Author Topic: License insertion failure  (Read 2473 times)

sergeich

License insertion failure
« on: July 18, 2013, 04:14:01 AM »
Hi, we updated Avast Suite to the latest version because of a stuck mirror and license thrown away for no good reason. Got the updated license, installed the latest version of setup_console_epsp. It won't accept a brand new license and won't get a trial either. See the attached screen shots.

We tried manually inserting it, changing permissions to everyone = 777 to no avail :(

Please, help. We're a reseller of Avast and there are way too many problems out of the blue, it's tough to explain to customers why we insisted on Avast
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 05:00:26 AM by sergeich »

sergeich

Re: License insertion failure
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 05:58:04 AM »
Is anybody home?

Offline KDibble

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 07:53:37 PM »
I'm having essentially the same problem. I got a "license warning" and the SOA lost all connections to the workstations.

I tried reinserting the license a few times. See my post here, "LicenseUtil.exe Windows Exception Code 0xc0000409" (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=130184.0).

My reseller arranged for Avast to issue a new license to me. I put that license on the server desktop and used the Insert License procedure. It failed, even after a reboot.

After getting no help for that, I poked around some more and discovered:

The ORIGINAL license file was not in the location where I had saved it when I originally installed it.

The "licence file location" setting in Admin>Settings>Advanced Settings in the SOA had not been updated. It still showed the original license file in the original location.

I've tried reinserting the old license, and then reinserting the new license, several times. In all cases the system remains in "Waiting for Trial" status, and the "licence file location" setting does not change. I've tried changing that setting manually to point to the new license in the proper location. That has no effect.

I am getting no help with any of my problems from Avast! staff, and only scant notice from the reseller. This is incredibly frustrating.

sergeich

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 08:53:34 PM »
I've tried moving the setting for the file location to another simple path like c:\avast\ - no difference. When I tried clicking "Request trial" it did generate a new license, moved the good one to .BAK file and failed with the same error message. Clearly the function checking the license is screwed up. We can't troubleshoot it, tweak it, recode it, etc.

Dear Avast, wake up. There are plenty of strong competition out there. When several folks are reporting similar issues it clearly indicates a problem with the software itself, not user problem, not an unorthodox environment. In my experience Avast products were never fully tested and ready for production but I was willing to work it out because of the features / price ratio. Sometimes it would work as designed. Now it simply failed on us out of the blue and not working at all after the installation of the greatest and latest.

sergeich

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 05:43:33 PM »
Here's a "solution" for all it's worth:

1) Reinstalled / Repaired a few times
2) Restarted a couple times
3) Moved the license file location to c:\avast through advanced settings and granted "Everyone permissions" to the folder
4) Restarted again and it worked out

3,4 just might do the trick