I can find their home numbers.

By the way I do want an antivirus that uses NO system resources, catches 100% of all viruses, worms and trojans with NO false positives, and that's not only free but I get paid to use it.  It also wouldn't have a forum like this because there would NEVER be any bugs, and all our suggestions would be implemented before we ever even thought of them.

Oh yes, I almost forgot; it should get rid of all spam before I ever see it too, again with NO false positives.

Jarron
  ;)

Please, Jarron...
I just suggest respect to the older users of this forum  ;D
Your point of view is know by all the others... We´re trying to improve avast! not live with criticism  8)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2003, 02:12:12 PM »
If you want, I can post a memory dump of this 13-14megs and explain each block's meaning (such as engine data, VRDB data, Virus chest data, ODBC data, code etc etc.). So you can see which component is taking much.

Mantra has to say something...

And NO, I don't think that with every update, avast is taking more and more memory. That is not true, really.
Vlk

I believe you. Maybe mantra is talking about the new modules  ;)