Author Topic: Eudora, either send or get, not both.  (Read 18448 times)

rmoody

Eudora, either send or get, not both.
« on: September 25, 2003, 09:32:43 AM »
I have a rather oddball situation with my email.  I just recently moved from Earthlink dialup to Comcast cable.  To be able to use my Earthlink email address I have to use smtpauth.earthlink.net for sending.  I set Avast and Eudora up as described in the help file using pop.earthlink.net as the default pop and smtpauth.earthlink.net as the default smtp server.  In Eudora, I tried two different login setups.  If I use uberwindin@earthlink.net#smtpauth.earthlink.net I can send email but not receive.  If I use uberwindin@earthlink.net#pop.earthlink.net I can receive but not send.  The main reason for the difficulty is because Earthlink refuses to allow mail to be sent from an IP address other than one of thier own.  I don't neccessarily disagree with this policy, but I would like to know if there is some workaround for this so that I can use Avast to catch all of these Swan emails I am getting.  I don't like having to click on the email before Avast actually scans it.  However, if this is not possible, I have set up a filter that will automatically call the command line Avast executible when there is an attatchment.  This may be my only usable course of action asside from dumping my Earthlink email addresses.  If anyone can help me solve this problem, I would apreciate it.

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Eudora, either send or get, not both.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2003, 04:50:23 PM »
Multiple SMTP servers cannot be used because Eudora doesn't allow to set SMTP username different from POP username and avast needs to incorporate POP server address into POP username and SMTP server address into SMTP username. You can use this workaround: http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/kb/2107hq.html

Neil

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2003, 11:20:06 PM »
I could be wrong but it sounds like a limitation of Eudora if you have to use one login for both sending and receiving.  

If you need only one pop server to receive from, and only one smtp server to send out through,  then don't name any server with the pound sign in the Eudora setup.  Just use your normal logon name and specify 127.0.0.1 as both the pop server and the smtp server.  Avast will contact the appropriate server for sending or receiving as specified in its INI file.

If that doesn't solve your problem, try a different mail client such as Pegasus or Thunderbird et al which allow separate login setups for pop servers and smtp servers.

jeds

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2003, 12:15:05 AM »
Multiple SMTP servers cannot be used because Eudora doesn't allow to set SMTP username different from POP username and avast needs to incorporate POP server address into POP username and SMTP server address into SMTP username. You can use this workaround: http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/kb/2107hq.html

::) Here's how I got Eudora 6 to work with Avast 4.0 (I think its working, eudora forgot one login pwd last use):
Added DefaultPopServer=pop-server.myISP.com
DefaultSmtpServer=smtp-server.myISP.com
and UseDefaultSmtp=1 (which is default I think)
to [MailScanner] section of avast4.ini

Account settings for all (8) email accounts have "Use relay personality..." checked,
      SMPT set to 127.0.0.1   and
      POP Server set to 192.168.0.1
      and the login name is appended : "#pop server address" or #mail server address" etc
(in the event the same server handles pop and smpt)

Most of this is found in Avast Help mail protection wizard >manual setting of mail protection
EXCEPT for using 192.168.0.1 for POP

The mail scanner is inserting its default message to my test emails. Sometimes when I check all accounts it gives an error on one or two, they usually work if I right click and check them individually.

As long as Eudora remembers all 8 passwords I will be happy - too much to type in, and you can't copy and paste (where is Technical's wish list now?)

JEDs 8)

doggeral

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2003, 07:21:58 AM »
If Avast can't answer, I can't buy the worthless POS software.  Even Norton will scan incomming email without having to hack the hell out of your system.  IGNORANCE

I'm sorry to the mods, but I've gotten bashed lately on my own messageboards.  And stuff like this irritates me.  I guess 24 hour round  the clock support is supposed to be implement because this user doesn't know how to search forums.   The ignorance is on this end.   No one is saying to kiss the butt of all the avast people around here, but jeez perhaps a little respect in the home forums instead of acting like you've got no home training.   Yet still people answer.   Impressive.   No relveance to the post, but just one irritated person who is wondering why he and others give software away for free and offer support.

jeds

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2003, 05:56:53 PM »
 :-[

Correction to my post above, for some reason I had to go and try setting the
POP Server to 127.0.0.1  , and it works. (never did before, but I have been wrong before ::)

Now I am off to see if the free version of Eudora has a great board like this one, cuz it keeps
forgetting my pwds.

Ditto to doggeral's last post.

JEDs

Offline briton

• Good 'ere innit!
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2003, 01:34:24 AM »
Wow! THANKS JEDs. You may have the answer to a maiden's prayer!

I can answer your last question though. There are Eudora boards around, but nothing like this and you will be answering a lot more questions than you get answered (IMHO).

But I am a Eudora freak as I have tried to get other programs to do what it does and they mostly will do, but nothing like as easily. (Try checking just one "Account" by a simple right click and hit the "M" key for instance).

However, I CANNOT do an avast! scan on POP3 incoming if I want to use a "Persona" which uses an authenticating SMTP. Why on earth my ISP's SMTP server needs to check my "Reply-To" address, I have no idea. However, it does. Which means that if I want to send mail from a "remote" domain name (for instance, my own domain name - well having unlimited email addresses chosen at my own whim, I would wouldn't I?  ;) ), then I have to use my own domain name's host's SMTP server. But to use that, I have to authenicate. IF I set avast! UseDefaultSMTP=0, that should not be a problem. But because of the restriction that Eudora imposes on login-names, if I set avast! to check POP mail, even if I set it NOT to check SMTP, my domain name host's SMTP server allows me in and then sends me an error message saying that the destination domain of the email is not allowed. If I create an identical Persona which has no reference to avast! (direct POP and SMTP), I can send out through that SMTP without problem.

Now I am using Eudora 5.2 (Sponsored Mode) simply because the version 6 What's New? did not show any reference to changes in the way we could configure individual Personae logins etc. I also have no "Relay" settings on the Personae and nothing in the full manual refers to them.

Are you saying that I will be able to do this by upgrading to Eudora 6 and then tweaking a bit? If so, I am home and dry (I don't have your problem of the passwords as I only tend to check one Persona at a time by the right-click method, but when I do get that problem, it is usually because a configuration setting has changed which inspires Eudora to ask for the password on the next check or send - not a bad idea when you think about it - and perhaps it is because you have set avast! to automatically configure your email settings, which I found is not so good with multiple Personae using multiple SMTP servers (which differ from their equibvalent POP servers)).

Anyway, while I wait and wonder and do further research, I will download and install Eudora 6 and do some tweaking. Any ideas on this would be GREATL APPRECIATED as I am having to restrict my use of my own domain email addresses until I can get avast! to scan them AND avoid having to switch Persona when I reply.
a problem is a solution in disguise....

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2003, 02:19:46 AM »
I'm a Eudora freak myself, and had no trouble setting up Avast even though it admittedly makes Eudora's setup options, especially the servers, look funny.

Eudora really only needs your login name, your POP server (in my case, simply my domain), and your SMTP server (smtp-dot-domain for me), and it in effect "fills in the blanks" itself from there.  With that as a starting point, the changes that Avast made to the server names worked just fine for me.

Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

jeds

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2003, 04:07:38 AM »
Briton, I'm afraid that Eudora 6 will still not answer your prayers. It does allow you to use a relay personality, which means my domain email is routed through my ISP. I use authentication on all accounts and it isn't a problem for me. Having unique reply-to addresses makes it appear to many that I am going through a domain mail server, but you and I would know better if we look at the header.

I haven't tried MikeBCda's idea, but Eudora is running very smooth this way so I am taking the lazy ignorant way out for now.

Cheers
 8)

Offline briton

• Good 'ere innit!
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2003, 05:00:39 PM »
MikeBDda - thanks for the point. Don't get me wrong - avast! works very well with Eudora and sets itself up beautifully. The problem I am referring to only applies if you are working different "persona" which require different SMTP servers and different POP servers where the login are different. Because Eudora (and Outlook and Outlook Express - trust me, I tried them) don't allow you to put discreet login details for each persona/account (i.e. for each account, four separate groups of information - SMTP server, POP server, SMTP login, POP login), avast! can't be sent the information in the login#account@ strings. Therefore, if 127.0.0.1 is used as SMTP, avast! attempts to do something the SMTP server will reject. NOT avast!'s fault really, although I think it COULD be done by allowing all this information to be put into the manual configuration sequence (now WHERE is that WISHLIST and how on earth to set out the details of this?  :'( Any moderator help iron this out so that we can get it on the wishlist?)

Thanks JEDs - I WILL upgrade Eudora (download completed) when I get a space. In the meantime, I am simply avoiding avast! for outgoing emails from the remote domain and have a duplicate persona for incoming mail (as I said - have to change the persona if I reply until I find a way round this).

One thing I am trying to avoid is to have an email address in the headers which is on a different domain. Hence avoiding the Relay. But I will try it and test to see how it goes.

Btw - not lazy or ignorant - just a "sensible utilization of metaphysical resources and time" as the man said lol  ::)

Pavel Baudis

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2003, 05:06:39 PM »
Because Eudora (and Outlook and Outlook Express - trust me, I tried them) don't allow you to put discreet login details for each persona/account (i.e. for each account, four separate groups of information - SMTP server, POP server, SMTP login, POP login), avast! can't be sent the information in the login#account@ strings.

But Eudora does alow this! If you press Alt-Enter on any personality, you can set its details - SMTP on the first page and POP on the other...

Pavel

Offline briton

• Good 'ere innit!
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2003, 05:22:20 PM »
Oops! Sorry Pavel - quite right. Glad you caught it so quickly. Of course, if it didn't allow that, then I wouldn't be able to check and send on each and every persona/account.

BUT in that case, are you saying that you have managed to get avast! to work with all those multiple combinations without using JEDs "Relay" solution? If so, please fess up! lol

If I can get one persona working that way, I can simply run through my eudora.ini file (backed up and with Eudora closed of course) and repeat the process on all the other persona.

And you'll be a hero - a lot of Eudora users seem to use it because, like me, they love being able to manipulate these things themselves without the software forcing them to restrict themselves to what the wizard's do. So I guess there are a lot of us out here who will thank you.

jeds

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2003, 06:33:17 PM »
Pardon me if I get  ??? as I have left this alone for a while and I forget easy.

But I think that because Eudora (6 anyways, and 4 as I remember) needs a dominant persona, and the POP/SMTP info put into the dominant persona properties page will also change that info in the tools > options section. I believe Eudora will use the dominant info for all persona unless you go in and change the dominant info when checking a different account.

I may be in a state of further confusion due to my machine being a client on a Wingate network (which is where the 192.168.0.1 came from?)

If I reach waaaay back it seems Outlook Express did not have this problem, but I switched to Eudora for easy archiving.

And Oy, drat drat drat, since I posted here yesterday the pwds are a prob Again!

So much for blissful ignorance.

Briton, if you figure this out I will be back to copy it.

BTW, I once thought I had the pwd prob licked by changing UseDefaultSmtp=1 to 0 in avast4.ini file, but it would change itself back to 1.

JEDs
not so  8)

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2003, 07:43:41 PM »
Sorry if I'm wrong on this, since I only played with Eudora's personas (personae?) once, back when I signed up with a second ISP when it looked like my "old reliable" might be teetering on the edge of going under.  (I'm using Eudora 6 by the way, but I think the following is also true for several versions back.)

Obviously if you don't set up any more personas, then all you've got is the "dominant" ("default" would have made more sense to me, but then who am I?  ;) ), with its tools/ options settings.

But if I remember correctly, each additional persona gets a more or less complete, and independent, set of options to itself.  So it's a fairly close cousin to having multiple users in Windows itself.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline briton

• Good 'ere innit!
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2003, 09:09:41 PM »
Pardon me if I get  ??? as I have left this alone for a while and I forget easy.

But I think that because Eudora (6 anyways, and 4 as I remember) needs a dominant persona, and the POP/SMTP info put into the dominant persona properties page will also change that info in the tools > options section. I believe Eudora will use the dominant info for all persona unless you go in and change the dominant info when checking a different account.
briton replies: Nope. As you set up each other persona it is the same as another "account" in Outlook and Outlook Express (they are the only three I work any more so don't ask about others lol). Once you have them setup, although the Dominant will come up from the Tools Options (where settings apply to a persona), you can get the dominant ones the same way as the non-dominant ones as Pavel says, highlight the persona (including Dominant if you like) and hit Alt-Enter or right-click>Properties. For all persona, that will give you details of that personas config. I make it a point always to change the Dominant persona settings that way and not through Tools Options. You will see why if you use the Eudora.ini editing method below.
I may be in a state of further confusion due to my machine being a client on a Wingate network (which is where the 192.168.0.1 came from?)
briton replies: 192.168.0.1 is the default LAN (or any other non-internet net you are on) IP address on windows machines for your own computer. 127.0.0.1 is the default IP for localhost. For most of us for most usages, these are the same machine. BUT if you make a point of ALWAYS using 127.0.0.1 for localhost and a 192.168.0.x (with mask 255.255.255.0) for any LAN IP you need, it will ensure that proxy programs such as avast! can't get lost as well. As it happens, as well as now having two internal software proxies (avast and accelerator), I am on an ICS client machine so I don't have 192.168.0.1 as that is on the ICS host which connects to the internet, has the firewall etc. Another good reason to ensure that you use 127.0.0.1 when you are talking about your own machine within your own machine as that one doesn't change for the LAN.

(If you have more than one proxy on your own machine, just make sure you daisy-chain them in the right order - avast! help is excellent on this and helped me ensure that my ISP's accelerator (bellsouth.net), which as well as web browsing, accelerates incoming POP if required, was in the right place in the chain.)
If I reach waaaay back it seems Outlook Express did not have this problem, but I switched to Eudora for easy archiving.
briton replies:  Outlook and Outlook Express now can do much of what Eudora can do in terms of Accounts. However, one thing that is NOT possible with them (in addition to allowing some amazing macros which I use to extract things from emails which I never read but want data from and a whole bunch of other things), is the ability to simply change the info for a whole string of persona by running through the eudora.ini file. Lots of help in the Eudora manuals about that (always backup the ini file and close Eudora before doing it!) Basically, if you get ONE persona doing what you want it to, you can then simply copy the relevant settings to all the others in the ini file. HOWEVER, watch out because it is worth checking that your avast! configuration isn't going to go wrong.
And Oy, drat drat drat, since I posted here yesterday the pwds are a prob Again!
briton replies: I checked my previous post on that and tested it. Yes, EVERY time a setting in the eudora.ini file relating to any persona (including the old dominatrix lol) gets changed, Eudora now requests a password for that persona next time you use it to send/receive.

I am now upgraded to Eudora 6 sponsored. YAY! Thanks JEDs. You DID have at least ONE of the answers and I am now sending and receiving mail on ALL personae through avast without problem (and I don't lose the passwords yet either). I will run out the way I set it up (it was VERY easy) in a separate post.
So much for blissful ignorance.

Briton, if you figure this out I will be back to copy it.

BTW, I once thought I had the pwd prob licked by changing UseDefaultSmtp=1 to 0 in avast4.ini file, but it would change itself back to 1.
briton replies: Back but I need to work on getting the "instructions" short and sweet before I post them. As for ignorance, if there is anything I posted incorrectly about the IP addresses, networks etc, someone please correct my ignorance  :-*

Regarding the UseDefaultSmtp=1 - mine did that too. Leave it like that. If you are using Eudora relay, it is fine (tested every which way to and from all persona and avast checked out and in on all of them and the headers showed that the routing was correct too).