Author Topic: Latest Avast and hotmail in outlook express ?  (Read 30425 times)

scheib

Re: Latest Avast and hotmail in outlook express ?
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2005, 08:19:41 AM »
SMPT mail is SMTP mail Http......is

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2005, 08:46:28 AM »
Well despite the histrionics ... nobody has been paying for MSN accounts for the past ten years.  I got my free MSN account when MSN first appeared. 

SMTP is not HTTP ... I assume we are agreed.

I doubt that anyone, anywhere is currently accessing MSN or Hotmail accounts with direct SMTP access.

Oh ... and yes, I do understand the issue. 

But, I confess, I do not know what the "CA" is that is working fine after you uninstalled "this product".  Can you advise please?

Only since 1985 ... why you are still a young 'un ... plenty of time for you to mature and post in a civil manner.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 09:05:50 AM by alanrf »

PCdreamer

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2005, 09:36:52 AM »
Despite all of my problems with my connection, I've not had any with Avast and using Outlook Express for accessing Hotmail.  I was concerned when I saw this thread. I wonder if perhaps you need to specify something to do with the proxy in Outlook. I know I've tried that in Firefox and IE, under Internet Options, hoping that will have an affect on my current situation.  It could be that is the problem, but then why it wouldn't have occurred with previous versions of Avast I don't know.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2005, 10:20:05 AM »
PCdreamer,

while I too have not experienced problems with accessing Hotmail via Outlook Express with Avast scanning active I do not doubt our friends in this thread who do have a real problem. 

From my reading of the posts it seems that most, if not all, seem to believe the problems for them with Hotmail (and Lycos) started after they upgraded to the present 4.6.652 release.

I assume (and hope) the folks on the Avast team are concentrating on the changes from 4.6.623 to 4.6.652 to see if they can identify what may have contributed to the problem.

Unfortunately, it seems there is no pattern that is yet clear of other proxy (or maybe other port intercept) software that could be a factor in the problem.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 10:22:18 AM by alanrf »

Darookan

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2005, 02:33:36 AM »
Well...

While this problem is not fixed, I had to disable the WebShield process in order to download my Hotmail messages in OE.

But I'm concerned about how unsecure my pc is without this service running.

I saw many people posting messages in this thread that are not about this problem especifically, even advertising applications that are not related to it (corruption of OE databases is definetively NOT the subject here).
Also, the matter msn-nor-hotmail-does-not-provide-pop-services should be discussed in an off-topic thread, where I would be happy to join in and put some ideas too. What I mean is that we all should concentrate in try to find objective paths to help the avast! team to help us out :)

BTW, alanrf: I'm having the same problem in BOTH MSN and Hotmail accounts (I have about 2 Hotmail and 1 MSN account, all of then active and in my OE). Despite what others may say, you're right: Both use WebDav (or HTTP-Dav as you use to call), but only the server addresses are different. :)

Post Update:

A little later tonight, I decided to update my home pc to version 4.6.652 just to verify if the problem occurs in XP too. It does. I took another look at the network acivity with a netstat-like program I have and got this when OE "waits" to download a Hotmail message body:

Process         PID     Local IP     Local Port    Remote IP    Remote Port    State          Proto    Path
Unknown         0       192.168.1.5  1336          64.4.30.253  80             TIME_WAIT      TCP   
Unknown         0       192.168.1.5  1328          64.4.30.253  80             TIME_WAIT      TCP   
Unknown         0       127.0.0.1    1325          127.0.0.1    143            TIME_WAIT      TCP   
ashMaiSv.exe    496     127.0.0.1    12119                                     LISTEN         TCP      C:\Arquivos de programas\Utilitários\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
ashMaiSv.exe    496     127.0.0.1    143                                       LISTEN         TCP      C:\Arquivos de programas\Utilitários\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
ashMaiSv.exe    496     127.0.0.1    110                                       LISTEN         TCP      C:\Arquivos de programas\Utilitários\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
ashMaiSv.exe    496     127.0.0.1    25                                        LISTEN         TCP      C:\Arquivos de programas\Utilitários\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
ashWebSv.exe    3280    127.0.0.1    12080         127.0.0.1    1335           ESTABLISHED    TCP      C:\Arquivos de programas\Utilitários\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
msimn.exe       3560    127.0.0.1    1204                                      LISTEN         UDP      C:\Arquivos de programas\Outlook Express\msimn.exe
msimn.exe       3560    127.0.0.1    1335          127.0.0.1    12080          ESTABLISHED    TCP      C:\Arquivos de programas\Outlook Express\msimn.exe

Surely there are more lines in my log, but I put here only the relevant ones. If you nice guys take a look at the last three lines, you can see the WebShield and OE acting. Would this be a loopback?? Just a guess...

About the "Unknown" processes, I believe its my Sygate Personal Firewall tunneling the requests to outside (64.4.30.253 is the Hotmail server IP). I can do another test with this disabled, but I don't think its the case, since my office PC does not have a firewall and the problem is the same.

Needless to say, I had to stop the process again...

Hope it helps 8)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2005, 03:22:27 AM by Darookan »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2005, 05:34:25 AM »
My apologies to readers of the thread for my response to user scheib ... while some of the points were relevant I should not have allowed my irritation to take over. 

Since I did not want to clutter this thread with other information I posted in a separate thread that I had been able to create a circumstance in which accessing Hotmail ended in a looped port situation between the Webshield (ashWebSv.exe) and OE (msimn.exe).  Any further evocations of OE produced the same loop and Hotmail could not be accessed.  It has drawn no response from the Avast team.  It looks remarkably like the information posted here. 

I was only able to introduce the problem when I used an IP trace tool (TDImon).  What trace tool did you use Darookan?

However, I suppose I should also point you to this quote from a member of the Avast team - recently posted.

if you speak about Hotmail WebDAV from Outlook Express this should be already working for users running WinNT based systems.

You can see it here:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=13247.msg111721#msg111721

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2005, 05:55:03 AM »
Darookan mentioned the use of the Sygate Personal Firewall in a recent update to the thread.  Which made me ponder ... 

Since we know that some 4.6.652 users are not experiencing a problem with Hotmail access via WebDav and some others are it might be a reasonable inference that the problem is caused by some form of interaction between Avast 4.6.652 and another system component that is not common to all users.  (I can imagine any Avast team member at this point rolling eyes and saying "how long did it take to come up with that deduction?").

So perhaps we could provide a bit more info on resident system components that might be involved and see if there is any common component for users experiencing the problem. 

I'm not seeing the problem ... using latest ZoneAlarm free edition Firewall and no other proxy, not aware of any other port intercept software in permanent use. 

Darookan

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2005, 07:09:11 AM »
What trace tool did you use Darookan?
It is a simple netstat-like GUI application called Active Ports, by SmartLine (www.ntutility.com).

(...) some 4.6.652 users are not experiencing a problem with Hotmail access via WebDav and some others are (...)
I feel I had one info I missed to relate... For some reason that I don't know, the Webshield service was not activated in any of my systems when it was first installed (I can't precisely recall in which version it was included... maybe in 4.6). In other words, the webshield service was installed, but it was left disabled by the installer. When I noticed the changes in that version, I manually enabled Webshield.
So my question is: Would be that service enabled on the non-problemmatic systems??

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2005, 09:41:52 AM »
There may be signs of hope on the horizon ....

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=13247.msg111746#msg111746

Darookan

« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2005, 06:39:54 PM »
Well... I hope so...  :-\

Darookan

« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2005, 11:55:40 PM »
Hey??? Did this thread just died??? And without a Avast! Team feedback?

I'm still concerned about the risks of having my WebShield disabled... :(

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2005, 08:06:36 AM »
Hey??? Did this thread just died??? And without a Avast! Team feedback?

I'm still concerned about the risks of having my WebShield disabled... :(

Darookan, if you are using WebShield in transparent mode, you should already have no problems (as I have announced in the other thread linked above). For proxy mode, I have also offered a solution.

This whole topic is not ignored by avast! team. Partial but working solution was provided a week ago, complete fix is already being tested and will be released in the next program update.

Lukas.

Darookan

« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2005, 07:41:07 PM »
(...) Partial but working solution was provided a week ago, (...)

As I already posted here when asked, all attempts to solve or minimize this problem that avast! members and other dedicated supporters suggested (unfortunately) did not work. The only working solution I found is by COMPLETELY DISABLING WebShield (no, that service is not working in any mode) and, as I wrote before: "But I'm concerned about how unsecure my pc is without this service running."

So, please lukor, could you post here again the working solution you just mentioned?

Thanks  :)

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2005, 10:53:53 PM »
Darookan,

while you are waiting for the response from Lukas you may want to check out this thread:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=13056.msg112853#msg112853

It appears that, after a recent VPS update, Frisian was again able to use WebDav access to Hotmail.  This appears (to me) to be the fix that Lukas was speaking of. 

If you have not checked recently it may be worth checking again to see if the VPS update cleared the problem for you too.

Darookan

« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2005, 12:57:55 AM »
alanrf,

Thanks a lot for the link! I really missed that thread while looking for a answer for the problem. You are right, the VPS solved the problem, as I could see by enabling WebShield and testing OE again, just a couple of minutes after reading your reply. It works flawlessly now.

Keep doing your good job, and thank you very much for all the help throughout this time!!  :D
« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 01:01:32 AM by Darookan »