Author Topic: inactive providers after install  (Read 5808 times)

rij73

inactive providers after install
« on: April 25, 2005, 11:19:09 PM »
Hey there,

Just installed Avast on my XP computer, and several the Web Shield, Internet Mail, and Outlook providers all won't start. Says they are saiting for a subsystem to start. I want all three running. I do use Outlook 2003... When I tried to start Outlook after install, it just hanged. So, I quit the process. When I started again, it asked to disable the Avast plugin.

Help!

I used to use Avast before, but removed it because the shutdown problems were annoying. Never found as good a replacement, though, so I would like to use it again if I can get it working...

rij73

Re: inactive providers after install
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 11:57:56 PM »
After a while, I checked again and the Internet Mail and Web Shield providers were running. I re-enabled the Avast Outlook add-in and restarted Outlook, and that worked too.

Then, I restarted the computer, and now back to the original problem... So it's like those providers need to have the computer be on for a while to kick in. Not good. I get online the moment after my computer starts up.

Help?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 01:07:18 AM »
If you are only using MS Outlook, you need the Outlook/Exchange provider/plug-in enabled.

If you are not using Outlook Express, you don't need the Internet Mail provider enabled.

I think that there may be a conflict with both being enabled if one is not required.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

rij73

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 01:58:21 PM »
Thanks, I disabled Internet Mail, but still have the problem... Avast did find 3 viruses on my computer yesterday and successfully removed them, but I wonder if that's part of the problem?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005, 02:09:17 PM »
Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, avast! Anti-Virus, Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow. You need to be on-line to do this.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005, 02:17:26 PM »
I think that there may be a conflict with both being enabled if one is not required.
David, this conflic does not exist. I've tested all possibilities... There is not such a possibility of these two avast providers were the problem.
Maybe an old antivirus installation... Did you install any other antivirus application before avast?
Did you use any startup manager application (ad-watch, teatimer, prevx, processguard)?
The best things in life are free.

rij73

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2005, 02:20:41 PM »
The repair didn't help. Just restarted and the Web Shield is inactive... Outlook crashes on start unless I disable the Avast add-in. When I started up earlier today, Avast kicked in after the computer was on for about 30 minutes.

I have tried other antivirus programs, but all are uninstalled. I used to have something called Startup Delayer, but not anymore. I'm trying to streamline the computer and have removed anything unnecessary.

rij73

a clue...
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2005, 03:09:14 PM »
I went into services management and changed all avast services to automatic. Some were set to manual. Now, the Web Shield starts up on startup, but I'm still having Outlook problems.

Will Internet Mail protect Outlook at all? Or do I have to run the Outlook Addin to protect it... Cause I think Internet Mail is working correctly now too...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2005, 03:18:27 PM »
I have tried other antivirus programs, but all are uninstalled.
Well, maybe they were not correctly (fully) uninstalled... Was it Norton Antivirus?

I went into services management and changed all avast services to automatic. Some were set to manual.
This is not correct. avast! Mail Scanner should be started manually (not automatic).

Will Internet Mail protect Outlook at all? Or do I have to run the Outlook Addin to protect it... Cause I think Internet Mail is working correctly now too...
No, Internet Mail provider cannot protect MS Outlook (full, not OE). Outlook uses another way of processing and need the avast plugin for it.
The same occurs with AVG: there is a provider for Internet Mail and another for Outlook.

rij73

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2005, 03:24:31 PM »
Hi...

I did have Norton at one time, but I removed it following a bunch of instructions on the internet about deleting registry keys, etc.

I'll set the Avast mail service back to manual, but the Web Service is working only since I set it to automatic.

I'm worried now, cause when I was without protection for only one week, I got 3 viruses. I really want to be protected now, but this isn't working at all for Outlook... What can I try next?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2005, 03:34:21 PM »
What can I try next?
Can you uninstall / boot / install / boot again?
If you got anything wrong, can you post...
Let's start from the beggining, correcting any error that appears...

rij73

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2005, 03:41:48 PM »
ok I'll try that a little later... Have to do some work right now. I'll post back.

Thanks!