Author Topic: just installed-where is it?  (Read 2223 times)

BobbyC

just installed-where is it?
« on: July 18, 2013, 06:13:18 PM »
just installed latest free version on Win 8x64. No icon on task bar and shortcuts tell me they are bad. Exe files in the program files (not program files x 64) do nothing. What's going on?

Offline A. User

Re: just installed-where is it?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 06:45:06 PM »
Hi BobbyC,
Did you see some errors in the installation proccess? Have you tried to repair avast through the control panel? Can you open AvastUI.exe in the avast folder?

BobbyC

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 06:04:24 PM »
I watched the installation closely to make sure no googware was installing and I saw no errors. Avast is not listed in control panel. When I used the search box, I found that avast GUI is enabled in task manager, but no avast processes were listed or running. Programs and features told me an error ocurred while trying to uninstall. The first time I installed I missed the little checkbox to avoid the googware. The install was not complete when I aborted it. I want no googware on my new pc. So I ununstalled the program and searched for remaining reg keys, which there were many. Keys deleted for a clean install. As I stated, the exe files in the avast folder were useless. I will now try to uninstall again and remove leftovers. If this installation doesn't work, I give up. The only reason I hold on is for the bootscan capability. I use Your Uninstaller for uninstalls and JV16 for finding reg keys. Thanks for the reply

BobbyC

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 06:06:45 PM »
I should note that with the custom install, I passed on installing remote, gadget, and secureline. (that I remember)

Offline A. User

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 08:44:49 PM »
Hi, Have you used the special uninstall utility? If not, please follow the steps here: http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility in order to remove all traces of avast and then run a clean install. You need to restart in safe mode before running the uninstall utility. You can see how to do this here: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstricks/ht/smsysconfig.htm/
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 08:53:22 PM by liubomirwm »

BobbyC

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 03:38:21 PM »
Thank you for the links. I did not know about this. Very disturbing was the fact that I verified the install was corrupt and tried to manually delete what was left after installation. What I found was that the remaining files would not delete. Got the message that I need admin permission, but I am running as admin! This is not acceptable, and I never got this with XP. Anyway, I figured the time I had in so far was lost and opted to reinstall the OS. I will save the info you posted, I'm sure I will need it at some point. Thanks again.