Author Topic: Suggestions for avast! (not a debate forum)  (Read 30731 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Suggestions for avast! (not a debate forum)
« on: September 26, 2003, 05:18:39 AM »
The purpose of this forum - maybe my purpose posting it - is just to list suggestions for avast!.
If the users want to discuss - they may be debated and you are free for it, of course - I make the first suggestion of this forum: open a new forum with a specific topic.  ;)

I think these suggestions while reading the foruns (maybe one of them is yours!, if I have to pay royalties I´ll take it off...  ;D). Maybe some of them are already implemented in the new versions. If not, I hope somebody of avast! team said something about...  8)

I have no problem to edit or change any of the following suggestions if I comitte a mistake.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2003, 05:23:07 AM by Technical »
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Suggestions for avast! (not a debate forum)
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2003, 05:21:08 AM »
avast4.ini

1. It´s absolutely necessary a GUI interface for avast4.ini configuration.

2. Maybe with links or help text added in the dialogs.

3. This will save much time of support (and forum support time too!)

4. A configurable key VirusMessage into [UserInterface] section.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2003, 05:23:29 AM »
Installation

1. Turn back the feature Repair at Windows Installer (not only change the avast! components).

2. A possibility to configure what modules must be installed (which providers, for instance: standard shield, Script Blocker, Outlook, Internet provider, P2P, etc.

3. At the first use (after the boot), the installation could call the Mail Protection Wizard automatically (if other provider than MS Outlook/Exchange was installed). Sorry, the version 4.1.268 is already configurated with this behavior...
« Last Edit: September 29, 2003, 02:41:49 AM by Technical »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2003, 05:24:07 AM »
Configuration

1. The possibility to scan compressed files up to a defined file size, making the resident shield faster and avoiding system freeze.

2. A possibility to set this behavior for the new files (for instance, a button in resident shield configuration (advanced).

3. An option to change the notification text (window) in case of a virus is found.

4. An option to disable (or enable) from log files the password protected files.

5. Must have a security feature to avoid the command net stop "avast! Antivirus" or this behavior.
    A malicious program could disable the antivirus on the system!!!
    The password security just protect the settings and stop/resume providers of avast! at system tray.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2003, 05:25:04 AM by Technical »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2003, 05:24:38 AM »
VRDB

1. Need a configuration page (options): interval of the updating the VRDB not only from avast4.ini file (setting the value RunInterval in the [VRDB] section)

2. A text tooltip for the "i" icon or, better, a progress bar of the creation/update of VRDB.

3. Configuration of VRDB and ODBC drivers (switching avast! to use XML file).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2003, 05:25:28 AM »
Updating

1. The module "very silent" without the "blue panel", icon on system tray or update progress bars.

2. Always release the update before sendind the iAVS e-mail (to avoid "false update available" information).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2003, 05:26:04 AM »
Screen Saver module

The avast! Screen Saver - besides it´s not the "main" feature of the antivirus - could be highly improved:

1. The "blue window" could be have transparency effects (Windows 2000/XP).

2. At least, the application could give the user the possibility to set the colors of the window backgroud and text.

3. The movement of the "blue window" could be set to zero (actually, it is only possible to set just from 1 to 60 seconds).

4. The window could be a "scroll line" at the bottom of the Screen Saver. With this behavior it will avoid the "screen refresh" problem of the Saver. For example, with "photos" changing in the screen, the avast! window won´t left a distortion of colors behind the movement.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2003, 05:26:55 AM »
Simple User Interface

1. I think it´s wellcome - if posible - a feature (Menu item) to access the Configuration without loading the Splash Screen (with or without memory test). Maybe it could work like a avast4.ini GUI interface.

2. Receive the iNews by e-mail (HTML or TXT) and not just by the Splash Screen (or the page iNews at Enhanced Interface).

3. A Menu command to Switch between Simple and Enhanced Interface, i.e, call Simple User Interface by running ashSimpl.exe and ashEnhcd.exe for Enhanced User Interface.

4. Automatic run of Mail Protection Wizard (un-protectin e-mail accounts) when license has expired.

5. Settings for enable/disable providers at startup.

6. Enable/Disable providers at startup.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2003, 05:29:19 AM »
Enhanced User Interface

1. Show status of the VRDB generation.

2. Must have a security feature to avoid start the Enhanced User Interface without a password. Actually, the password just protect the settings of the avast! tasks, not even the general settings.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2003, 05:29:54 AM »
Help files

1. Description of the System DSN (Access Driver) in the ODBC Data Source Administrator named Avast4.
    If VRDB is not created by ODBC drivers, what is the stored info? Previous sessions, some settings, avast! objects (such as tasks, sessions, mail alerts, scheduler events)
    How this feature scans the system and creates backups for restoring after a virus corruption.
    How the feature communicates via RPC and open a listening service on port 6100 (trojan behavior?)

2. Parameters to scan file downloads: use ashQuick.exe without any parameter.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2003, 05:30:23 AM »
Web services

1. On-line scan.

2. Virus alert (by e-mail, not the iAVS update).

3. Number (and other informations) about the current VPS file.

4. An avast! skin maker (a separated application for single download, of course not included into avast! engine).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2003, 05:30:51 AM »
Virus Chest

1. Some files do not move to Chest (tests with eicar files) (?)

2. Restoring from "Recycle bin" does not detect eicar files being "restored" to disk (?).

mantra

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2003, 11:30:22 AM »
"2. A possibility to configure what modules must be installed (which providers, for instance: standard shield, Script Blocker, Outlook, Internet provider, P2P, etc."

I AGREE!!!!!!!!

"1. The possibility to scan compressed files up to a defined file size, making the resident shield faster and avoiding system freeze."

I AGREE! i gave one karma to u  ;D

"1. The module "very silent" without the "blue panel", icon on system tray or update progress bars."

add this
[AAVM]
NeverShowInfo=1
the blue pannel will disapear!

and maybe a default botton and a brower in advandec scanner in resident shield

the reverend

mantra

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2003, 11:31:52 AM »
Technical
do u read often my postes??!

because i was the first to give some advise like u
for example to setup the max compressed to scan!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2003, 02:10:14 PM »
Technical
do u read often my postes??!

Of course! Read my first post in this forum: I think these suggestions while reading the foruns (maybe one of them is yours!, if I have to pay royalties I´ll take it off...).  ;D

Btw, I give you a karma too!  ;)