Author Topic: Couple of Problems:Wb shield & E-mail  (Read 10197 times)

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
Couple of Problems:Wb shield & E-mail
« on: April 25, 2005, 06:23:28 PM »
1. Since the 19th ( 7 days ago) I haven't had the" clean note message " at the bottom of my recieved E-mails in Outlook Express. I've checked all settings in Avast! Internet mail provider, and Outlook express. I've  tried "repair" Avast! ; add / Remove programs also.
 Funnily just before posting this I re-checked and recieved 1. email. It had the note  :D
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

avast! Antivirus: Inbound message clean.

Virus Database (VPS): 0516-8, 24/04/2005
Tested on: 25/04/2005 6:01:50 PM
avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2004 ALWIL Software.

Hopefully this will be the case from now on.  ???

2. Ever since the introduction of V 4.6 Home Edition I've noted that it isn't scanning any files. I'm using Win 98 SE.
Settings: BASIC Tab.
Enable Web Scanning . ON
Use intelligent stream scanning . ON

WEB SCANNING TAB:Scan all files. ON

TABS.
EXCEPTIONS: No URL's excluded. Mime type defaults.
URL BLOCKING :  Not checked.
ADVANCED : Not checked. (Show detailed info..../ Silent mode)

As you can see no files have been scanned after 2hours online. (sorry about the Image quality)
I have no explanation for Both issues .
Any ideas anyone ?

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
Re: Couple of Problems:Wb shield & E-mail
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 08:53:44 AM »
I'm not getting:avast! Antivirus: Inbound message clean.
I've restored OutLook Express settings back to a few weeks back. I hope this will remedy the problem. It's a great feature to have that note in outbound messages, so the recipient can feel safe about recieving your emails.

As far as the Web Shield I suppose i'll do some reading up on it here @ the forum. Maybe it's not functional with Win 98 se?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 02:48:57 PM »
As far as the Web Shield I suppose i'll do some reading up on it here @ the forum. Maybe it's not functional with Win 98 se?

With win98 your have to set-up web shield manually - see the avast help file, resident protection, web shield.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 03:27:50 PM »
I'm not getting:avast! Antivirus: Inbound message clean.
I've restored OutLook Express settings back to a few weeks back. I hope this will remedy the problem. It's a great feature to have that note in outbound messages, so the recipient can feel safe about recieving your emails.
Can you check your settings against the avast4.ini file thread? (click Settings in my signature).
There is some special tricks to some systems (specially Win98) to insert this notes.
But, where are you checking you don't have the clean messages? Into your 'Sent items' box?
If you send an email to yourself, do you see any clean message?
I suppose you've checked the options into avast! provider settings to really insert a clean note...

It works with Windows 98, just need manual setting as David said...
The best things in life are free.

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 04:43:43 PM »
DavidR :
With win98 your have to set-up web shield manually - see the avast help file, resident protection, web shield.

Thanks, shall do.
Technical :
Can you check your settings against the avast4.ini file thread? (click Settings in my signature).
There is some special tricks to some systems (specially Win98) to insert this notes.
O.K. I'll check it out.
But, where are you checking you don't have the clean messages? Into your 'Sent items' box?
I'm looking at messages in my 'InBox'. They used to have the note inserted at the bottom of each incoming message.
I suppose you've checked the options into avast! provider settings to really insert a clean note...
Yes, that was the first thing I did.
If you send an email to yourself, do you see any clean message?
That's a good idea. Initially I sent an E-mail to a friend, and checked it, but then I realised as they have Avast! all I'm seeing is 'their' Avast! clean scan  message. :-[
Thanks guy's for steering me in the right direction, half the problem is knowing were to look for the settings and info.
-Kind Regards,
Tony.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2005, 10:41:14 PM »
I'm looking at messages in my 'InBox'. They used to have the note inserted at the bottom of each incoming message.
Tony, they should have a note.
On the 'Sent items' not, the email is sent there (moved from inbox) and the note is not added (this is by design).

Which is your ISP?
Do you check both HTML and TEXT emails?

dragongild

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2005, 05:41:55 AM »
I'm having a different problem with Web Shield and e-mail.  Since the last update, I am unable to access HTTP e-mail servers (e.g., Hotmail accounts) through Outlook Express if Web Shield is running.   :(

Additionally, pausing the Web Shield service doesn't resolve the issue.  Accounts will only synchronize fully if the On-Access virus protection is stopped entirely.

Software versions:  Outlook Express version: 6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) running on Windows XP SP2.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2005, 02:52:34 PM »
Dragongild, this seems to be related more with firewall issues (not allowing to connect) than to avast! itself.

Into the firewall settings, the following programs should be allowed to connect:

ashServ.exe (avast! antivirus service)
ashWebSv.exe (avast! Web Scanner)
ashMaiSv.exe (avast! e-Mail Scanner Service)
ashUpdSv.exe (avast! Update Service)
avast.setup (avast! Update executable)

dragongild

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005, 02:25:49 AM »
I'm pretty sure that the problem is Avast.

I've been using this configuration for a while now and everything worked until the Avast update on April 19th.  After your suggestion, I tried turning off the firewall just to verify, but turning off the firewall had no effect upon the issue.

Everything works OK if I leave the firewall ON and turn Avast OFF.

I'm going to run some netmon captures and see if I can figure out exactly what is getting blocked.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2005, 03:21:05 AM »
I'm going to run some netmon captures and see if I can figure out exactly what is getting blocked.
It will help I hope...
Similar problem here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=13120.0
Maybe they post a solution there  :-\

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2005, 09:21:41 AM »
On the 'Sent items' not, the email is sent there (moved from inbox) and the note is not added (this is by design).

Which is your ISP?
Do you check both HTML and TEXT emails?

I'm not quite sure what you mean Technical ? I suppose you mean mail I've sent "Sent /or -Outgoing" mail ? and not the mail in the 'sent mail box' ?

Hi , yeh I have all the outbound, and inbound E-mail carrying "clean Messages" now. I'm using 56kb Dial up. It seemed to be related to My Outlook Express settings as with my Internet provider I have a program which tests and stores all connection settings. I can restore these to a previous time , which I did and this has restored the clean messages.
 Also I checked the "show detailed info on performed action " in the Resident scanner / Internet mail / Advanced tab. This shows me that the Incoming mail is being scanned. It may not be related to fixing the problemthough. ??? Sorry I can't be more specific as to the "cause"; and fix,  but it's working now . :)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2005, 09:34:42 AM by Abraxas »

dragongild

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2005, 07:03:46 AM »
I ran some NetMon captures and there is definitely something going on, though I haven't pinned it down yet.

When Avast is running, I'm getting an inbound packet with a connection reset flag that I don't get when Avast is not running.  That's when everything dies.  One of the things that I noticed is that right before that packet, I get one with an MSS=537, making me think that Avast possibly has some kind of problem with certain packets when the MTU is set above 576?

I'm tired.  I'll look at it more tomorrow.

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2005, 02:31:39 PM »
  :)  DavidR
Great the web shield is working.  :)
dragongild
One of the things that I noticed is that right before that packet, I get one with an MSS=537, making me think that Avast possibly has some kind of problem with certain packets when the MTU is set above 576?

I'm tired.  I'll look at it more tomorrow.

Hmm ???  Goodluck. I'd be interested to hear further on the results of your trouble shooting.